Ah, bacon grease! Be sure when you are greasing your gun to save some for your leather boots( or moccasins). Especially popular on the rainy west coast in grizzly country.
Ohhhh .... that is how they bait grizzlies on the west coast ...... nice!!
Ah, bacon grease! Be sure when you are greasing your gun to save some for your leather boots( or moccasins). Especially popular on the rainy west coast in grizzly country.
I am not convinced that the mountain men / trappers cleaned their guns nearly as often as we do today. I recall reading of Kit Carson's group being attacked somewhere up around Oregon. His gun was unloaded because he had fired it earlier in the day because it had not been shot for several days. I also think it was not uncommon for heavily used rifles to be rebored every few years. The reboring was necessary primarily because of rusting that wear from shooting. Finally a well fitted lock does not have to be removed and re oiled every day or two. If it is well fitted, most of the oil stays in place and very little moisture makes it into the lock recess
cheers mooncoon
Ahhhhhh .... now that is a find. I ordered a copy ...... thanks!!
Would the rifle not also be protected in a water-proof scabbard as well? I seem to recall Tom Seleck in Quigley Down Under having his Sharps wrapped up when travelling.
I would imagine that they had packed a gun worm.![]()



























