How did the mountain men protect their rifles/muskets in the 18th and 19th century?

I am not convinced that the mountain men / trappers cleaned their guns nearly as often as we do today. I recall reading of Kit Carson's group being attacked somewhere up around Oregon. His gun was unloaded because he had fired it earlier in the day because it had not been shot for several days. I also think it was not uncommon for heavily used rifles to be rebored every few years. The reboring was necessary primarily because of rusting that wear from shooting. Finally a well fitted lock does not have to be removed and re oiled every day or two. If it is well fitted, most of the oil stays in place and very little moisture makes it into the lock recess

cheers mooncoon
 
I am not convinced that the mountain men / trappers cleaned their guns nearly as often as we do today. I recall reading of Kit Carson's group being attacked somewhere up around Oregon. His gun was unloaded because he had fired it earlier in the day because it had not been shot for several days. I also think it was not uncommon for heavily used rifles to be rebored every few years. The reboring was necessary primarily because of rusting that wear from shooting. Finally a well fitted lock does not have to be removed and re oiled every day or two. If it is well fitted, most of the oil stays in place and very little moisture makes it into the lock recess

cheers mooncoon

I think you are right, sir. The original BR smokepoles I've seen were pretty badly corroded.
 
Would the rifle not also be protected in a water-proof scabbard as well? I seem to recall Tom Seleck in Quigley Down Under having his Sharps wrapped up when travelling.
 
Beeswax, lanolin, graphite would have been available then as well... few drops of melted beeswax would be a great bullet lube and seal. Dry rubbing it on components would smear off a protective and lubricating surface. It's something I'd think to do, so whether or not there is a record of it then it stands to reason it was used: it's been used in candle making for centuries. I melt it onto my leather boots for repelling water.
 
We way over clean our guns now.

I think it largely is a product of advertising for cleaning products making people believe that they have to clean their guns 3 times a day even if it has not been outside. If it gets wet, dryu and oil it. If it gets dirty to the point where it could cause malfunctions, clean it then oil it.

Especially considering modern protective coatings on the guns.

Shawn
 
Would the rifle not also be protected in a water-proof scabbard as well? I seem to recall Tom Seleck in Quigley Down Under having his Sharps wrapped up when travelling.

Personally I am torn between a scabbard that is water-proof and one that can breathe .... a little bit of moisture trapped in a water-proof scabbard will surely lead to rust. So that moisture needs a way to be able to escape I guess ....

And that is why I am curious as to what they did in the old times ....
 
I question how much bees wax would have been available, let alone used, beyond the settlements. Honey bees are not native to North America. They were introduced by Colonists. It would be interesting to know how quickly they went wild and migrated across the continent. Trading post order and inventory records might provide some insight.
 
"Ohhhh .... that is how they bait grizzlies on the west coast ...... nice!! "

Went up to Hyder, Alaska a few years ago. The latest news at the time was that the cook from the Sealaska Hotel went camping, but still had on his grease-covered shirt. Bear thought he was delicious.
 
Bear and Beaver Grease on outside ... carried in a soft leather type sheath, to protect from elements, easy to slip off, believe it or not - loaded when they were going to be fired.....to make sure they would fire (flintlock). From my 3rd Great Grandfather's notes (trapper) Quebec. Knife and short axe in between........ or rifle-club
 
Back
Top Bottom