Can't stand lead. Help with alternatives please

Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Fredericton
I had high lead levels in my blood years back. At the time I was shooting lead reloads indoors at IPSC matches. I had to switch to jacketed bullets and copper plated bullets. Also stepped away from indoor ranges. Lead levels have been good for 10 years now.

I just picked up my first antique. From a fellow CGN'r a Webley British Bulldog in 450. He was shooting 455 Mk2 ammo in it and from what I read it would be fine. I picked up some Hornady .454 255gr lead bullets.

I would like a cleaner alternative. I've been thinking of plated Berry's or Campros. Also have been considering powder coated bullets like Xmetal.

Which ones would you think cause less barrel wear and issues?

Thanks
Moe
 
.... and shoot in a range with adequate ventilation or outdoors.

You seem to have a particular sensitivity to lead. Did you ever do a lot of bumper-to-bumper driving in the era of leaded gasoline? One of my supervisors put in for a transfer when he discovered how much carbon monoxide he was exposed to in grid lock travel during his two hour one way daily commute. It was having a effect on his health.

I've been shooting lead bullets since the 1970's in IPSC and BPCRs. In fact I still do. The indoor range we used lacked ventilation save for an exhaust fan that sucked away the blue smoke. To my knowledge, none of us suffered ill effects from the indoor shooting. Many of our shooters have switched to coated bullets for the reasons stated.

A bigger concern to me was the handling of bullets during the reloading process. I tried wearing vinyl gloves but that didn't work due to loss of dexterity.

One of our shooters did his bullet casting over the winter in a double garage, the doors closed. He was able to get his blood checked regularly at work and his lead levels never became a concern. I cast in an outdoor shed, leaving the doors open. I've had my lead level checked and it was not a concern.
 
Last edited:
I would think plated or coated bullets would be a safe alternative. I've had myself tested for lead a couple years ago , and was found to be in the safe zone. I also make sure to wash my hands well when handling lead, or wear gloves
 
Thanks folks. Seems from your response and some research that either plated or powder coated will do the trick to keep down smoke and lead exposure.

Now the question is which one is better for the old antique's barrel?

Thanks again
Moe
 
The powder coated should be quite easy on the barrel. I'm not familiar with all the chemistry and physics of the stuff but it gives higher velocity for the same powder it must be very smooth and slick. If it has soft lead inside it should be very soft and easily deformed to the rifling. Probably the best you can hope for.

As for zinc, there's got to be good reasons it's not popular. Maybe talk to a welder who has got a whiff of it working with galvanized steel....
 
The powder coated should be quite easy on the barrel. I'm not familiar with all the chemistry and physics of the stuff but it gives higher velocity for the same powder it must be very smooth and slick. If it has soft lead inside it should be very soft and easily deformed to the rifling. Probably the best you can hope for.

As for zinc, there's got to be good reasons it's not popular. Maybe talk to a welder who has got a whiff of it working with galvanized steel....

Thanks for the advice. Me thinks xmetal will be getting some of my business.

Cheers
Moe
 
Back
Top Bottom