Rebluing an antique?

For quality rebluing, Jason at Gunco in Nepean.

But rebluing an antique makes me a little queasy. Depending on what it is, a lot of harm can be done.
 
For quality rebluing, Jason at Gunco in Nepean.

But rebluing an antique makes me a little queasy. Depending on what it is, a lot of harm can be done.

This. Depending on the age, bluing might not be an original finish to the piece. Having seen a beautifully blued original Brown Bess in our LGS a few years back, with lustrous refurbished woodwork, it might be a grave error. Friend of mine had to have the crown of his .32-20 Winchester recut, and to his horror the 'smith had reblued the entire barrel and magazine, this reducing the value of this formerly immaculate little rifle by 50%.
 
Sensitive refinishing/restoration on a "using" antique gun is one thing. Lipstick on a pig is a whole other realm.

High gloss bluing where a soft rust blue is called for is a travesty. Refinishing that washes out markings or engraving is a travesty. Sanding a stock resulting in eroded lines and edges is a travesty.

Most collectors value worn original finish much more than a refinished gun. You have to know your smith and know what the end result should be.
 
Here is an example. Chap brought a US issue 1911 Colt into my shop; wanted it reblued. It was faded, patchy blue/brown. Serial number was 12XX. It was in a US cavalry holster dated 1917. I refused to touch it, told him why. He still wanted it reblued, so it would look better. Don't know if he ever found someone who would do it.
Another example: a German over/under swivel barrel rifle/smoothbore gun, with relief carved fancy walnut stock, converted to percussion. ca 1780. The iron parts had been polished and hot blued. What kind of idiot would do that?
 
Last edited:
I once had a chrome framed Browning High Power I bought from a guy. Once I had a good look at it at home I discovered the Nazi Germany markings. That's right some idiot plated an occupied BHP. I have a Webley RIC revolver. It has the standard 4.5" barrel. I would rather have a short barrel Webley MP which is essentially the same gun but a shorter barrel. There is no way I will have the barrel of the RIC cut short. I probably couldn't find a gunsmith who would do it LOL. If I want an MP bad enough I will get one. I wont blue the RIC as it is dark enough and as tiriaq already stated the guns are better off left in the original finish.

Cheers
Moe
 
This. Depending on the age, bluing might not be an original finish to the piece. Having seen a beautifully blued original Brown Bess in our LGS a few years back, with lustrous refurbished woodwork, it might be a grave error. Friend of mine had to have the crown of his .32-20 Winchester recut, and to his horror the 'smith had reblued the entire barrel and magazine, this reducing the value of this formerly immaculate little rifle by 50%.

Blueing a Brown Bess is completely wrong lol
 
A friend of mine drilled and tapped a montreal savage '99 for a customer who told him he would get the next guy to do it if he would not.

"Family gun" so he wouldn't accept a new Savage '99 (or anything else) in trade... (late '80s early '90s)
 
Personally, a person can do whatever they want to their firearm. I can shake my head, cuss under my breath, and call them 20 different kinds of stupid, but at the end of the day, it's THEIR firearm. To FUBAR a collectible or rare firearm is indeed a sin but it's not my place to judge or comment. If the cash ever permits, I'd like a good condition bush carry pistol, something like a .455 Webley or .44 S&W. Depending on condition, I may have it blued as it's to be working carried firearm, not an occasional shooter and display piece. If it ever came to pass and I was called out on it, I'd just tell whoever that it's my piece and none of their damned business. There, my 2 cents!
 
Personally, a person can do whatever they want to their firearm. I can shake my head, cuss under my breath, and call them 20 different kinds of stupid, but at the end of the day, it's THEIR firearm. To FUBAR a collectible or rare firearm is indeed a sin but it's not my place to judge or comment. If the cash ever permits, I'd like a good condition bush carry pistol, something like a .455 Webley or .44 S&W. Depending on condition, I may have it blued as it's to be working carried firearm, not an occasional shooter and display piece. If it ever came to pass and I was called out on it, I'd just tell whoever that it's my piece and none of their damned business. There, my 2 cents!

My thoughts exactly, what do I care what someone does to there own property, most on this site don’t like the government or anyone else telling them what to do with there property but these same people seem to think it’s ok to tell someone what to do to there 1911, Browning High Power or Brown Bess. Almost laughable if it was not so ironic and boarder line hypocritical. Each to there own and should be free to do with there property as they see fit, everyone else should keep there options to themselves. That is the definition of a free country.
 
My thoughts exactly, what do I care what someone does to there own property, most on this site don’t like the government or anyone else telling them what to do with there property but these same people seem to think it’s ok to tell someone what to do to there 1911, Browning High Power or Brown Bess. Almost laughable if it was not so ironic and boarder line hypocritical. Each to there own and should be free to do with there property as they see fit, everyone else should keep there options to themselves. That is the definition of a free country.

They are free to do with their property as they see fit, no ones stopping them. Just as we are free to call them a idiot for doing so if we see fit. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and the right to express them, a hallmark of a free country. Don’t want opinions, don’t post on a public forum. It’s pretty simple.
 
Well one day is may not be their property. And just because you own something doesnt mean you should be allowed to ruin it.You shoudld try and preserve history when you can. So talking someone out of something dumb is often a good idea. Some times people dont know what they have.

If the australian government bought the lithgow arms museum should they be able to cut them up as its their property?

I sure hope no gobal antigun group buys The Swedish Army Museum.
 
Evanguy, I suppose you feel entitled to tell me what I should be doing with my yard too.
Get a grip.
I can do what ever I want, even ill advised mods, to any firearm that I own - and it is none of your business.
Bubba's mods only makes the surviving unaltered firearms more valuable.

Having said that, I would advise against any out of character refinishing of antique guns.
 
Evanguy, I suppose you feel entitled to tell me what I should be doing with my yard too.
Get a grip.
I can do what ever I want, even ill advised mods, to any firearm that I own - and it is none of your business.
Bubba's mods only makes the surviving unaltered firearms more valuable.

Having said that, I would advise against any out of character refinishing of antique guns.

X2!!!! For the sake of argument, someone buys an antique bush carry pistol (.455, .44 Russian or S&W, .41 Colt, etc.). They buy it to be used, not for collector value or display. They customize it, re-blue it, whatever, and carry it with them as insurance. They have no intention of ever putting it on the market and couldn't give a good rat's butt about "collectibility". Of course, to a collector, it's a sin what's been done to it. To the guy who owns it, carries it, uses it, it's exactly what he wanted. How is that anyone's business but his?
 
How long is bush carry going to be legal? It only exists because of sloppy legal draftsmanship, not because of legislative intent. When the Gov't remedies this situation, the value of the gun will be as an antique, not as a shooter.
 
Well one day is may not be their property. And just because you own something doesnt mean you should be allowed to ruin it.You shoudld try and preserve history when you can. So talking someone out of something dumb is often a good idea. Some times people dont know what they have.

I have yet to see a gun "ruined" by a competent re-bluing. Try to talk someone out of it, OK. But don't try to play God/Gov't.
 
Back
Top Bottom