Casting and Paper Cartridges

Re3iever

Regular
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
Finally got around to casting conical bullets for my percussion revolvers. This is my first time actually casting my own bullets.

Now I am making up paper cartridges to shoot in my Uberti 1858 New Model Army at the range this weekend.

Retreever

CastConical.jpg
 

Attachments

  • CastConical.jpg
    CastConical.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 126
I'm gonna be doing some of the same, except round balls for a flintlock.
I need to figure out what paper to use and how to line the patch and ball within the paper, as well as how to seal the bore charge properly behind it.

Love the look of the bullets, I need to get a Minie mould soon.
 
Those rounds look really good. Nice bullets for a first casting session too!

Could you share your process a little more? Are you wetting the paper with just water or something else and do you use a form to create the tapered shape?

I look forward to trying this.
 
Balls in a paper cartridge would generally be undersized without a patch. You would tear the paper, pour down the powder followed by the naked ball, then pack the cartridge paper on top. You can experiment with flower petal shaped patches soaked in grease and wrapped around and stuck to the ball.
 
Balls in a paper cartridge would generally be undersized without a patch. You would tear the paper, pour down the powder followed by the naked ball, then pack the cartridge paper on top. You can experiment with flower petal shaped patches soaked in grease and wrapped around and stuck to the ball.

My understanding is that after the powder is poured in the entire remaining paper cartridge (with ball wrapped in paper and at the top) is inserted and given a couple of good taps with the rammer. This forms a sort of paper sabot around the sub-bore ball and, with a proper powder charge, can give surprising accuracy. There are quite a few useful youtube videos showing paper cartridge construction for flint or percussion muskets.

milsurpo
 
Those rounds look really good. Nice bullets for a first casting session too!

Could you share your process a little more? Are you wetting the paper with just water or something else and do you use a form to create the tapered shape?

I look forward to trying this.

Here's a video that describes the tools I use and how I do it. The papers I use I buy on Amazon

Retreever
 
I'm gonna be doing some of the same, except round balls for a flintlock.
I need to figure out what paper to use and how to line the patch and ball within the paper, as well as how to seal the bore charge properly behind it.

Love the look of the bullets, I need to get a Minie mould soon.

Hopefully this video may be helpful.

Retreever
 
Back
Top Bottom