New to casting and coating.

I always used a thermometer, heat to 700, skim the krap off. I dipped the mould in the hot lead to heat it, sometimes get it a bit hot, sometimes cast too fast and get too hot. Sometimes bullets look a bit frosty, but, I didn't care about that. I got a good pour, fillout is what it shud be, can have a less than +/- 1gr variance on them at 200gr, 2gr or less at 400gr. It just makes it simple. I ran huge heavy sprues, whack them about 3-5 sec after it attains full colour change. I could tell when I did a krap pour as I was doing it, not holding mould the right way under the pour usually. I liked casting, it certainly has a pile of rewards at the finish of the process, and you definitely learn a lot in doing it. And as someone else said, get a 20-25lb pot. If you want a PB gas check maker, look up Pat Marlin's, he has a website now.
 
I always used a thermometer, heat to 700, skim the krap off. I dipped the mould in the hot lead to heat it, sometimes get it a bit hot, sometimes cast too fast and get too hot. Sometimes bullets look a bit frosty, but, I didn't care about that. I got a good pour, fillout is what it shud be, can have a less than +/- 1gr variance on them at 200gr, 2gr or less at 400gr. It just makes it simple. I ran huge heavy sprues, whack them about 3-5 sec after it attains full colour change. I could tell when I did a krap pour as I was doing it, not holding mould the right way under the pour usually. I liked casting, it certainly has a pile of rewards at the finish of the process, and you definitely learn a lot in doing it. And as someone else said, get a 20-25lb pot. If you want a PB gas check maker, look up Pat Marlin's, he has a website now.
Thank you, I'm well stocked for GCs though. I do use a thermometer though, but I want to build a more controlled thermistor than the rotary dial my Lee pot comes with. I'm starting down the rabbit hole on that, ugh. But I know I really don't have to, due to my original aim was to cast some bullets for my Veterrli. BUT it's ballooned into all this!
 
Thank you, I'm well stocked for GCs though. I do use a thermometer though, but I want to build a more controlled thermistor than the rotary dial my Lee pot comes with. I'm starting down the rabbit hole on that, ugh. But I know I really don't have to, due to my original aim was to cast some bullets for my Veterrli. BUT it's ballooned into all this!
I can help yah if you want to build a temperature controller.

 
I always used a thermometer, heat to 700, skim the krap off. I dipped the mould in the hot lead to heat it, sometimes get it a bit hot, sometimes cast too fast and get too hot. Sometimes bullets look a bit frosty, but, I didn't care about that. I got a good pour, fillout is what it shud be, can have a less than +/- 1gr variance on them at 200gr, 2gr or less at 400gr. It just makes it simple. I ran huge heavy sprues, whack them about 3-5 sec after it attains full colour change. I could tell when I did a krap pour as I was doing it, not holding mould the right way under the pour usually. I liked casting, it certainly has a pile of rewards at the finish of the process, and you definitely learn a lot in doing it. And as someone else said, get a 20-25lb pot. If you want a PB gas check maker, look up Pat Marlin's, he has a website now.
There's a guy on gunp0st that makes 1 stroke gas check makers for 98 shipped per die. Way better than pat Marlins system for half the cost. He makes both gas check shanked checked and plain base
 
There's a guy on gunp0st that makes 1 stroke gas check makers for 98 shipped per die. Way better than pat Marlins system for half the cost. He makes both gas check shanked checked and plain base
THe guy who makes Pat Marlin dies is ridiculous and the two stroke process is cumbersum.

I got the plans for single stroke off the net and made my own. Few guys wete even able to only use a drill press to make one.

It's not rocket sience
 
FYI Yomomma is a great wealth of knowledge and very willing to share. I have been casting for decades but he certainly helped me through the PC process. He’s an attribute to CGN. I forgot to mention he also helped with my PID build.
 
Last edited:
I always used a thermometer, heat to 700, skim the krap off. I dipped the mould in the hot lead to heat it, sometimes get it a bit hot, sometimes cast too fast and get too hot. Sometimes bullets look a bit frosty, but, I didn't care about that. I got a good pour, fillout is what it shud be, can have a less than +/- 1gr variance on them at 200gr, 2gr or less at 400gr. It just makes it simple. I ran huge heavy sprues, whack them about 3-5 sec after it attains full colour change. I could tell when I did a krap pour as I was doing it, not holding mould the right way under the pour usually. I liked casting, it certainly has a pile of rewards at the finish of the process, and you definitely learn a lot in doing it. And as someone else said, get a 20-25lb pot. If you want a PB gas check maker, look up Pat Marlin's, he has a website now.
As your mold starts getting overheated you can dial back the pot temperature in small steps until you find the sweet spot.
 
Cast 100,000 plus bullets by hand a year for a few years and tell me if you still like it.
Fair enough!

Forgive my ignorance, I just assumed it was more of a hobby business. I didnt realize it was that big of an operation

If you dont mind my asking, how profitable was it? Im assuming youre more efficient at casting than I am, but it seems to be more a labour of love. I could cast and sell, but I dont think I would be getting much hourly pay to say the least.
 
Fair enough!

Forgive my ignorance, I just assumed it was more of a hobby business. I didnt realize it was that big of an operation

If you dont mind my asking, how profitable was it? Im assuming youre more efficient at casting than I am, but it seems to be more a labour of love. I could cast and sell, but I dont think I would be getting much hourly pay to say the least.
It was profitable enough to be worthwhile but not a gold mine on the scale i did it. Pricing was set to net $40 an hour but didn't include time spent on customer service, ordering, book keeping, eyc. So it was probably closer to $25 hr.
 
Last edited:
It was profitable enough to be worthwhile but not a gold mine on the scale i did it. Pricing was set to net $40 an hour but didn't include time spent on customer service, ordering, book keeping, eyc. So it was probably closer to $25 hr.
I got into it to make obscure caliber bullets, now im doing batches just for plinking with my 303 and some for a 3030. Just small batches is all
 
Back
Top Bottom