Hearing and eye protection

Thousand1000

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommendations for hearing protection?
1. Active vs passive
2. Overear vs in-ear
3. Or double up

For eye protection
I wear glasses, are there goggles that can go over or regular glasses good enough
 
Recommendations for hearing protection?
I wear glasses, are there goggles that can go over or regular glasses good enough

Ear pro. Maybe start with a pair of Walkers Razors active (value to feature ratio is good). Regularly find them on sale for <$80. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't and these will end up being a spare set within a year. A spare set is a good thing. A set of Surefire EP5 ($30) is also good to have in the kit.

Eye pro. If you are near sighted do yourself a solid and buy some prescription safety glasses ($200+). You won't regret having dedicated indestructable shooting glasses on a strap. Whereas goggles that go over your regular frames will be a PITA.
 
Type in that little search box ( best hearing protection) top of the page right hand corner an you will find 10 plus pages of opinions.
Your audiologist suggests or your optometrist are ?
After all they are the real professionals.
Everyone's needs are different especially mine and yours .
 
Type in that little search box ( best hearing protection) top of the page right hand corner an you will find 10 plus pages of opinions.
Your audiologist suggests or your optometrist are ?
After all they are the real professionals.
Everyone's needs are different especially mine and yours .
Thanks for the guidance
 
Just my personal opinions:
- consider what you shot first, handguns, rifles, shotguns or all of the above
- hearing protection lasts very long time given it's a quality built one, one of my active sets lasted over 15 years of light abuse. With long guns shooting you will want higher noise reduction and low profile muffs with cups resting around ears and potentially allowing adding plugs. My choice is active ones, have two now, Peltor/3M Tactical Sport (older set) and Sordin, both with gel pads.
- eye protection is a bit tricky if you need Rx glasses. You can have single Rx lense that's impact rated, impact rated glasses that accept Rx inserts, impact rated protective glasses and contact lenses.
As someone who needs Rx I tried all three options. I found contact lenses and good optical quality glasses to be best but cannot wear contacts full day so it didn't work out. Inserts are iffy, optical distortion and limited field of view play big role, if shooting outdoors you get dust on both lenses and that makes it a chore to clean them.
Good compromise is Rx impact rated glasses, that's what I use.
If you have high Rx then contact lenses with provide with best vision especially if you have astigmatism.
 
Just my personal opinions:
- consider what you shot first, handguns, rifles, shotguns or all of the above
- hearing protection lasts very long time given it's a quality built one, one of my active sets lasted over 15 years of light abuse. With long guns shooting you will want higher noise reduction and low profile muffs with cups resting around ears and potentially allowing adding plugs. My choice is active ones, have two now, Peltor/3M Tactical Sport (older set) and Sordin, both with gel pads.
- eye protection is a bit tricky if you need Rx glasses. You can have single Rx lense that's impact rated, impact rated glasses that accept Rx inserts, impact rated protective glasses and contact lenses.
As someone who needs Rx I tried all three options. I found contact lenses and good optical quality glasses to be best but cannot wear contacts full day so it didn't work out. Inserts are iffy, optical distortion and limited field of view play big role, if shooting outdoors you get dust on both lenses and that makes it a chore to clean them.
Good compromise is Rx impact rated glasses, that's what I use.
If you have high Rx then contact lenses with provide with best vision especially if you have astigmatism.
Thank you for your insight!
 
IDK about contact lenses. When it’s hot, dusty, sweaty or freezing cold, wearing them for a long time may be not good for you.

Rx safety rated glasses all the way for me.

Hunters HD Gold are excellent. They are not cheap, but pretty close price-wise to brand name Rx lenses like Essilor or Hoya. Your vision insurance might even cover them.
 
Depending on what I’m doing I use Flugz which are moldable ear plugs and cost about $30. Fit your ear exactly and have high NRR. I also use a pair of Sordin electronic muffs with the gelcups. Super comfortable and very well made but not cheap! Shooting glasses I use Randolph XLW with different lenses depending on the conditions. You only get one set of eyes and ears!!
 
Last edited:
As far as I am concerned contact lenses are not eye protection when it comes to shooting...
Nobody said they replaced safety glasses. I used contact lenses. Safety glasses were cheaper to replace, than RX glasses. Then also I didn't want to wear glasses over glasses.

RX now are all plastic lenses and they scratch super easy even with anti scratch protection.
 
Back
Top Bottom