Which would you pick for a higher-end bolt rifle?

Nor are they high end
Bolt together rifles aren’t high end? I have a couple I consider pretty nice hunting rifles. One for example is a 6.5-284 built on a nitrided defiance anti, benchmark barrel, triggertech special and pillar bedded into a carbon fibre manners stock with a snowy mountain box. It’s not built for African safari, but it is probably pretty close to the highest end a guy could go for a lightweight extreme conditions rifle. You might be able to spend more, but it probably won’t be better.
 
So apparently I am mistaken as to what constitutes "high-end".
Whatever. To me a $2500 bare rifle would be as nice as anything I've ever had. I have the next year to ponder this so it's mostly academic at this point. I do like the idea of CRF so might end up leaning toward a new Model 70.
 
Not at all. Sako, Howa, and Bergara are all good examples of modern push-feeds that are reliable. Depends on what you value. People often say a REM 700 extractor is weak, but I’ve not had one fail or seen one fail in any training I’ve been on…. Nor have I observed a bolt handle fall off on either lol.
I have have NEVER had either of those problems in 100 plus Remmys !
 
I have owned LOTS and still do push feeder rifles and they NEVER cause any problems for me !
it is important to make sure of bullet design and coal to make sure all feeds well thou !
I've had 2 M70 s with push feed one in 7 Rem Mag and the other 338 Win mag both worked flawlessly !
My CRF M70 s were NO better at all !
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
I have owned LOTS and still do push feeder rifles and they NEVER cause any problems for me !
it is important to make sure of bullet design and coal to make sure all feeds well thou !
I've had 2 M70 s with push feed one in 7 Rem Mag and the other 338 Win mag both worked flawlessly !
My CRF M70 s were NO better at all !

In other words you don't short stroke bolts lol. You're one of those guys I know actually uses their stuff too, and not just on nice days at the range

I've been beyond impressed by the Beretta BRX1.

Beretta sure tested those things before releasing them too. Wish they were available in stainless
 
I dont knwo if it counts as high end, but I haev a ruger guide gun in 30-06 nad it is just about everything I want in a rifle
Interesting looking rifles that i am sure are as rugged as it gets. I'd say what with the short barrel and 8 pound weight .30-06 is about max you'd want for calibre in one, probably perfect indeed. (They offer it in both .375 and .416 Ruger which i can only imagine being an absolute nightmare to shoot based on both physics and the real-world reviews i've read of Ruger's heavier calibre offerings.)

High quality no doubt, but not high end. The only high end laminates i'm personally aware of are from these folks:

1790691895238.png
 
Interesting looking rifles that i am sure are as rugged as it gets. I'd say what with the short barrel and 8 pound weight .30-06 is about max you'd want for calibre in one, probably perfect indeed. (They offer it in both .375 and .416 Ruger which i can only imagine being an absolute nightmare to shoot based on both physics and the real-world reviews i've read of Ruger's heavier calibre offerings.)

High quality no doubt, but not high end. The only high end laminates i'm personally aware of are from these folks:

View attachment 1214742
30-06 is great for any range I will personally shoot, plus it is liekly half the price or less fo any otehr calibre
they make an alsaskn model which si essentially the same but in a hogue type stock, but the smallest it came in was 300 win mag
 
You can find a shooter grade pre-64 Model 70 for around the $1000 mark. Pretty tough to beat that for the starting point of a semi-custom.

I did that earlier this year. I bought a 1949 in .270 Win for $900. A fair amount of bluing wear, and the steel butt plate removed with a recoil pad installed. Original sights and everything intact. I can't bear to pull it apart though because it shoots so well.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260411_200755613.MP.jpg
    PXL_20260411_200755613.MP.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom