Anschutz at 100yds?

I guess it's blasphemy in your opinion to practice on different size targets then?

That seems like a good static approach to solve a task !;

Works every time, eh ?
When shooters practice they use targets similar to the targets they will shoot in competition. There's nothing to be gained otherwise.
 
Center is centre no matter the shape of target and distance.

But hey, I cannot shoot at that because it's iced out 10mm around the rim.

You're really funny, good logic!

Claiming that before a competition biathlon shooters practiced on 25mm targets (about 1") at 100 meters is what's funny.

With scope shooting shape and size of target is often not very important. But that's not true for aperture sight shooting.

With aperture sights shooters can't satisfactorily see targets that are as small as 25mm at 50 meters. At 100 they would be far too small to see adequately with the naked eye.

Aperture sights require larger targets so that they can be effective. At 50 meters the target is, in fact, 45mm, nearly twice the size of the alleged 25mm 100 meter target.

The idea is that the black target is just a little smaller than the view through the front insert. A very small target such as 25mm at 100 meters would barely be visible to the naked eye. Too small a target would not be possible to see well enough to make shooting worthwhile.

 
Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a Anschutz Match 54 if I can find one but knowing they were designed for 50yd how do they shoot with that long barrel at 100? I have a CZ 452 Varmint and a 457 in a MDT chassis both wih 20" barrels that shoot very well at 100 but I've always wanted an Annie. Just wondering if I should just spend the money on ammo. TC
I won a prone State Championship with a 30 years-old AnschĂĽtz. I can confirm that they can be perfectly competitive at 100 yards. You just have to find a good lot of ammo for your barrel.

100Y.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 100Y.jpg
    100Y.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
You won't find a more accurate .22LR rifle than the 54. At 100 or even 200 yards. With proper target sights, of course. It's the closest you can come to a Palma rifle if you don't have access to a 1,000 m range.
 
Claiming that before a competition biathlon shooters practiced on 25mm targets (about 1") at 100 meters is what's funny.

With scope shooting shape and size of target is often not very important. But that's not true for aperture sight shooting.

With aperture sights shooters can't satisfactorily see targets that are as small as 25mm at 50 meters. At 100 they would be far too small to see adequately with the naked eye.

Aperture sights require larger targets so that they can be effective. At 50 meters the target is, in fact, 45mm, nearly twice the size of the alleged 25mm 100 meter target.

The idea is that the black target is just a little smaller than the view through the front insert. A very small target such as 25mm at 100 meters would barely be visible to the naked eye. Too small a target would not be possible to see well enough to make shooting worthwhile.

Thanks for the internet explanation, who would have known?

As to your theory there's only one available size for targets/apertures and only one distance all amateur "biathlon" shooters use.

Why don't you try this before attempting to groom everybody else to your point of view...

Pain't or print a black 25mm round target dot on white background. Place target 100 metres away and look at it. Can you see the dot with your bare eyes ?

I'm born in the 60s and still can. If I can see it without magnification and my rifle has the capability & accuracy to reach it - I can hit it !

End of story !
 
Last edited:
Don't dig yourself into a deeper hole.

Think about it. Keeping in mind that aperture sights don't magnify anything, the prone biathlon target is 45mm (1.8") and the standing is 115mm (4.5"). This is for 50 meters.

A bull that's 25mm (about 1") at 50 is already too small to use effectively with apertures. At twice the distance such a target is more than too small to use with apertures. A bullseye that size would be so small as to be nowhere nearly enough to fill the inner ring of the front sight making accurate shooting impractical.

No one would want to use apertures set for shooting 45mm targets at 50 meters on targets at twice the distance that are nearly half the size (25mm).
 
So, you're saying that you cannot see a 25 mm black target dot on white at 100 metres without magnification?

Well, I guess others have better eye sight and shooting skills than you do citing the Internet !
 
Last edited:
If you want to do some searching, the best deal on an "Annie 54" is the Scorpio EM322A... Older manf with the 20", 6 groove barrels

These ARE Annie 54 clones with some Chinese simplifications. Got them as a joke, was blown away by how well that batch shot. We eventually got 8 rifles all of which shot great. I competed with mine out to 400yds and it took me to the podium vs some very gucchi gear.

I would lean on the threaded version so that I can add a tuner. SK rifle match as a base... better Lapua Center X or Midas+. Lots matter and it is so rare to get a lot without some percentage of flyers. More money, good lot = less flyers.

1" or better at 100yds 5X5rds... and accept the small percentage that are flyers. Competition lots would be no more then 3rds in that 25rds test outside 1" but still inside 1.5".. Practise lot may still have 3 to 4 flyers but those zingers push 2" or more.



View attachment 1215524

Did not find the micro groove barrels to shoot all that well. The EM332X with the shorty barrels were meh.

If you don't need a sub 2lbs trigger, the Scorpio can be a great find. If you want light pulls, get a true annie as the scorpio uses a stand alone trigger group.

The actions polish up extremely smooth. Metal mags actually run well too. Some modifications needed for a scope base or you can just grooved receiver rings

Jerry
Not to hijack the thread, though thanks for the heads up on these rifles Jerry. The can and do shoot if you're willing to tinker with them. I've got one of the older 20" ones with the threaded barrel and the early trigger group.
Screenshot_20251017_121745_Range Buddy (1).jpg20251017_103102 (2).jpg I'd like to add that the triggers can be greatly improved upon. I ended up coming across a spare trigger group and decided I was going to modify it to see how good I could make it. I've since polished the internals, shimmed it, straightened the trigger blade some, installed an a travel set screw screw and made a new torsion spring for it. It now has a really nice break at around 7oz.

Here's the factory spring with the one I made above it.

20261001_205952.jpg
 
Last edited:
The older Canadaammo 522s had a good adjustable/accessible trigger setup.

I looked at briefly, but think on the 322 trigger assembly one would have to drive some pins out in order to get to the spring ?
 
The older Canadaammo 522s had a good adjustable/accessible trigger setup.

I looked at briefly, but think on the 322 trigger assembly one would have to drive some pins out in order to get to the spring ?
On the older ones, there's a plate on the left side that is removable via one screw . You can see the tapped hole in the center here. images (1).jpeg
 
So, you're saying that you cannot see a 25 mm black target dot on white at 100 metres without magnification?

Well, I guess others have better eye sight and shooting skills than you do citing the Internet !
Just because 1 can see, doesn't mean they can hit it. Ive been near sighted for 30 plus years. But based on the target borders I can figure the center. But have had shot a 100 score at 100 with apetures. Based on a 8 inch target.


20240527_125032.jpg
 
So, you're saying that you cannot see a 25 mm black target dot on white at 100 metres without magnification?
Perhaps you don' understand how aperture sights work.

It doesn't matter a hoot if you can see a small target with the naked eye. The point is that you can't use aperture sights to shoot targets that are very small -- too small -- no matter the distance.

The 25mm target claimed at 100 meters is smaller than the standard biathlon 45mm and 115mm targets used at 50 meters. If the standard targets used in biathlon were doubled in size, they would be suitable for use at 100 meters.

Aperture sights don't have crosshairs. They rely on the target being centered in the front ring. (See the image in post #25 above.) Shooters require an aperture size that leaves a comfortable band of white around the bullseye. A dark circle that is sufficiently large to be centered with that comfortable band of white around the bull is used. When such a target is carefully centered, the result is hits in its middle.

A 25mm target at 100 meters is simply too small to shoot effectively with aperture sights. At 25 meters, a 25mm black circle looks like the size of a quarter. At 50 meters the same target appears half as large. At 100 meters it looks four times as small as it did at 25 meters. In other words, it's looks very small to the naked eye, little more than a dark speck.

A target that's very small can't be effectively centered with aperture sights. There are no front aperture sizes available that would theoretically allow for effective shooting at 25mm targets at 100 meters.

In other words, shooting 25mm targets at 100 meters with aperture sights not something that's done.

Anyone who agrees with you that it's quite possible to shoot as you claim will no doubt be quick to post their support. Please wait for it to happen before responding.
 
Back
Top Bottom