I will start bringing surplus ammo across border!!!

:Dhello i was reading today that you are allowed to bring up to 5000 rounds of ammo from USA to Canada. I want to start bringing ammo across the border...seeing as there isn't any here in Canada:cool:(just bought the last case of 7.65x54r from S.F.R.C.) I need someone to help me with information about crossing from the USA into canada with ammo. I know you need so kind of papers(Form 6 N1A.....?)So could someone show me step by step (with website, phone # i have to call?) what i have to do to make this legal:dancingbanana: Thanks...what i really want to do is start taking orders from this website!!!! please help me if you have done this before.P.S. iam going to the U.S.A. this weekend so if can get info before then!!!:p




On top of all that has been said, the poster also sounds like he is planning a Group Buy when he is asking who is interested.

Youthful enthusiasm meets reality. Reality wins.
 
Last edited:
Just make yourself a giant pinata and fill it with all the ammo you can , no one would ever think to look inside of it.
 
ok guys, I'm not trying to highjack this nice mans thread but I have a question which hasn't been answered (or I just can't seem to find the answer) I've combed through this site, the ATF site, US State Dept., and US Dept. of Commerce...still nothing

Can I purchase, say 4,999 rounds in the States for my own personal use (not a business and I'm not trying to sell them) and bring them into Canada?
-As far as the Canadian portion goes (IMPORT) it looks like no permit is required for non-commercial importation of less than 5,000 rounds. Of course the ammo has to be a brand and make which is able to be imported into Canada but there are lists available of approved ammunition so that wouldn't be hard. And, duty and taxes would still have to be paid BUT it *might* still be worth it.

The change law on a monthly basis it seems right now in the states... its illegal for on U.S. resident to be in possession of anything firearms related right now without the proper permits...

Odds are billy bobs ammo store isn't on the list of approved exporters with department of defence ... if the store happens to be on the list of approved exporters... and his permits are paid up... then the ammo has to be on the list of approved ammo that can be exported... then you can apply for a Canadian import permit which has to be mailed to the export company and they can apply for the export permit... once this is all approved its my understanding that you can be either in possession of the controlled items or have them shipped... dont quote me correct me if I am wrong this is my own personal understanding... I leave all my exporting to wholesalers that are already setup...

it is also my understanding after talking with many American, European, pan pacific companies that they are not taking on any new contracts for components or ammo production till 2011...
 
:Dhello i was reading today that you are allowed to bring up to 5000 rounds of ammo from USA to Canada. I want to start bringing ammo across the border...seeing as there isn't any here in Canada:cool:(just bought the last case of 7.65x54r from S.F.R.C.) I need someone to help me with information about crossing from the USA into canada with ammo. I know you need so kind of papers(Form 6 N1A.....?)So could someone show me step by step (with website, phone # i have to call?) what i have to do to make this legal:dancingbanana: Thanks...what i really want to do is start taking orders from this website!!!! please help me if you have done this before.P.S. iam going to the U.S.A. this weekend so if can get info before then!!!:p
Keep your toothbrush in your pocket in case the warden runs out!
 
Don't even bother - leave it to the professionals. Non-resident aliens are prohibited from purchasing ammunition in the U.S.. Its a federal law. I imagine an FFL dealer would have to export it into Canada. The U.S. State Department would have to issue an export permit as well - again, I believe you have to be an FFL dealer in the U.S. to have any hope of getting one approved. I believe there used to be a member on this board who was doing what you propose........I believe he was arrested and put in jail. I don't know the details.

The form 6NIA is an application by a non-imigrant alien for the temporary import of firearms and ammunition to the U.S. for a few specified/permitted purposes. Possession of firearms and/or ammunition by non-imigrant aliens is legal under federal law if they possess a valid state hunting licence. You can bring either with you if you have an approved for 6NIA - and you must take either back with you, but you cannot purchase either legally in the U.S..
 
Last edited:
I buy a lot of stuff at Cabela's in Dundee Michigan, and yes you are not supposed to possess loaded ammunition in the US if you are not a US citizen, but it is easy to make the purchase and transport it into Canada. You do not go through US customs returning to Canada at Sarnia or Windsor, and once your over the bridge, all that Canada customs cares about is the truth and possibly charging you the duty if you decide to properly declare the goods. That being said, I have been crossing these two ports 3 times a week for almost 10 years in a commercial vehicle and have not been charged the duty most stuff that I have declared, occasionally I have had to pay though. They seem to be more interested in catching you lie than collecting the revenue. However, I have never attempted such a large quanity, so you should check with Canada customs and be sure to write down the officers name and badge # that you speak to in case you run into a problem returning to Canada. This will indicate you have done your due dilligence and give you some wiggle room in case the officer at the booth has a different interpretation of the rules than the one you speak with on the phone b4 the trip.
 
I love it when guys admit to knowingly illegally exporting from the US on a board that's monitored by Canadian and American agencies.
 
ZELLY101;
Listen to CONTACT 148, he is 100000% right....

You cannot apply for export permits from the US State Dept ONLY American citizens can do so, you are considered a foreign alien and CANNOT.

ALL munitions and weapons export come under Homelad Security as well as the State Dept.

The vendor must be a registered Exporter, and get a export permit if I remember right its a DSP-084 ?

You will find that BATF/Homeland Security are doing a lot of spot checks in the US some as close as a few kilometers to seveal hundred from the border.
For what its worth
John
 
I buy a lot of stuff at Cabela's in Dundee Michigan, and yes you are not supposed to possess loaded ammunition in the US if you are not a US citizen, but it is easy to make the purchase and transport it into Canada. You do not go through US customs returning to Canada at Sarnia or Windsor, and once your over the bridge, all that Canada customs cares about is the truth and possibly charging you the duty if you decide to properly declare the goods. That being said, I have been crossing these two ports 3 times a week for almost 10 years in a commercial vehicle and have not been charged the duty most stuff that I have declared, occasionally I have had to pay though. They seem to be more interested in catching you lie than collecting the revenue. However, I have never attempted such a large quanity, so you should check with Canada customs and be sure to write down the officers name and badge # that you speak to in case you run into a problem returning to Canada. This will indicate you have done your due dilligence and give you some wiggle room in case the officer at the booth has a different interpretation of the rules than the one you speak with on the phone b4 the trip.

I suggest you read the sticky on ammo export from the states, you are going to go down hard when a US cop or ICE decideds to have a checkstop for vehicles leaving the states.

Lots of gunstores along the US border are patrolled by agents that write down license plate numbers. Best believe if you are ever seen at a gunstore and then hit a port of entry later that you will be searched, arrested, your car and belongings are now US government property. You will sit in a US jail until you can mount your defence. BTW-being totally ignorant of US laws doesn't carry any weight. You are in their country, its their rules.

To all on this forum that continue to talk about there cross border shopping for ammo, please stop posting it. It is completly illegal without permits, no matter what you think.

The next forum we should put on CGN is lineup pictures with all the Canadians that don't know any better and get caught. A nice thread just showing mug shots would be kindof neat here so we can see how many newbies really do break the law.


READ THE STICKY ON THE TOP OF THIS PAGE ALL YOU WANNABE AMMO IMPORTERS!
 
I only buy components now, which are completely legal to possess on the US side if you are under the req'd amounts- If I remember right it is less than 5 lbs of powder and I can't remember the primer limit. I only ever buy them 1000 at a time. It is possible that is old info, case it was last fall the last time I asked inside at Port Huron. Two things though-DON'T ASSUME THAT BECAUSE I AM A NEWBIE TO THIS WEBSITE THAT I JUST PICKED UP MY FIRST GUN YESTERDAY OR THAT WHAT YOU READ ON A NATIONAL CUSTOMS WEBSITE IS THE DIRECT PROCEDURE AT THE BORDER. IT'S NOT.
 
I only buy components now, which are completely legal to possess on the US side if you are under the req'd amounts-

You still require an export permit to legally take reloading components from the U.S.A. to Canada.

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

From that link:
(1) The components, parts, accessories and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags (or other propellant charges), bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles (including canister rounds and submunitions therefor), boosters, firing components therefor, primers, and other detonating devices for the defense articles controlled in this category.
(2) This category does not control cartridge and shell casings that, prior to export, have been rendered useless beyond the possibility of restoration for use as a cartridge or shell casing by means of heating, flame treatment, mangling, crushing, cutting or popping.
 
Last edited:
lol.....i dont know anything about US laws so i just abstain from buying components or cartridges when i go there.....
 
Well thanks for all the replies!!! Iam new to the internet/computer and the whole gun/laws so I don't really know what is going on.There is alot of people on this website that can help you out with questions, most people couldn't...but for all the negative or Obscene comments some members give you, really makes you think all the steryotypical comments by non-gun owners are alittle more true!!! This is just coming from a new guy...lighten up a little and set an example for the new generation of shooters.ThanksBz.
 
hmm...well guys, all I can say is that before you do anything, if you have questions you should call the appropriate people in charge and confirm what you think is legal. This site isn't for exchanging ideas on how to break the law or how to circumvent laws governing the import/export of arms and ammunition, so be sure of your actions before you act. Saying "I heard on the internet that you could do such and such" won't save your tushy from Bubba.

Personally, I think I'm in pretty good shape to bring ammo back into Canada for personal use but before I consider bringing anything across the border I'm going to double check.
I see it like this:
- I'm a Dual citizen so I don't need temporary import documents to bring my own firearm or ammunition into the US. (According to ATF) and my ATT will have me covered with regard to transporting it to the border crossing.
- I buy a hunting license in a US State, which allows me to buy ammunition there. Perfectly legal (ATF)
- Buy lots of ammo and hunt in that State.
- When I'm done hunting, I bring leftover ammo home with me. I'm under 5,000 rounds so no import documents required to bring it into Canada. But I'll declare it at the border so I can pay tax and duties.

Voila, Perfectly legal! I'm just going to confirm with ATF and Canada Customs that that is indeed the way the law works with respect to their jurisdictions and I think I'll have it figured out. I know, it doesn't really help anyone else but who knows?
 
Personally, I think I'm in pretty good shape to bring ammo back into Canada for personal use but before I consider bringing anything across the border I'm going to double check.
I see it like this:
- I'm a Dual citizen so I don't need temporary import documents to bring my own firearm or ammunition into the US. (According to ATF) and my ATT will have me covered with regard to transporting it to the border crossing.
- I buy a hunting license in a US State, which allows me to buy ammunition there. Perfectly legal (ATF)
- Buy lots of ammo and hunt in that State.
- When I'm done hunting, I bring leftover ammo home with me. I'm under 5,000 rounds so no import documents required to bring it into Canada. But I'll declare it at the border so I can pay tax and duties.

Voila, Perfectly legal! I'm just going to confirm with ATF and Canada Customs that that is indeed the way the law works with respect to their jurisdictions and I think I'll have it figured out. I know, it doesn't really help anyone else but who knows?

It really doesn't matter if you are a dual citizen or not.As soon as you attempt to bring ammunition or components purchased in the U.S.A. across the border into Canada without an export permit,you are in violation of U.S. law.
 
Don't even bother - leave it to the professionals. Non-resident aliens are prohibited from purchasing ammunition in the U.S.. Its a federal law. I imagine an FFL dealer would have to export it into Canada. The U.S. State Department would have to issue an export permit as well - again, I believe you have to be an FFL dealer in the U.S. to have any hope of getting one approved. I believe there used to be a member on this board who was doing what you propose........I believe he was arrested and put in jail. I don't know the details.

The form 6NIA is an application by a non-imigrant alien for the temporary import of firearms and ammunition to the U.S. for a few specified/permitted purposes. Possession of firearms and/or ammunition by non-imigrant aliens is legal under federal law if they possess a valid state hunting licence. You can bring either with you if you have an approved for 6NIA - and you must take either back with you, but you cannot purchase either legally in the U.S..

You're mostly right.

Where you're wrong is that, with the Form 6NIA and the valid (American state) hunting license, you can buy ammunition there.

You can buy it; you just can't bring it home.
 
It really doesn't matter if you are a dual citizen or not.As soon as you attempt to bring ammunition or components purchased in the U.S.A. across the border into Canada without an export permit,you are in violation of U.S. law.

k, so whats the difference between what I said and an American bringing his gun and ammo into Canada to hunt / target shoot? Nothing, the law allows that.
The Americans would say nothing if they pulled me over prior to crossing because it's perfectly legal. I AM an American who is going to shoot in Canada.
The Canadians would say nothing after paying duty because I'm a Canadian who is bringing in less than 5,000 rounds for personal use.

I guess it's a matter of perspective...
 
Well thanks for all the replies!!! .....but for all the negative or Obscene comments some members give you, really makes you think all the steryotypical comments by non-gun owners are alittle more true!!!
.

I agree. He asked for help and who to call or where to look. All he got was a bunch of smart ass answers.

Point him in the right direction, give him a place to start and wish him luck.

He would figure it out eventually :)
 
Back
Top Bottom