IVI 5.56mm

I use it almost exclusively in a 14.5" Sabre XR-15, my groups are averaging about 1.5" to 2.0" with IVI 5.56mm. Not the most accurate stuff out there, but it does go bang with every pull of the trigger.

For close range stuff, 25-50yards-keeping the IVI rounds in about a one inch group.

I like IVI ammo, its good stuff.
 
I'll try to find the link, but I read an article comparing IVI to other Mil Spec NATO rounds and it consistently shot tighter groups and was well under maximum allowable pressures. It shoots great for me.

TDC
 
If I recall correctly, there was a bunch of IVI 96 or 97 that wouldn't even group at 10" at 100m, and we even had misses on the 4ft screen at 200m.

As for your lot, who knows,, it may group fine,, or you might have the crappy stuff. It all goes bang though.
 
I'll try to find the link, but I read an article comparing IVI to other Mil Spec NATO rounds and it consistently shot tighter groups and was well under maximum allowable pressures. It shoots great for me.

TDC

Please do! It should be a very interesting article.
 
If I recall correctly, there was a bunch of IVI 96 or 97 that wouldn't even group at 10" at 100m, and we even had misses on the 4ft screen at 200m.

As for your lot, who knows,, it may group fine,, or you might have the crappy stuff. It all goes bang though.
I have no idea what the lot # is. It came loose in an unmarked ammo can. Some of the casings have black sharpie scribbled back and forth along one side though, something ominous I'm sure...

If this is a bad lot, can I pull the bullets and or re-use the powder, and what about the primers?

Thanks again guys,
 
Cancer: Sure you can pull the bullets and do the 'mexican match' trick (seating a match bullet on top), but frankly, it's all good especially for the huffing and puffing, then shooting style of matches we do at Service Conditions. ;)
 
Are you sure these aren't someones old reloads?
I have no idea, but those markings sure make me wonder. Obviously someone marked those 15 rds or so out of a couple hundred as different.

All I know is what the guy who traded with me told me, that they're new and came from a gunshow. Hopefully they're fine, but it sounds like 96 is a wonky year for IVI, so I'm probably gonna use it up for practice ammo. Was a good deal of a trade, so I don't mind blasting it for practice.
 
So, you got from a guy, who got them from a guy. My spidy senses would be tingling, especially about the 15 "special" ones. Pull one "special" and one regular, see if everything looks right, same amount of the same type of powder. If it checks out, don't worry about it.
 
Look at the primer pocket and the crimp on the neck.

It is impossible to reload IVI brass without going Berseke on the primer pocket crimp.

Don't buy loose rounds...
 
If I recall correctly, there was a bunch of IVI 96 or 97 that wouldn't even group at 10" at 100m, and we even had misses on the 4ft screen at 200m.

As for your lot, who knows,, it may group fine,, or you might have the crappy stuff. It all goes bang though.

I had heard rumours (back in the late 1980's-early 1990's) that IVI was having trouble making the bullet, that some rounds were disintegrating in mid flight. I have never seen this phenomenom or met anyone who did either.
 
I acquired a decent amount of '96 manufacture 5.56mm IVI through a trade. Anyone care to comment on how it groups in an AR15?

Quote from "The Competitive AR-15"---Glenn Zediker, page 228: "Canadian ball ammo (C-77) shoots really well, or so says Bill Wylde.....He says it's some of the very best ammunition he's ever shot, and that of course, includes painstakingly well tuned handloads. He's also referring to 500 yd groups from AR-15's"

I've had good experience with this stuff, if it's genuine, I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it:)
 
I have no idea, but those markings sure make me wonder. Obviously someone marked those 15 rds or so out of a couple hundred as different.

if there is just a line down the side it could have been just the top round in a fully loaded mag marked to make sure that they are all still there ...........I know this was pretty popular in bosnia on my tour with people who didn't know how to take care of their kit
 
if there is just a line down the side it could have been just the top round in a fully loaded mag marked to make sure that they are all still there ...........I know this was pretty popular in bosnia on my tour with people who didn't know how to take care of their kit
I talked to the guy I got it from and he said that this is what he did. So, that mystery is solved :)
 
Back
Top Bottom