I put 300 rounds through my 1885 Martini carbine today

englishman_ca

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
156   0   2
I put three hundred rounds through my Martini Henry Mk.I cavalry carbine today and still have a shoulder.

deck.jpg


This is an ongoing project. I got this one as a sporter and in need of some TLC. I had some issues with the extractor but I got it shooting today and sighted in.

This mark of carbine would have been made circa 1879-1889. It subsequently went through a commercial conversion and the reciever has been scrubbed of martial markings as have the proofs on the barrel reinforce. However, each internal piece is still Enfield inspector marked and W/i\D acceptanced stamped. 1885 dated barrel is numbered to the receiver so I will make the assumption it is original to the rifle.

f.jpg

It has been converted to .22 rimfire with the use of a barrel liner.

4-4.jpg

The breechblock striker pin hole has been plugged and drilled at an offset for the rimfire cartridge.

extractor.jpg

The extractor has been fitted with a bridge to pick up on the smaller rim.

site.jpg

The sights have been recalibrated.

The gun has been reproofed. Pre 1912 commercial Brit proof marks and cartridge designation (22L).
pic022.jpg

Does anybody recognise this nitro proof mark? I am trying to figure out when it was reproofed.


This gun is alot fun to shoot and is a beer can killer!

Reamers are readily available so I am still toying with the idea of rechambering to .22 Hornet, but for now ammo for an afternoon of shooting for ten bucks!
pic-1.jpg
 
Looks like a fun gun and a good salvage job. I'd ream it for .22 Hornet. Would still be fairly cheap and fun to shoot, plus you could taylor a load for it.

I fail to see the advantage of "antique" long guns? Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing, as far as transport or shooting opportunities, that cannot be had with a post 1897 (ie registered) non resticted long gun. The same regs apply whether antique or registered.
Once (gad forbid!!!) all the registered long guns, shotguns and handguns are banned and confiscated, do folks really believe that the authorities are going to allow you to wander around in the bush (or anywhere) with antique firearms of any discription? Not bloody likely IMHO
 
At least they will not know you have it.

Sure, but what is the point of having it if you can not use it? To be caught with it will destroy you and your family's lives, finacially and perhaps physically.
The gun grabbers are not going to stop until all firearms are confiscated and destroyed. You're living in a fools paridise to think otherwise. IMHO
 
I think toronto is getting to you.

An advantage of having an antique handgun is that you can take it and discharge it anywhere you can a non restricted rifle.

If you forget or choose not to renew your PAL you can continue to own and use antiques.
 
how so? Minimum caliber is 8.3mm for a rifle to be an antique.

8.3mm is the minimum for centerfire - for rimfire, all it has be be is something other that 22 Long, Long Rifle, Short, CB, etc. So 22 Magnum, 17 HMR, 17 Mach2, etc, would be good to go as antique.
 
I love antique long guns. I have several friends who have hunting licenses but let PAL's expire when registration came in or never got them at all. It's a great way to take them hunting with me.... And my 1857 Snider will shoot as well as most modern muzzleloaders inside of 100 yards.....
 
Back
Top Bottom