.22 Martini Henry project

john@

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
89   0   1
Location
Ottawa
Hey, I have an opportunity to get a military Martini Henry that was converted to .22 by W. W. Greener. (Not sure the original model yet, I believe its a short lever).

I've been thinking of converting it to another caliber so I can deregister it.

What are my options?

.22 mag?
.22 hornet?
.223 remington?
or other?
 
I'm too lazy at the moment to check because our quick fix, one-minute oil change society has got me for the moment. I was old that to be deregistered as antique, a single shot rifle must be bigger than .33 calibre. Unless that has changed.
 
Hey, I have an opportunity to get a military Martini Henry that was converted to .22 by W. W. Greener. (Not sure the original model yet, I believe its a short lever).

I've been thinking of converting it to another caliber so I can deregister it.

I think first you need to find if it is in fact a large frame military martini and further if it is centerfire or rimfire. It could conceivably be a centerfire intended for the 22 morris shell which can be made from shortened 22 hornet shells. It may also have a removeable liner inside the original barrel.
Relative to converting to antique status, it needs to be over .34 caliber, so in practical terms 38-55 would be the smallest you might consider and 45-70 is a more common choice. Unless you can do the work yourself however, you are looking at a moderately expensive operation

cheers mooncoon
 
Small or large frame Martini

My father converted a Greener large frame Martini to a 225 cal because it has a flanged case for extraction, unlike the 223. The small frame, (you mentioned short lever???) was reputed to be made of soft steel not suitable for conversions more powerful than 22 Hornet.
 
My father converted a Greener large frame Martini to a 225 cal because it has a flanged case for extraction, unlike the 223. The small frame, (you mentioned short lever???) was reputed to be made of soft steel not suitable for conversions more powerful than 22 Hornet.

The short and long levers were variations of the large frame Martini action. The Greener your Father had, was a commercial variant of the large frame action, most likely, unless it started out as one of their less common, small framed, rook rifles, in which case, I have no info to add.

I do know, however, that the Small Frame Martini Cadet actions made by BSA, are being chambered in .223, and other cartridges of this pressure range, and I've read of guys chambering them in 30-30 variants as well.

I wouldn't chamber a small frame in as high a pressure round as the .223, but guys more knowledgeable than I, are willing to do so, and have enough faith to do so in the litigious US commercial environment. It is being done.

The large frame Martini's were built through the 1880's and were arsenal converted to .303 British through the times when that round was coming into service. They are solidly built, grossly over engineered pieces of work. Not that they cannot be blown up, just that it takes some dedicated effort...:D

Can't speak to the multitude of small and large Martini actions made by the Belgians over the years either, but they were adequate for their intended purposes.

If the registry tanks, it'll not be an issue. The rifle is an artifact of a time when small bore competitions and recreational shooting, were a part of life for the Commonwealth. Keep it as is.

To get the rifle un-registered, if not a rimfire, gotta break the 8.3mm bore size. If it were a handgun, simply converting it to a .22 Hornet, or any of the other rounds that are not listed on the "except if" list, would suffice. For practical purposes, as a rifle, it means a re-barrel, figure the better part of a grand, all told, in materials and work, if you are not able to do it yourself. Then you get to pick yer poison, whether it's a small (38 Special or similar handgun cartridge) or large (.577-.450, a common original chambering).
If looking at the 22 magnum, consider that the bore size of the conversion is likely at .223 or .222 inches, and the standard bore for the .22 Mag is the same .224" as commonly used on standard 22 center-fires now. For the most part, it won't make huge differences in the pressures, but can cause grief with chamber reamer pilots, when chasing down tooling to use. The steel used for the barrel or liner (if it was lined) would be pretty soft stuff, relatively, too, and may or may not hold up long shooting .22 Mag.

New barrel. Best bet, I think. All sorts of options.

Won't matter, if the registry tanks. (Happy thought!)

Cheers
Trev
 
if it is lined simplest 'make a cool rifle' solution is to reline to 17 hmr. create antique status, make a useful varmint rifle, no need to mess with the RF/CF conversion.

if it is not lined keep it as is and wait and buy a CF action in 22 hornet.
 
Rimfire firing pin position

I have an old commercial conversion of an 1885 vintage cavalry carbine that I refurbished. I was considering reaming it out to .22 Hornet, but after putting several thousand rounds of .22 Long Rifle through it, I decided to leave it as is. Probably the rifle in my collection that is the most fun to shoot. I can shoot all day for $20 in ammo.

deck.jpg
pic-1.jpg

I believe that .22 Hornet uses pretty much same size bullet as the rimfire but with a fat ass centerfire cartridge

In the conversion to rimfire, your firing pin position will have been moved and would not hit the primer on a center fire cartridge. So you would need to move it back again for the Hornet. Not a big deal, just change out the breech block and striker for a standard one. Or stay with rimfire and go .22 Magnum.

4-4.jpg
pic035-1-1.jpg
.

Your .22rf barrel liner's rifling will likely have a slow twist. Not sure how .22 Mag or Hornet would perform in a rimfire barrel.

My advice would be to buy the gun and shoot it first, you might be suprised at how well it shoots. Mine is a tack driver.

f.jpg

Anything is possible with enough time and money thrown at it, in which case, I would consider to just buy an antique class .450 Martini and have a barrel and extractor made up for it. It would be an interesting project for sure, but to convert from .22rf in my mind it seems a long way around the houses to go. In the end you would have a converted converted rifle.
 
Thanks for the input, I was thinking to do this the cheapest way so use the existing barrel and rechamber. Since it has to stay as a rimfirle, I guess .22 WMR is the only option. Assuming I go through with this. Might just leave it as is.
 
Back
Top Bottom