You still have to clean and oil it after the windex.
NO kidding.......
Yup Spray with Windex and then clean and oil normally, no problem with my norc SKS for over 3 years and who knows how many thousands of rounds of corrosive down the pipe.
Think about it - Windex is mostly water. Moisture + salt causes rust
How much ammonia or whatever it is in the Windex is needed to absorb all of the salts on the rifle? You don't really know, because you don't know how much salt is on the rifle. I'm guessing no matter what the resulting liquid of Windex + primer salts is still going to be salty and wet.
ie - just to illustrate my point:
Lets say 1gram of salts is counteracted by 1 ml of ammonia
Say 100ml of Windex with 1% ammonia = 1ml of ammonia
So you spray 100ml on the rifle and its all good.
What if its 5 ml of ammonia to counteract 1 gram of salts? End result is 100ml of water with 4 grams of salt in it that starts rusting your rifle instantly Or you'll have to spray 500ml of Windex to counteract it all -
What if you shot 1500 rounds through your rifle that day and you have 10 grams of salt on you rifle? Are you going to pour 10 times as much Windex on to counteract the salts?
I know those numbers aren't real, but I could see when I used Windex where the Windex dried it left a white residue (most likely salt!) and began to rust within minutes. To me this says the Windex is NOT counteracting the salts. What's the point of using Windex if you just end up with a wet salty gun?
You're probably better off just using water (cheaper than Windex) - Or not using water based cleaners at all.
I'll be sticking to oil and solvent from now on.
Ziiiiiiiiiip - Puts on flame suit