Antique pistol options?

I don't think it is wise to shoot factory 45acp in those Webleys, is it?

There have been quite a few Colt SAA in 44spl recently, they can shoot factory, but they go for over $4000.
 
Spare parts is another thing to consider. One of the reasons I am a fan of the Colt SAA, they are still made today, and lots of first gen specific parts out there.
 
I don't think it is wise to shoot factory 45acp in those Webleys, is it?

There have been quite a few Colt SAA in 44spl recently, they can shoot factory, but they go for over $4000.

I wouldn't shoot factory .455 in a pre-Mk.IV revolver, let alone factory .45 ACP!
 
Been shooting my MKII for a couple years now, factory .45ACP ammo, with no hint of a problem. They are very common in the US, which is where I got mine.

This is precisely why I avoid buying cut antique Webleys. Seems most if not all have originated from the US and likely had the snot shot out of them. Sure you can shoot factory 45acp out of them but considering you are shooting at proof pressure levels all the time you will just never know when that last shot indeed will be your gun's last shot. A new cylinder is going to be hard to find and pricey. I can say this with some certainty as I recently bought an uncut 455 cylinder (very pricey :().
 
Yes, I've been checking the EE everyday.;)
I'm really liking the looks of the S&W model 1 1/2. Would you say that would be a good choice?

Thanks guys.

Ti

The newest one is about 125 years old. Many of the S&W tip-up pistols have issues with the hinge. I guess what I'm saying is I like to shoot guns as much as the next guy but these victorian beauties aren't what I'd consider to be daily shooters.
 
I only shoot lead bullets in light loads with my SAA .44 Special and Webley. Today's factory ammo is not recommended for century+ handguns and FMJ's will rapidly degrade an already used barrel.

Lead lead lead.
 
I don't reload so I was wondering if there are any antique pistols/revolvers in .357/9mm/44/45, etc. Basically anything I can go to the store and buy :p

It's pretty much a given if you plan to own a PSA you will have to load ammunition to suit your firearm. Commercial ammunition is designed for modern day firearms.

Lead and lighter loads is what you're going to have to use. In "some" calibers there is commercial loads that meet this bill (like cowboy loads in .44 special) but you're paying $35.00 for 50 rounds. Buy a tub of bullets ($85.00), a box of primers ($37.00) and buy your brass (Wolf Brass for example) and fire up the press and save 65% off the price of buying commercial. And, you don't have to worry about a detonation or loss of fingers/hands/face. There are no spare parts for appendages and not a lot of spare parts for your PSA's.
 
45ACP in Webley MKII, nitro proofed
Just about all webleys are NP'd it was done when they were surplused. All it means is that they did not let go with that proof load that day. It does not make them any stronger then the ones that are not NP'd (nitroproofed).

I had a mkI with a 2300 serial number that was 'nitro proofed' it sure was'nt any more capable of being fired with high pressure loads then is my last days of production MKII with no NP stamp.
 
The newest one is about 125 years old. Many of the S&W tip-up pistols have issues with the hinge. I guess what I'm saying is I like to shoot guns as much as the next guy but these victorian beauties aren't what I'd consider to be daily shooters.


Oh? Not somthing I should be playing with, eh?. What other makes and models chambered in .32 RF should I look for?

I know, I'm still stuck on that caiber. I think its mostly because I like small calibers. (I only shoot .22 LR, so far;)) Little recoil, lower noise and for reloadable rounds, less lead/powder used.
 
Oh? Not somthing I should be playing with, eh?. What other makes and models chambered in .32 RF should I look for?

I know, I'm still stuck on that caiber. I think its mostly because I like small calibers. (I only shoot .22 LR, so far;)) Little recoil, lower noise and for reloadable rounds, less lead/powder used.

The little double action bulldogs in .32rf are nice, mine works like a charm "Thanks Dingus!:)".
 
My favourite antique cartridges are the 44 Russian and 45 Schofield. Both of them are excellent, hard-hitting cartridges, usually 250 grains plus or minus 5 grains, and 750 to 850 fps.
 
Back
Top Bottom