60 era martini ammo 14$$ a box ..in the usa

Musketfire

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Algoma region
http://www.centuryarms.com/?page_id=621

Scroll down their specials and there they are , boxes of berdan primed commercially made martini rounds for......yes....14$$ a box of 10

:bangHead:

God in heaven, after reading this Im going down to the workshop to finish cleaning then aneeling last sessions 40 spent reloads.

We spend around 60- 80$$+++ just for 20 unprimed empty cases...

Bloody 14$$ for 10 complete martini rounds!! Heck even if you pulled the cordite and reloaded with ffg you would be saving...I would spend 1000$$ and buy the lot.
:redface:

Oh well, back to the nanny state, just thought I would share the frustration.

Rob
 
http://www.centuryarms.com/?page_id=621

Scroll down their specials and there they are , boxes of berdan primed commercially made martini rounds for......yes....14$$ a box of 10

:bangHead:

God in heaven, after reading this Im going down to the workshop to finish cleaning then aneeling last sessions 40 spent reloads.

We spend around 60- 80$$+++ just for 20 unprimed empty cases...

Bloody 14$$ for 10 complete martini rounds!! Heck even if you pulled the cordite and reloaded with ffg you would be saving...I would spend 1000$$ and buy the lot.
:redface:

Oh well, back to the nanny state, just thought I would share the frustration.

Rob

Where do you get $14/box. i went there and it seems to be $19.89 usd a box.

Regardless, an awesome price either way!!
 
"...We spend around 60- 80$$+++ just for 20 unprimed empty cases..." That's cheap. Bertram brass runs $159.95 per 20.
Have a how-to to turn reloadable brass out of 3/4" bar stock if you want it.
 
Brother, give me a pile of cheap martini henry ammo.

I will happily shoot all day, and then cut all the split heads to snider

Aneal and go!

We need a Canadian ammo cache to come on the market.

20$$ for even a moldy box of 10,

find like that would make my day.
 
I remember seeing this stuff when it still was current-availability. It was really nice, Kynoch- made and good, solid brass.

Sure, it was Berdan-primed, but ALL the British ammo was, back then. If you really need Boxer primers, why not use the ORIGINAL Boxer primer: a shotgun primer? Cap pockets on these can be drilled out and 209 primers with collars fitted. Did it many years ago.

BTW, these will HAVE the correct internal charge-limiting pressed-paper liners already in them. Brass today has not, which is why you have loading issues with it.

This stuff was pure quality when it was made. It sold at our local hardware store for $5 a box. Just in case that sounds cheap, please remember that the minimum wage was 70 cents an hour.
 
http://www.centuryarms.com/?page_id=621

Scroll down their specials and there they are , boxes of berdan primed commercially made martini rounds for......yes....14$$ a box of 10

:bangHead:

God in heaven, after reading this Im going down to the workshop to finish cleaning then aneeling last sessions 40 spent reloads.

We spend around 60- 80$$+++ just for 20 unprimed empty cases...

Bloody 14$$ for 10 complete martini rounds!! Heck even if you pulled the cordite and reloaded with ffg you would be saving...I would spend 1000$$ and buy the lot.
:redface:

Oh well, back to the nanny state, just thought I would share the frustration.

Rob
you must of been in shock when you seen that ad , but unfortunely the current price is $39.95 us for 10 rounds Bob
 
BTW, these will HAVE the correct internal charge-limiting pressed-paper liners already in them. Brass today has not, which is why you have loading issues with it.

That's because of the smokeless powder loads in them. I have 2 of these rounds (came with a Martini Mk4 I bought from a fellow CGNer) and they do look pretty solid. The box doesn't mention primer type, but does stipulate that the cases contain smokeless in them. So much for the famous "you should only use BP in BP guns" statement.

Recently I came across a quote (from an ancient forum, dating to the late nineties) about an old article which refers to smokeless loads for the Martini-Henry rifles, as well as some duplex loads. Among the various smokeless loads presented therein, the article clearly specifies to insert two (2) sheets of toilet paper inside the case after loading it with smokeless to reduce case capacity and add to better (more consistent) ignition. Apparently, after various testing, two sheets of TP is the magic solution for making smokeless Martini-Henry loads (as well as using the proper powder quantity & type, of course).

All in all, I'd probably buy a few packs of these if they were available for 20$ a pop up here, just to keep em around... but I recently bought 20 new empty shells from Epps for 65$, which is also pretty respectable considering the probable lifespan of each case (and they're boxer primed, of course). Reliability of such home made rounds will be much better too, as they are "new manufacture" and the primers won't be rotten & powder will be fresh. Add a .459 Lee bullet mold for 20$ from factorysales and you've got yourself a bargain... Now if I could only find some IMR-4759 powder so I can start loading, lol!

:D
 
Last edited:
Recently I came across a quote from an old article which refers to smokeless loads for the Martini-Henry rifles, as well as some duplex loads. The article clearly specifies to insert two (2) sheets of toilet paper inside the case after loading it with smokeless to reduce case capacity and add to better (more consistent) ignition. Apparently, after various testing, two sheets of TP is the magic solution for smokeless Martini-Henry loads.:D

I came across an article about a guy using TP in his loads. After shooting a few rounds, the RO ran up to him and told him he set the grass on fire. Oh well!

I use a cotton ball, works great.

For a bullet I use RCBS# 57923 500/465 nitro express bullet. Goes in deep into the case to use up space.

30grn of IMR SR4759 and 1 cotton ball, makes a great load.

Sticker
 
I came across an article about a guy using TP in his loads. After shooting a few rounds, the RO ran up to him and told him he set the grass on fire. Oh well!

I use a cotton ball, works great.

For a bullet I use RCBS# 57923 500/465 nitro express bullet. Goes in deep into the case to use up space.

30grn of IMR SR4759 and 1 cotton ball, makes a great load.

Sticker

LoL! I haven't thought of something like that happening, haha... On the other hand, does setting grass on fire constitute a violation of range rules? I bet it does now! :D

Thanks for the load you've posted. I'm gonna post a table I've made, which contains my findings about making smokeless Martini-Henry loads... stay tuned...

Edit: You can check it out here: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4681081&posted=1#post4681081
 
Last edited:
LoL! I haven't thought of something like that happening, haha... On the other hand, does setting grass on fire constitute a violation of range rules? I bet it does now! :D

Thanks for the load you've posted. I'm gonna post a table I've made, which contains my findings about making smokeless Martini-Henry loads... stay tuned...

Edit: You can check it out here: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4681081&posted=1#post4681081

good info there, I think I saw that somewhere else in a mixed up format.

I am usnig IMR4227 with a cast 405grn (45-70) and TP for wadding and Jamison brass
 
There was a time when Century International operated out of Montreal.

Unfortunetly Canadian ammo import policy requires that ammo be pressure tested by Canadian Labs - H.P. White is not good enough - or the manufacturer still be in business.
That is what I was told by an ammo importer. He also told me that if the head stamps do not MATCH the information on the bills of lading that Customs will refuse entry and have the ammo shipped back to source. This has cost the fellow thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in unrecoverable expenses.
 
Guess I did not order enough.

Important Update on Your Order‏
From: Centurybiz@centuryarms.com
Sent: August 4, 2010 3:49:28 PM
To: john@

Customer John

Your order id 180001 from Saturday, July 31, 2010 15:57

From Century International Arms has a status update in which the status has changed from

Payment Received
to

Order Cancelled

on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 15:51

The order status update message is: Export Customers follow link. http://www.centuryarms.com/?page_id=30 Your order will be cancelled. Terms & Conditions for export orders:
. Minimum export order value: U.S.D. $5,000.00
. All sales subject to licensing requirements.
. Ocean/air freight: EX: Georgia, Vermont, USA
. Prices and inventory are subject to change without notice.
. Export packaging included.
 
Guess I did not order enough.

Important Update on Your Order‏
From: Centurybiz@centuryarms.com
Sent: August 4, 2010 3:49:28 PM
To: john@

Customer John

Your order id 180001 from Saturday, July 31, 2010 15:57

From Century International Arms has a status update in which the status has changed from

Payment Received
to

Order Cancelled

on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 15:51

The order status update message is: Export Customers follow link. http://www.centuryarms.com/?page_id=30 Your order will be cancelled. Terms & Conditions for export orders:
. Minimum export order value: U.S.D. $5,000.00
. All sales subject to licensing requirements.
. Ocean/air freight: EX: Georgia, Vermont, USA
. Prices and inventory are subject to change without notice.
. Export packaging included.

So much for NAFTA and "Free trade" .....
 
Back
Top Bottom