French 1892 8mm lebel questions.

Tyockell18

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Not really sure.
Just got a few questions for your French 1892 owners on here.

I realise that Reloading is the way to go with these and I will be doing that.

That being said I'm curious if any of you have tried .32 S&W longs with no jacketed lead bullets in them?.

I was reading up on it and they supposibly work ok, accuracy is mediocre I understand as the round is just slightly undersized but has anyone actually tried them?.

Ballistics and pressure seem to be on par with fiocchi 8mm lebel so saftey wise they should be fine.

Also anyone on here use .32 acp with moon clips?. What make/loads are you using?.
 
Cut down 32-20 brass is the way to go bullet diameter is .330-331 32 S&W will just rattle down the bore . NEI hand tools makes a bullet mold Reloading dies can be had from C-H 4-D .
 
Just got a few questions for your French 1892 owners on here.

I realise that Reloading is the way to go with these and I will be doing that.

That being said I'm curious if any of you have tried .32 S&W longs with no jacketed lead bullets in them?.

I was reading up on it and they supposibly work ok, accuracy is mediocre I understand as the round is just slightly undersized but has anyone actually tried them?.

Ballistics and pressure seem to be on par with fiocchi 8mm lebel so saftey wise they should be fine.

Also anyone on here use .32 acp with moon clips?. What make/loads are you using?.

.32 S&WL bullet (and .32 acp) is .312", case is .335" diameters.
8mm revolver bullet is .335" and case is .350"

I tried a cylinder full of .32 S&WL based on a suggestion from a guy who supposedly knew what he was talking about. About half the cases split when they were fired. Keyholing and couldn't keep it on paper at 20 feet. Complete waste of time. May as well get a slingshot.

Where have you seen .32 acp moon clips for a 8mm French Service revolver? I didn't know they existed but wouldn't you need to have your cylinder face machined down to accept moon clips? And this for a bullet that is undersized and won't shoot worth crap? Ouch.

Fiocchi makes ammo for the 8mm. If you don't want to reload you need to get hold of the distrubutor and see if they'll bring some in for you. But you'll spend as much on 5 boxes of shells as you will on a reloading kit.
 
Last edited:
I think the .32 S&W long hbwc worked to replace 8mm Gasser, (8.1mm) not Lebel (8.3mm), thought i had a Belgium bulldog in 8mm Gasser, bought two boxs of ammo to find out its 8mm lebel (any one got some to trade for Gasser? or sell?)
 
The base diameter of the 8mm round is a lot bigger than most .32 rounds and the bare is way over as well I'd say its not worth it. You can still get 32acp in Canada.
 
Here's the breakdown of what I got myself for my 8mm Lebel revolver reloading needs. Everything is either special order/custom made :

NEI Tools for the mold: $140

Buffalo Arms for 8mm Lebel Revolver dies: $120

Track of the Wolf for 32-20 brass: $75 for 250 cases

.329 sizer from Lee + bullet lube (for cast bullet sizing): $20

Shooting a 120+ year old antique with custom ammo you've made yourself: priceless!

:D


P.S.
As far as reloading data is concerned, the best approximation I've found for a load is to use a maximum of 3.5 gr of Unique behind a 110-120 gr cast bullet. There are also jacketed bullets available (from Buffalo Arms), but they're not recommended due to the extra pressures and extra bore wear these would certainly create. Good luck!
 
Tallmanindustries.ca used to sell good cast bullets for the 8mm lebel. Now that they have gone out of business i don't know of a source for bullets. Looks like it's casting time for anyone who wants to shoot the 8mm now.
 
The 8mm was made for jacketed bullets. I got dies, .32-20 brass, and jacketed bullets from Mystic Precision, right here in Canada. Only thing is, don't use Remington .32-20 Brass! Like most of what they make, it's garbage. About half split on the first firing. Figured it was the revolver, so I loaded some un-modified for my .32-20. They split too.
 
Just got a note back from Jerry aka mysticplayer here and he has dies, TMJ boolits and will eventually have brass, all at bargain prices.

Since I can replace my small box of Fiocchi I'll send a quick PM and you boys can split it. My good revolver won't be here for another month, probably, and the one I have I definitely want to shoot with black powder from a machine rest the first time. Maybe with video running just in case it goes ka-boom.
 
The 8mm was made for jacketed bullets. I got dies, .32-20 brass, and jacketed bullets from Mystic Precision, right here in Canada. Only thing is, don't use Remington .32-20 Brass! Like most of what they make, it's garbage. About half split on the first firing. Figured it was the revolver, so I loaded some un-modified for my .32-20. They split too.

If I recall correctly, apparently some earlier models were intended for cast bullets and then later on the barrels were redesigned for jacketed (with shallower rifling in the bore). I do not remember the years though... it might've been something that affected only the first models or maybe even the prototypes, I can't recall. But I am positive that some early 1892's were designed for lead cast bullets.

Anyway, I don't think it's prudent to be pushing the limits of this gun as if it had just rolled off the assembly line last month. They're 120 years old after all, and a cast bullet can greatly help to reduce the stress on the gun without side effects to bullet velocity and accuracy. I remember reading about a pressure comparison that was made between FMJ and cast bullets (in the Lee reloading manual, I think) and there was a very significant difference between jacketed and cast lead projectiles. It is also important to remember that shooting cast bullets in bores designed for jacketed is considered both safe and recommended for greater bore longevity. Ever wondered why old .22LR bores look so damn good, even after thousands upon thousands of rounds?

That said, to each their own. If you're getting good results with jacketed bullets, then all the power to you. Personally, I think that a mold and a bucket of wheel weights is a much better deal in the long run, both for savings and safety reasons. But that's just my opinion...

:)
 
FWIW.

The CGN Rules ( And the Law), do not allow selling/buying re-loaded ammo, unless it is commercially manufactured.

Another shooter can load ammo for you. However, you must participate in the proccess of handloading that ammo.

2 cents.

Would anyone on here consider selling me a few handloaded so I can test them out before I buy a bunch of supplies.

I'll pay enough to be worth your while.
 
FWIW.

The CGN Rules ( And the Law), do not allow selling/buying re-loaded ammo, unless it is commercially manufactured.

Another shooter can load ammo for you. However, you must participate in the proccess of handloading that ammo.

2 cents.

Yup I've just become aware of this thanks to a mod, I have pulled my request thanks.

I honestly was not aware of this so I'm glad someone informed me promptly.

Sorry for the mixup everyone.
 
FWIW.

The CGN Rules ( And the Law), do not allow selling/buying re-loaded ammo, unless it is commercially manufactured.

Another shooter can load ammo for you. However, you must participate in the proccess of handloading that ammo.

2 cents.

So, if someone's an inexperienced reloader, they are free to legally buy components/tools/presses & load their own ammo and perhaps blow their hands off afterwards... and they are free to come seek advice on CGN as well, pretty much from anyone (even persons as inexperienced as themselves).

However, buying reloaded ammo from more experienced reloaders is not permitted? As long as the buyer has a valid PAL/RPAL, what would be the issue? If there are safety or other issues with the ammo itself, it should be a mere civil matter between both parties.

I'm not contradicting "the law" (?) or CGN rules, but I'm just trying to see the logic in all this... As I don't recall anything in the Firearms Act pertaining to reloaded ammo being forbidden for sale, although maybe I missed that part somewhere. Gun clubs do it all the time and the quality of their reloads often happens to be very questionable (split or deformed casings, inconsistent loads, etc). AFAIK, gun clubs tend to follow the law to the letter.

So, could you please elaborate on the legalities of "who can" and "who can't"? Thanks...

:confused:
 
:(
So, if someone's an inexperienced reloader, they are free to legally buy components/tools/presses & load their own ammo and perhaps blow their hands off afterwards... and they are free to come seek advice on CGN as well, pretty much from anyone (even persons as inexperienced as themselves).

However, buying reloaded ammo from more experienced reloaders is not permitted? As long as the buyer has a valid PAL/RPAL, what would be the issue? If there are safety or other issues with the ammo itself, it should be a mere civil matter between both parties.

I'm not contradicting "the law" (?) or CGN rules, but I'm just trying to see the logic in all this... As I don't recall anything in the Firearms Act pertaining to reloaded ammo being forbidden for sale, although maybe I missed that part somewhere. Gun clubs do it all the time and the quality of their reloads often happens to be very questionable (split or deformed casings, inconsistent loads, etc). AFAIK, gun clubs tend to follow the law to the letter.

So, could you please elaborate on the legalities of "who can" and "who can't"? Thanks...

:confused:

I think you need an ammunition manufacturing license to legally distribute ammo that you have made. If you don't, you can't. IIRC, the regulations come from The Explosives Act, administered by Natural Resources Canada. That's why you haven't seen it in The Firearms Act.

You can help someone load ammo, using your eqmt., components and knowledge.

I "help" some of my non-reloading friends make ammo. But i would be a bit hesitant to send my reloads to a guy i don't know to be used in a 115 year old antique revolver that I have not seen. No offense to anyone, it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

If i lived closer to saskatoon I'd volunteer to help load up some ammo, but i don't. :(
 
Have any of you guys ordered actual 8mm lebel revolver cases off of buffalo arms?.

I just ordered 50 of them, wondering what the quality of them is.

They have 32 20 cases available too, but why not just buy the real deal right. almost twice the price a case but I don't mind as long as the quality is good.

Let me know if ya have any experience with them, thanks.
 
Buffalo sells good stuff, I am surprised they are shipping brass to Canada as last I heard they are on the ITAR train and have stopped international component shipments.
 
Back
Top Bottom