I found raiding the pantry and stealing the wifes crisco works great, but can get a little messy. the up point is you get to stand in a cloud of black powder and lard smoke every time you shoot.
I use 25 grains of fffg. you'll need to find some oversized lead (.454) wads are not nececary is you use some kind of grease to seal the chambers. But they are cleaner. I found raiding the pantry and stealing the wifes crisco works great, but can get a little messy. the up point is you get to stand in a cloud of black powder and lard smoke every time you shoot. the other option is buying a conversion cylinder. R&D conversions look pretty nice and you could then shoot five rounds of 45acp instead of round ball just by swapping cylinders.
I am on the SAME boat, just got one in 44, I have head about these pre lubricated "buttons" which one can use after the powder and before the ball. (Like a thick lubricated Patch" looks like a small cotton button.
![]()
This is suppose to seal the powder and one no longer needs to crisco the cylinder. Did i get this right?



























