SAA parts interchangability?

A barrel will need the correct thread of 20 TPI. Modern cylinders do not have full length base pin bushings IIRC, but I don't know if that would prevent it from fitting.
 
I like the 7 1/2" barrels and am leaving mine that length. I recently bought a new cylinder in 44 special with bushing and new centre pin out of the USA for mine. The cyl. fits in fine and cyl to barrel gap is .006" but the hand tries to turn the cyl before the bolt drops out so it jams up and will need some smithing. Works fine with the original cyl though> I've been told that I should get a new hand for it instead of altering the original and ruining that original value.
 
You can still buy new 1st generation cylinders and barrels.

Personally i like the 4.75 inch barrels, they look and feel right. 5.5" is a close second.
 
I like the 7 1/2" barrels and am leaving mine that length. I recently bought a new cylinder in 44 special with bushing and new centre pin out of the USA for mine. The cyl. fits in fine and cyl to barrel gap is .006" but the hand tries to turn the cyl before the bolt drops out so it jams up and will need some smithing. Works fine with the original cyl though> I've been told that I should get a new hand for it instead of altering the original and ruining that original value.

yes each cylinder will need a new hand. there cheap buy a new one and keep your old one with your old cylinder (nice to give the stock parts when you go to sell it)
 
Was just searching on another forum for this myself. New gen cylinders have a flatter rachet which requires a different hand with more of a relief cut between the upper and lower hand surfaces. Some people have reported 3rd gen cylinders working fine as is in a 2nd gen but others need to recut or replace the hand with a 3rd gen.

Here's a photo, 3rd gen on left 1st/2nd on right.

ColtSAAhands.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom