tactical870
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
- Location
- Buckhorn, Ontario
Thinking of buying an 1873 Colt SAA. I'm just wondering if newer barrels and cylinders (more caliber choices) will fit on the first generation frames...... Thanks.
The gun is a 7.5" now but a 5.5 sounds like a better balance, however I like a long sight plane.....
I like the 7 1/2" barrels and am leaving mine that length. I recently bought a new cylinder in 44 special with bushing and new centre pin out of the USA for mine. The cyl. fits in fine and cyl to barrel gap is .006" but the hand tries to turn the cyl before the bolt drops out so it jams up and will need some smithing. Works fine with the original cyl though> I've been told that I should get a new hand for it instead of altering the original and ruining that original value.
You can still buy new 1st generation cylinders and barrels.
Personally i like the 4.75 inch barrels, they look and feel right. 5.5" is a close second.
have you seen new 4.75" forsale? all my dealers are sold out of them.
Within every 5.5" there lives a 4.75"... it just costs a bit more to get them shortened.



























