Antique Status firearms converted to shoot modern ammunition

reconboyz

Member
Rating - 99.6%
245   1   0
Location
Northern Ontario
I was wondering what are the Legalities of converting an Antique Status Rifle or Revolver to shoot modern ammunition? For example:.32 RF converted to .17HMR.(converted with a barrel sleeve installed). Will the firearm remain Antique Status, or have to be registered. This may be a repost, but I don't have the time to scan all posts. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.:cheers:
 
Remains Antique status, you wouldnt have happened to buy that Hopkins and Allen .32Rimfire Rifle Sleeved for .17hmr in the Equipment Exchange did you?.

Thats a nice rifle, seen pics of it before.
 
Yes, I had it posted for sale untill another CGN member said this:

Quote"Hello I am not trying to be a pain but you mite want to rethink your ad about a modified firearm as it would require the person that buys it to have a PAL as it is now a converted to use modern ammunition, the reason I am sticking my nose in is that I have had dealing with the CFO's over just the some type of thing, and was told in short order that it would not be classed as an antique and would require a registrations and the owner to have no less than a POL. I am not trying to scare you, but just until they get rid of the long gun BS you mite put it away for the time being".
 
I am pretty sure we went through this same thread just a few weeks ago. Go up to the sticky labelled "link to CFC Antique Regs" --- page 2 is the regs scanned in.

It is the frame or receiver of the gun which qualifies it for age and there is a list of specific calibers which negate that antique status. Whether or not the cartridge is currently in production is not the criteria. It is whether or not the cartridge is on the no go list.

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
It is the frame or receiver of the gun which qualifies it for age and there is a list of specific calibers which negate that antique status. Whether or not the cartridge is currently in production is not the criteria. It is whether or not the cartridge is on the no go list.

Correct. It appears that somethings going on with the CFO or CFC though in an attempt to tighten things up on us. Epps refused to rebarrel a pre 1898 Colt to 38/357 for me last week telling me that they had been told they could no longer re-chamber antiques in these calibers....
 
well, I know theres a few CGN'ers on here that own antique revolvers that have been converted to modern calibers, and they're still antique. I think you're safe, as long as the caliber isnt on the naughty naughty list for calibers. Thats under the antique regs.
 
Last edited:
Bottom line you are safe, but it sounds like the CFC are not happy with what we are doing. It's obvious they read this forum. :wave:
 
The Ontario CFO's meeting last week has lots of mention of CGN. Not for the better either.....
They need to get back in touch with reality. It isn't the CGN'ers that are shooting up Jane and Finch in the Armpit of Canada (otherwise known as Toronto). If they want to earn their salary, they need to get off CGN, get down to Jane and Finch and do something about the actual problem.
 
They need to get back in touch with reality. It isn't the CGN'ers that are shooting up Jane and Finch in the Armpit of Canada (otherwise known as Toronto). If they want to earn their salary, they need to get off CGN, get down to Jane and Finch and do something about the actual problem.

X-2 If they are worried about a few re-built antique firearms then they need to find a better way to waste are money .While all my antiques are original I'm more a collector than just a shooter. I do both and have toyed with re-building a SAA my self but I would still do it to 455 or 44russian I like the old cartridges.
 
reading

Yes they read this forum and one from the USA as well, as it is they have all are info they know if you are on more than one of these sites, they have all along know what we write as it is public info so watch what you say and do online big brother is listening. :p
Bottom line you are safe, but it sounds like the CFC are not happy with what we are doing. It's obvious they read this forum. :wave:
 
have toyed with re-building a SAA my self but I would still do it to 455 or 44russian I like the old cartridges.

Dez...step away for the re-building idea...have a shot of Baileys take a deep breath and you shall come to your senses. :D :nest:
At least you are considering era cartridges. :D
 
Did you attend? What were they saying exactly. You can PM me if you like.

I was not there although there are a number of threads on the contents of the meeting. 2 of the range officers from my club did attend and relayed some of the info. My understanding was that there was little discussion of antiques but maybe someone else here knows more????
 
Dez...step away for the re-building idea...have a shot of Baileys take a deep breath and you shall come to your senses. :D :nest:
At least you are considering era cartridges. :D

it would be a basket case for me to do it to but if you happen to have a few I could practice my bubba skills on ? I have a martini I put a new barrel on but thats because it was just a action I picked up and its in 577 snider.If an old colt or rem. is to the point where a re-build will not decrease its value why not but I would stay to cartridges that they came in pre.1898 Like 455 and 44russian I have a new made cylinder in 455 cost about $275.00 to get it here.
 
Back
Top Bottom