Powder advice needed, Pyrodex or Triple 7?

USP

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Guys I am new to black powder stuff. I have bought a TC Triumph and want to use it for hunting. I was planning on using Hornady FPBs as they dont seem to need patches, bases or sabots. Whats the deal with Pyrodex vs. Triple 7? Any thoughts on either of these?
 
May I suggest that you try Blackhorn 209 powder instead. It is much cleaner than Pyrodex and 777.

Forget about bore size bullets. Instead, go with saboted bullets. They are much more accurate. You will have to figure out what bullet and sabot works well in your muzzleloader. It has to load tight, though not overly so.


My two cents worth...
 
Well Blackhorn is supposed to have a lower residue, which in turn is supposed to allow you multiple shots before having to swab your barrel.

I keep saying "supposed to" because I have some but have not had the chance to try it out, but that is what I read about it.
 
If I go with a powder, what is the safest way to carry it in the field? Do I need some sort of powder horn? Also I take it I need a volumetric spoon or something to dispense even volumes of powder? Can anybody recommend stuff here?

Also for the sabotted bullets, any recommendations?

Thanks guys

Also with the primers, typically how many do you guys carry in the field? is there some sort of strip like container I need to get to carry them? I take it I dont carry the primers, powder and all that like on the side of my hat right? ;)
 
So the pellets are not alot cleaner than regular black powder?

Actually most of the substitutes are significantly more corrosive than BP. real BP is actually not that bad and I have gone weeks by accident without cleaning with no damage. I've also shot 777 pellets out of my stainless MDM and had pitting within the same day.
 
real BP cleans easy pyrodex is more corrosive then real BP 777 is even worse in pellets or lose powder

real black powder clens up with some hot water pyrodex and tripple 7 needs a good BP cleaner and needs to be watched for atleast a week affter shooting to make sure rust dose not form

with real BP i dump hot water down the barrel rund a patch or 2 down dump the water out run a dry patch or 2 down oil it and im done

and pyrodex stinks real bad

and for the guns i use flintlocks and antiques real black powder is the only thing that will work
 
So the pellets are not alot cleaner than regular black powder?


Blackhorn 209 is not regular BP. It is a substitute, just like Pyrodex and 777, but a lot cleaner. With BH 209, I can shoot 20 shots in a row at the range without cleaning and suffer no significant loss of accuracy. With 777 pellets, you have to clean after every single shot. With pellets, you save 10 seconds by not measuring, and waste 10 minutes cleaning. So much for the "convenience" of pellets.

BH 209 does not work in all guns, but it works great in a T/C. A friend of mine has a CVA and he can not get it to shoot reliably with BH 209. The bore is too loose, and the 209 primer causes the sabot to start moviing before the powder fully ignites, resulting in a "hangfire". That is why I said that you need a sabot that loads tight. T/C guns have tighter bores than other muzzleloaders, and finding a sabot/ bullet combination that loads tight should not be a problem.

I currently use T/C Mag Express sabots (XTP 300 Gr. bullets) for plinking, and Barnes TMZ with Barnes sabots for hunting, in a T/C Encore 209X.50. Both are reliable and accurate with 100 grains by volume of BH 209.
 
Last edited:
and to measure any blackpowder or blackpowder sub get a brass measure there cheap and can save your hands and face when useing SUB's

real black powder is a bit safer for the new guy
 
I've tried in my Omega, Pyrodex and 777 powder and pellets. Pyrodex is harder to clean and 777 need's a swab every shot. The 777 pellets left a "crud ring" at the base of where the bullet/sabot was seated before firing.

Then I tried BH209 in the Omega and saw Jesus. I'll never go back to either Pyrodex or 777. The BH209 seems expensive, but the ease of cleanup and no swabbing between shots makes it worth it. When at the range for a longer session I'll usually dry swab after 5-10 or so shots and keep going. Cleanup at home is literally 2 dry swabs to get the majority of the soot out and 5-6 wet CLP patches and it's clean. Once a year I clean the breech and reapply Permatex Anti-Sieze.

I also agree with going with a sabot/bullet combo. The Triumph is kinda designed around it. I use the TC 300 grain ShockWave but you use whatever you want.

To carry charges in the field I use a couple of these:
http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1187&section2=1734&ID=5510

Good luck and let us know what you try.
 
Its to bad many dealers are hosing their customers big time, especially out West. I believe Cabela's sells it for $60 a bottle, here locally I get it for $35 out the door.

Where do you buy yours? If I remember right I paid $50 ish for the last bottle from a store north of Kingston. I'm due for a new one before fall.
 
Where do you buy yours? If I remember right I paid $50 ish for the last bottle from a store north of Kingston. I'm due for a new one before fall.

FYI, I get mine from Londero Sports in St-Jean sur Richelieu for $34.95.

In your neck of the woods, Relais Chasse et Pêche in Grenville, QC (across the bridge from Hawkesbury, ON), sells it for $38.95. Check with them to ensure they have it in stock.
 
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help here. So the B209, is there not much smoke with this? Is ignition slightly faster than the other substitutes? My only past experience is firing actual black powder and that was like 20 plus years ago.
 
Back
Top Bottom