FYI, Avoid Winchester White Box

No the bullets that I'm weighing are obviously not used in factory cartridges. I load ballistic tip varmits, ballistic tips, accubonds, and a Sierra soft point .224. All are within 0.1gr of their spec weight.
 
Also, you made the comment that the primers were not seated properly inpost #32, can you explain what you mean by that?
 
Also, you made the comment that the primers were not seated properly inpost #32, can you explain what you mean by that?

Sure I'll refer you to the 49th (current) edition of the lymann reloading manual. It has some lovely cross sectioned diagrams which shows correctly seated and incorrectly seated primers and what can happen when they are fired.
 
I think you will have a hard time finding any factory ammo that doesn't vary by up to 5 or so grains in a given box.
I weighed some Federal premium ammo in 7mm Mag, loaded with 150 grain bullets. The variance was about 6½ grains from lightest to heaviest.
Just for the heck of it, I shot a couple of groups with this ammo in a very accurate M700. It shot very well indeed.
The primers backing out is usually caused by light loads, not heavy ones, and not by improper seating initially.
And the comment about 3 grain of bullet weight pushing you over the pressure threshold??? I guess not in any real world situation.
Somewhere there seems to be a lack of understanding of the basic concepts involved in factory ammo loading.
Regards, Eagleye.
 
The primers backing out is usually caused by light loads, not heavy ones, and not by improper seating initially.

That's completely contradictory to the Lyman reloading manual 49th edition.

All three of my boxes of federal premium vary in weight by less than 1 grain.

Maybe it's the bullets that were used in your 7mm box? All of my fed prem is loaded with accubonds or partitions which tend to have .1 variance only.

comment about 3 grain of bullet weight pushing you over the pressure threshold??? I guess not in any real world situation.

Well, I have one handload which is JUST backed down to below where pressure signs start showing. I'm confident that if I increased my bullet weight by 3 grains, that would be the same as adding 2 grains of IMR 4320 which would, yes, bring back the pressure signs. Not everyone runs a hot load like that, though, certainly not factory ammunition.
 
I'm confident that if I increased my bullet weight by 3 grains, that would be the same as adding 2 grains of IMR 4320 which would, yes, bring back the pressure signs. .

This statement alone speaks volumes about your understanding of ammunition.
 
This statement alone speaks volumes about your understanding of ammunition.

If I ad one more grain of powder I see pressure signs. A 168gr bullet takes 2 fewer grains than a 165gr or the same pressure signs appear. Heavier bullets can use less powder ot pressure will increase. If I loaded a bullet that was three grains too heavy I would see the same pressure signs as if I had a couple of extra grains of powder in there.

You haven't actually contributed anything except to say that you don't think I know what I'm doing. I really think you're looking in a mirror.
 
If I ad one more grain of powder I see pressure signs. A 168gr bullet takes 2 fewer grains than a 165gr or the same pressure signs appear. Heavier bullets can use less powder ot pressure will increase. If I loaded a bullet that was three grains too heavy I would see the same pressure signs as if I had a couple of extra grains of powder in there.

You haven't actually contributed anything except to say that you don't think I know what I'm doing. I really think you're looking in a mirror.

I personally think that you're over your head. There are far too many variables both in addition to and separate from those you have stated that can have an effect on pressure. Things like increased bearing surface and hardness of jacket material will have far more effect on and contribute more to increased pressure than an additional 3 grains of bullet weight, all else being equal.

I'd take a look at firing pin protrusion and headspace before I started #####ing and cranking to Big W...
 
winchester is for the most part good on getting things fixed state side i had a friend who's cylinder blow up the sent the box to winchester along with the gun thay sent the gun to the company with a litter saying what happend got a new gun and some free ammo

WW white box is known to have a over load now and then but then agian so does hand loaded ammo so much as a little dust in a die can throw a powder charge off

or it could be your gun the firing pin may be set too far out
 
Back
Top Bottom