Stopped while carrying?

First of all, you guys telling everybody that walking in the bush with an antique (revolver), loaded and holstered is legal should be aware that

1. There is no police or RCMP in the bush, only conservation officers
Have a nice day!

I beg to differ. There are RCMP in the bush in my area. I have been involved with a gent that was stopped by LEO in the bush that had an antique iron on his hip. Long and short unless you have a carry perment you will charged.
 
I beg to differ. There are RCMP in the bush in my area. I have been involved with a gent that was stopped by LEO in the bush that had an antique iron on his hip. Long and short unless you have a carry perment you will charged.

So you say?
So what was the out come in court ?
lotsa people get charged for stuff but Crown council will throw out the charges if theres no hope of conviction.
More info needed with a post like this ^
a precident has not been set yet as far as i know.
was it a Perscribed antique handgun by Canadian law or just and old antique in 45 colt or something ? Theres a big diffrence between and antique gun and a perscribed antique. most dont even know the diffrence.
Theres a very Nice DA Colt 1878 in the EE its Antique but because its 44 40 its got to be registered.

I remember one other fellow in B.C said the same thing a few years ago on CGN about a guy on his farm arrested for packing a antique handgun, then didnt post again. nothing to back it up.
 
I haven't, but when I do I'll give you a report. Since buying one, I've had it out every time I'm in the weeds, as it were. so I'm assuming that at some point it'll happen. I'm not expecting any problems, but then again I'm a polite individual, when talking to the "authorities"
 
A 'in-your-face' attitude seldom wins many points with anyone, including possible LEO's found 30 miles into the remote wilderness. You should not expect every LEO to take your word that your fine piece of history is, indeed, a legal antique. I find that most LEO's, if they have been on the job for more than a few years, may have heard the (ahem) rare individual tell a lie. As a result, they may not immediately believe you with all their heart and soul, shall we say. If I pack my antique into the wilderness, I always bring along proof of its antique status, as well as photocopy of the appropriate section of the law so that I can politely satisfy any LEO that I may meet in some remote, mosquito-infested swamp miles from the nearest road. It has been my experience with LEO's that once they find out about these sort of antiques, they want one too.
 
Even with the pertinent sections of the criminal code and statement of regulation, the police may not believe you. A friend had one of his guns temporarily confiscated and when we took a xerox copy down to the local office, the office staff tried to verify the information in their copy of the law. They could not find it although did return the gun several days later

cheers mooncoon
 
so, did you have an encounter with an LEO while carrying a loaded antique handgun in the bush? Probably not I guess.

.

No, but this statement you made:



Heck, even walking in the bush with a loaded rifle and no hunting license (or out of season) will get you into trouble.


Is completely false. It's legal to carry a loaded rifle with no hunting license in BC, as long as you are not HUNTING.
 
No, but this statement you made:



Heck, even walking in the bush with a loaded rifle and no hunting license (or out of season) will get you into trouble.


Is completely false. It's legal to carry a loaded rifle with no hunting license in BC, as long as you are not HUNTING.

In Ontario, you will probably get charged with a gun and no hunting license in the bush.
 
In Ontario, you will probably get charged with a gun and no hunting license in the bush.

That's what I understand, too. I've heard people sayin Ontario they should get a small game lic and/or carry targets with them to demonstrate you were "target practicing"
:)
 
In Ontario, you will probably get charged with a gun and no hunting license in the bush.

Why? What would the charge be? Do you know someone who has? I have been stopped in the bush with a non-restricted rifle and no hunting licences. I was not charged, detained, or even asked to show my firearms certificates. I could see some questions asked if you were out in the middle of gun season for moose of deer, the people are pretty thick in spots. But come on, not allowed a firearm in the bush for the whole year? If someone could provide one case in Ontario for someone with a loaded firearm in the bush let me know. It is no everywhere in Ontario people have access to ranges, where are we to go?
 
Why? What would the charge be? Do you know someone who has? I have been stopped in the bush with a non-restricted rifle and no hunting licences. I was not charged, detained, or even asked to show my firearms certificates. I could see some questions asked if you were out in the middle of gun season for moose of deer, the people are pretty thick in spots. But come on, not allowed a firearm in the bush for the whole year? If someone could provide one case in Ontario for someone with a loaded firearm in the bush let me know. It is no everywhere in Ontario people have access to ranges, where are we to go?

I think its reverse onus type law, where you have to prove that you werent hunting or if you are found in an area with game with a gun you are assumed to be hunting otherwise. Then again up north over the summer the SG license is void anyhow.
 
I think its reverse onus type law, where you have to prove that you werent hunting or if you are found in an area with game with a gun you are assumed to be hunting otherwise. Then again up north over the summer the SG license is void anyhow.

In BC... The conservation officer just has to think you were hunting and they can charge you if you have a firearm with you. Then you would have to prove you didn't. It's to stop poachers who didn't get anything ect ie they are in a park with guns hunting but just say nope we didnt because they don't have an animal with them ect.
 
In BC... The conservation officer just has to think you were hunting and they can charge you if you have a firearm with you. Then you would have to prove you didn't. It's to stop poachers who didn't get anything ect ie they are in a park with guns hunting but just say nope we didnt because they don't have an animal with them ect.

Ontario is the same way, if conservation officer thinks you were hunting they can charge you if you have a firearm with you or not, refer to the definition of hunting in the regulations. Many guys caught poaching here the conservation officer’s waits until the hunting is over, the firearms are put away, the games a hanging, safer that way for everyone. Remember though conservation officers have to prove you were hunting and not going to charge you for nothing. Brings me to a good joke I like:
THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT!!
A couple went on vacation to a resort up north. The husband liked to fish, and the wife liked to read. One morning the husband came back from fishing after getting up real early that morning and took a nap. While he slept, the wife decided to take the boat out. She was not familiar with the lake, so she rowed out and anchored the boat, and started reading her book.
Along comes the Game Warden in his boat, pulls up alongside the woman's boat and asks her what she's doing? She says, "Reading my book." The Game Warden tells her she is in a restricted fishing area and she explains that she's not fishing. To which he replied, "But you have all this equipment. I will have to take you in and write you up!" Angry that the warden was being so unreasonable, the lady told the warden, "If you do that, I will charge you with rape." The warden, shocked by her statement, replied, "But I didn't even touch you." To which the lady replied, "Yes; but you have all the equipment!"
 
Back
Top Bottom