I saw a Hopkins & Allen "Sterling" model stud trigger in .32 rimfie revolver for sale on craigslist. The pics were very nice, and the price was right, so I contacted the guy and he dropped by with the pistol. He admitted he knew jack about firearms in general and antiques in particular, but he'd picked it up at an auction sale because he liked the look of it.
When he unwrapped it, my heart went pit-a-pat! It was georgeous!! The nickel was about 99% with just a few tiny spots of wear on it, and the grips were nearly pristine, also with minimal wear. My first "oh no" was when I cocked the pistol. The hammer spring was nice & tight, the hammer locked back snugly and the stud trigger came into position, BUT the cylinder didn't lock into battery. I released the pin holding the cylinder, and took a look. The arm that engages the cylinder ratchet to rotate it into firing position was gone, and the part that engages the cylinder detent to hold it in position would not rise into position. My second "oh no" was when I put the bore light down the barrel. It was not shot out, but deliberately abraded with some sort of power tool to remove all of the rifling.
I had to tell him the sad news that what he had paid for was a pistol with a few saleable parts (the cylinder and grips), but basically a wall hanger. This was not a result of age and normal use or abuse, this was a deliberate defacement of a nice little piece of history. How sad that someone had chosen to deactivate a lovely old pistol in such beautiful shape and turn it into a piece of junk. Just thought I'd share.
When he unwrapped it, my heart went pit-a-pat! It was georgeous!! The nickel was about 99% with just a few tiny spots of wear on it, and the grips were nearly pristine, also with minimal wear. My first "oh no" was when I cocked the pistol. The hammer spring was nice & tight, the hammer locked back snugly and the stud trigger came into position, BUT the cylinder didn't lock into battery. I released the pin holding the cylinder, and took a look. The arm that engages the cylinder ratchet to rotate it into firing position was gone, and the part that engages the cylinder detent to hold it in position would not rise into position. My second "oh no" was when I put the bore light down the barrel. It was not shot out, but deliberately abraded with some sort of power tool to remove all of the rifling.
I had to tell him the sad news that what he had paid for was a pistol with a few saleable parts (the cylinder and grips), but basically a wall hanger. This was not a result of age and normal use or abuse, this was a deliberate defacement of a nice little piece of history. How sad that someone had chosen to deactivate a lovely old pistol in such beautiful shape and turn it into a piece of junk. Just thought I'd share.


















































