U.S. brass embargo?!

Metman2

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Buffalo Arms: " Due to federal regulations we cannot ship rifle and pistol brass outside the U.S."

Track of the Wolf: "...we cannot ship brass cases out of the country."

I bought brass this summer from Starline, and from Jamieson just before they went out of business, but I hadn't finished my orders. Now I'm stumped.

Is this really a ban on exports, or is it a case of too much paperwork for some companies? I was hoping to get my paws on some new .50-70 Govt.
 
I'm not sure it's really due to any gun-ban activists, but the 'war on terror' has increased the paperwork and dried up the supply in Canada of products from U.S. companies that have decided to give up. They probably aren't losing a ton of customers, so it's understandable.
 
I suspect that they cannot ship to anyone other than an agent. Such agents will have put in for import permits for so many pieces or so many dollars and when that is full, have to apply for another batch. Try Mystic Precision; I just recently received an order of 25-20 shells which I suspect had to come through from their wholesaler.

cheers mooncoon
 
My money is on that the good folks from Homeland Insecurity have finally had 'the talk' with TOTW about the brass they have been shipping. Or their own Lawyer has.

Is there a distinction anywhere in the ITAR/ Homeland/ whoever rules relating to exporting brass, that specifically exempt brass for Antique guns?

In the meantime, there are still folks that can bring it in, or you can do the import paperwork and buy from a licensed exporter.

Cheers
Trev
 
The only ammunition that you can take home to Canada is that ammunition which you imported - with you, from Canada - under the authority of a Form 6NIA.

ATF
<http://www.atf.gov/>

DDTC Homepage
<http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/>
<http://www.atf.gov/>
 
.50-70?

P*ss on it. P*ss on them. P*ss on all the Gummint clowns. Nazis, the lot of them! They wave the red-and-white, the red-white-blue, the red-and-yellow, more red-white-blue, but what's the difference? They are ALL clinically-paranoid control freaks.

Just get some 8mm Lebel from Anthony at Trade-Ex and open it up. Close enough for jazz. Works for those Norski Remingtons, too.

You can also open up .348 Winchester, which is still available, or neck 32-bore shotgun shells.
.
 
The only ammunition that you can take home
to Canada is that ammunition which you imported - with you, from Canada - under the authority of a Form 6NIA.

ATF
<http://www.atf.gov/>

DDTC Homepage
<http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/>
<http://www.atf.gov/>

From Huntington Die Specialties:
"We will export in any place in the world that the United States Department of State will allow us. There are restrictions concerning ammunition components. We must apply for an export license. This takes from 30 to 60 days. There is a service charge of $250.00 for processing the export license.
If your country requires an import certificate, we will need the original or a certified copy of the original certificate. If your country does not, we need an original letter stating your country does not require an import certificate. This letter must be stamped with an official government stamp."

Canada Customs might charge GST on declared brass. I've never heard of the Canadian government requiring an import licence for metallic reloading components, at least not for modest amounts that are not for resale.

It's taking it out of the U.S. - i.e. exporting, that is causing all the grief. It doesn't just apply to U.S. companies. In theory, even if you drove across the border, picked it up and drove back, unless you had the licence, you could be charged with exporting without a licence if you were stopped.

What is new to me is that the U.S. govt requires anyone exporting brass to have an appropriate licence. Five-ten years ago it seemed that only items used by the military were under such restrictions. So M1A synthetic stocks were taboo, but Swedish m96 stocks were OK. Now it looks like the shyster lyers have sharpened the definition....
 
Buffalo Arms: " Due to federal regulations we cannot ship rifle and pistol brass outside the U.S."

Track of the Wolf: "...we cannot ship brass cases out of the country."

I bought brass this summer from Starline, and from Jamieson just before they went out of business, but I hadn't finished my orders. Now I'm stumped.

Is this really a ban on exports, or is it a case of too much paperwork for some companies? I was hoping to get my paws on some new .50-70 Govt.

Ya...Nothing new here on the restrictions.....The funny thing is, Buffalo Arms is allowed to ship shotgun brass out of country....
 
Rifles and pistols are controlled by the BATF but shotguns or at least their barrels are controlled by I think it is the Dept of Commerce in the US. Possibly the same situation with empty shells.

cheers mooncoon
 
Rifle and pistol shells are covered by ITAR. Part 121 of the ITAR, gives the U.S. Munitions List:

121.1 Category III Ammunition/Ordnance
Section (f)
(1) The components, parts, accessories, and attachments controlled in this category include, but are not limited to cartridge cases, powder bags [..] bullets, jackets, cores, shells (excluding shotgun shells), projectiles,[...].
(2) [..]
(3) Equipment and tooling in paragraph (c) of this category does not include equipment for hand-loading ammunition.

While they accomodate sport shooting enthusiasts by excluding handloading equipment, they do not make any exemption for non-military cartridges. Logically, obsolete BP cartridges should be exempt. Or do they still consider Custer's gun to be in the arsenal?:rolleyes:
..
Rifles and pistols are controlled by the BATF but shotguns or at least their barrels are controlled by I think it is the Dept of Commerce in the US. Possibly the same situation with empty shells.

cheers mooncoon
 
Yesterday, just for the hell of it as I am occasionally wont to do, I went to the TOTW website and "ordered" some 45-90 brass by Starline. I went through the entire billing process except the final key stroke and never had any message flash up about not being able to ship to Canada. Go figure...
Conversely, the Starline website states explicitly that they cannot ship outside the USA (presumably without the appropriate paperwork).
 
Back
Top Bottom