Need help evaluating a fine old H & H rifle. MORE PICS.

Thanks for all the advice. Although a lot of it is contradictory, it reinforces Smellie's advice about taking the time to do a lot of research and consulting before taking a decision on this one. As for the condition, the bores are very, very nice and so is the wood. I was impressed with the condition of the rifling (for a gun that was supposedly built in 1895 and used with BP) so I took pics which didn't turn out so good. I'll try to get other pics when I go back to pick up the few rifles I bought from the owner of this one. He is selling a good chunk of a lifetime's worth of collecting and I agreed to help him out with this one. I can handle and afford the cheaper stuff he has such as 94's, 1885's, Lee-Speeds etc. but this is way out of my league. He mentioned he had recieved two offers in the past for the H&H, one for $7000 and another for $12000 but wasn't ready to sell yet. He's still wary about getting "taken" by a dealer in the past, so I told him not to rush into a sale of this piece.

As for the other trinkets that might have been in the case, all that was in there was the rifle and the three UK coins, which supposedly one would put in there after every trophy collected by the hunter. At least that's what he said he had found out about the meaning of the coins. The following "recipe" is engraved on the left side of the reciever, CHARGE 4 DRAMS CASE 3 1/4 INCHES. See pics for more details.

HollandHolland006.jpg


HollandHolland007.jpg


HollandHolland009.jpg


HollandHolland013.jpg
 
Last edited:
It sounds like he is trying to get every nickel out of the gun. The best way is to put it in a well advertised Auction and get it in early so that the word will get spread.
He could put it on a number of sites himself and see what kind of offers he gets.
You can get all the estimates and apprasials but if 2 people (collectors) are biding on it, value goes out the window. Just check out the selling prices of the high end guns of Wes Adams went for at the James Julie Auction. Some items estimated high end of $100K went for 2x that. These items are going to collectors not dealers. But you have to pay the juice to auction house to get these prices.
Not many Canadians in that crowd at JDJ LOL.
 
It sounds like he is trying to get every nickel out of the gun.

I don't think it's so much that (the nickel thing) as not getting a fair idea of what something is worth and accepting an offer without being sure you're getting a fair price. When he refused the two offers I mentionned before, the gun was not for sale at the time. Now he is retired and selling most of what he owns to move into an appartment with his ailing wife. I really don't think he's trying to squeeze nickels.

Thanks for the input.
 
Have you tried your luck for info on the Doublegun Journal Forum?

May be worth a look. There are two sub forums for rifle folk there, one relating to Doubles and Cape guns, the other for single barrel sporting arms. Lots of folk concentrated in one site, with relevant experience.

As to where it goes...It goes where the guy with the money is from. Easy as that.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom