Lyman .54 rifle

It appears what you have is an Investarms (as previously stated, an Italian manufacturer)
Model 120A BP ML Rifle; 2 triggers (ie with set trigger), patchbox, single wedge, 28" barrel.

TheOldSarge was correct. It is an Investarms Model 120 A. He was also kind enough to let me know that it was made in 1977. Thanks OldSarge.
 
No, he doesn't. As has been explained above, the Great Plains Rifle has TWO barrel wedges.

What I think you have is a Safari Arms, or some other Hawkin type made by Investarm (they make the Cabelas Hawkins also) with a Lyman barrel on it.
Which is exactly what I have, only I went the other way and put a 50 cal Lyman barrel on my 54 cal Safari Arms

Lyman offered the Plains Rifle,( I own one, the "push button" patchbox is the give away, and yes,1 wedge), the Great Plains Rifle introduced in 1980 ( I own 2, yes 2 wedges) and the Trade Rifle, introduced in 1979 .
All are made by Investarms who also made for Safari Arms and who ever else wanted to buy from them. Investarms would call it Model 120A and the other retailers they made for like Lyman had their own names for them.
 
Lyman offered the Plains Rifle,( I own one, the "push button" patchbox is the give away, and yes,1 wedge), the Great Plains Rifle introduced in 1980 ( I own 2, yes 2 wedges) and the Trade Rifle, introduced in 1979 .
All are made by Investarms who also made for Safari Arms and who ever else wanted to buy from them.

I stand corrected.:redface:
Have a left hand flint Great Plains Rifle, the Safari Arms, and a left hand Deerstalker carbine with a 20" half octagon, half round barrel. All nice guns, except for the rough triggers. Any advice on what to do about them?
 
Davis makes an almost drop in double set trigger for the GPR. I haven't tried one yet but others say it is an improvement.
 
To Chumley, your welcome, and to theDuck, now the Lyman line's history makes sense.
So at one time, they sold a Trade, a Plains, (ie the Model 120A), and the Great Plains.
Today their lineup consists of, from short to long; Plains Pistol (percussion only), Deerstalker (24" barrel, 1:48 twist), Trade (28" barrel, 1:48 twist), Great Plains (32" barrel, 1:60 twist), and Great Plains Hunter (32" barrel, 1:32 twist). The rifles come in flintlock or percussion; all come in .50 or .54 calibre. Both versions of the Great Plains have 2 triggers.
I like this site, I learn something new everyday.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom