Well my .65 calibre runs about the same at .645 & .647 for each of the two barrels. My scissor mold pops them out at about .625 in round ball diameter. I use pure lead for this.As long as it functions with reasonable reliability, then I'm satisfied. It's no bench-rest pistol, that's for sure. Hell, it doesn't even have sights on it.
So, I got my calipers out and confirmed that it's a .65 bore.
What size ball and patch would you suggest? .648"?
It just occurred to me that perhaps getting such a large caliber as a first BP might have been a poor choice. I don't recall lead being that expensive! lol
Also, any experience shooting shot from this kind of pistol?
I have a couple of British 24ga (.577 cal.) pistols that I plan on trying with shot.
I have a percussion .69 or so caliber that I have been refinishing. I have fired shot out of it and the spread is outrageous haha still fun though
Mclean
Well my .65 calibre runs about the same at .645 & .647 for each of the two barrels. My scissor mold pops them out at about .625 in round ball diameter. I use pure lead for this.
My patches are about .017 in thickness.
I have yet to fire small shot loads from this one of mine.
I did find a quote from an American sight regarding these "horse pistols" originally by the famous gunwriter W.W. Greene. He is quoted as saying birdshot/buckshot loads should be about 3/4s of an ounce for this size of bore. Assuming we are talking about good shooting condition of course.
Gosh I don't know if the percentage translates to other bore sizes? I think he meant 3/4s of an ounce and that's it as a defintitive answer.Do take pics!
hit-your-neighbour's-target kind of outrageous? Because that doubles as being HILARIOUS. For you at least.
So, about 75% the mass of a round ball? I wonder if this translates well to other gauges.



























