I find the Strangest Things

Road King

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I know what this is but can't seem to find any information on when it may have made:rolleyes: or information on the maker, Naval Electric Company.:confused: It stands about 15" high and has 14 " barrel. It is made of brass and is plated. Bore is
1" and it appears to be either 6 or 4 gauge. An 8 gauage cartridge falls right in.
Anyone with any information or reference in any books that you may have would be appreciated.;)

DSC09902.jpg


DSC09905.jpg


DSC09904.jpg


DSC09903.jpg


DSC09906.jpg


DSC09907.jpg
 
Must be a rare item, google turns up very little.

Ask these folks, I'm sure they can help you out, but they may try hard to buy it from you as they have it on their "wanted" list: http://www.cannoncollector.com/


Christies had a hit as they seem to have sold one similar, no pic though:
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=915441

Other hits, however sparse:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/message/28800

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20090911/news/309119991

"EBAY SCRIPT"
Great item,just as described,great packing job, very fast shipping. Thanks AAA++
Member id obcesso ( Feedback Score Of 790)
Sep-29-10 06:34
B&H Yacht Cannon Hotchkiss Naval Elec Co Signal Salute (#300469059798)

US $4,300.00 "
 
That there is one of them beaver takem out devices. Ya mount it up on a pickny table,placed carefully beside a slough,load it up,grab a cold one,light up the bbq,place a juicy steak on it......and wait,,,,:popCorn:
 
I am guessing that it is a line throwing gun. Probably shot either a rocket or a vaguely arrow like weight that dragged a line with it so that heavier ropes could be pulled across and allow a salvage vessel to tow in a vessel in distress

cheers mooncoon
 
Signal cannon. They had one or two of them on "Pawn Stars" on the History channel, albeit theirs were older (from the colonial days, lol).

Cool device, but apparently it can't shoot anything else than a blank charge. It was used to signal when a ship was approaching a harbor in order to get the people on shore to throw/attach lines, etc... and to warn other vessels of your presence.

Strange stuff indeed! Could've been used on a famous vessel for all you know... that's because they didn't need to be very big to be effective (very loud), apparently.


(try to see if it says "RMS Titanic" anywhere on that label, lol!)

:D


Check this out:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/21584...lack-powder-swivel-deck-signal-cannon-1--bore

634549908286842620yy3b51vg.jpg


WWII Liberty Ship Black Powder Swivel Deck Signal Cannon 1" Bore. Here is a swivel deck signal cannon made on board a US Liberty ship during the Atlantic crossing during WWII. This machine shop cannon is made for shipboard deck mounting with 360 deg. movement and adjustable elevation. This 1 inch bore rolled steel deck cannon measures 17 inches from end to end and fires with a black powder charge and fuze (local pick-up or shipping by arraignment only!). This cannon was made on board a US Liberty ship during WWII and is made using period ship parts (see photos). The barrel is lathe turned from a Liberty ships drive shaft and is extremely durable, the base is a six bolt steam pipe connector, and the swivel arm is from a cable winch rotator coupling. This signal cannon uses black powder only. This is not a toy and should be used with sober adult supervision. On the bow of any ship, boat, or yacht this is a commanding piece and has a loud report for a signal cannon (black powder charge alone). It makes nice smoke rings out to about eighteen feet. If you don't already have one then here is your chance. The barrel is the question as it measures 17 inches long. The total weight of the cannon is approximately 57lbs.

SS_John_W_Brown.jpg

US Liberty Ship

:eek:
 
Last edited:
Oh my. Got pics of the other hats? What were they?

Not clear enough to make a call on the top one (didn't even notice it, you're right). All I can make out is a neck ring. Russian three bolt or a Draeger?
I see a bunch of diving pics too. Is/was he a diver or just a (rich) collector?
 
Oh my. Got pics of the other hats? What were they?

Not clear enough to make a call on the top one (didn't even notice it, you're right). All I can make out is a neck ring. Russian three bolt or a Draeger?
I see a bunch of diving pics too. Is/was he a diver or just a (rich) collector?

These are all my collection, buy this stuff when I can find it. Yes I was a diver and started out by tending a Hard Hat Diver in the 60s. I am on the road right now and only have a few photos to share.
The top one is an early 3 Bolt Chinese TK10 or 12, the one on the floor under the table is a Korean Kim (1930s) The single photo of is the Schrader. (1898 confirmed by records of orginal drawings that I have) Don't believe it was ever used as it still has the original leather gasket between helemet and breast plate. I also have a Draeger, Siebe Gorman, Mrk V by Schrader, I think, ( I gave it to my son a number of years ago) I also had a Moorse MkrV but sold it or visa versa, I also have a made up Christanson & CE Heinke from parts. Lots of Knives to match some of the helmets Lots of old SCUBA regs and stuff including old diving photos.

Back to original post, need help with the cannon. :confused:

DSC06973.jpg

DSC06974.jpg

DSC06972-1.jpg
 
I didnt realize it was your place, absolutely stunning collection, thanks for sharing! I'm rounding 20 years in the diving racket myself. One these days I'd like to get another heavy gear set to give my students a crack at it.
Sorry for the hijack...
 
Back
Top Bottom