Collection Status

Collectors are a sub group of gun enthusiasts that the antis want too quash. For that reason alone, every gun owner should apply to become one.
When the cfo/anti gets their way and you cannot own a restricted unless you belong to and are an ACTIVE MEMBER of a recognized club, cfo will have an excuse to remove/deny your ownership of restricteds. If you are a Collector, you still have a good reason to own restricteds.
Unless you are a Collector, if your range is closed for any reason, you no longer have a legit reason to own restricteds and will have to turn them in. If you are a Collector, you still have an exellent reason to own restricteds.
You write the test once and if you recieve collector status, when purchasing a restricted you are asked the purpose and you simply reply "for collecting" No problems.
If you own guns in a future non-conservative Canada, potential home inspection of your "collection" will be the least of your worries. IMHO
 
Collectors are a sub group of gun enthusiasts that the antis want too quash. For that reason alone, every gun owner should apply to become one.
When the cfo/anti gets their way and you cannot own a restricted unless you belong to and are an ACTIVE MEMBER of a recognized club, cfo will have an excuse to remove/deny your ownership of restricteds. If you are a Collector, you still have a good reason to own restricteds.
Unless you are a Collector, if your range is closed for any reason, you no longer have a legit reason to own restricteds and will have to turn them in. If you are a Collector, you still have an exellent reason to own restricteds.
You write the test once and if you recieve collector status, when purchasing a restricted you are asked the purpose and you simply reply "for collecting" No problems.
If you own guns in a future non-conservative Canada, potential home inspection of your "collection" will be the least of your worries. IMHO

What test are you talking about? Yes, I agree full heartedly with your opinion. Get collector status!
 
What test are you talking about? Yes, I agree full heartedly with your opinion. Get collector status!

It's not really a test but you are requested to demonstrate your knowledge of the subject.

Win 38-55 is right. Home inspection is never to be taken lightly. Make sure if (big IF here) and when (I don't know anyone who has been inspected) you are requested to allow an inspection of your storage (and only your storage) that you know your rights and the limits of their inspection.
 
Anyone have thoughts on the importance of supporting collecting by becoming a collector?
The larger the group, the harder it will be for the antis to shut them down or refuse others the same status. The more branches of the shooting sports that thrive and are easily accesible, I think, the better it is for the sport in general.
 
Just sent in my 1101E form to the CFO. Let's see what happens. I put down my intended restricted revolvers that I would like to own along with my understanding of the storage laws, the history of each handgun and my signature.

this will be interesting.
 
this will be interesting.

I'm glad to witness your initiative and I welcome you to a very small club.
Cheers Bud, whether you are in or no, I still welcome you!!!
I sincerily enjoy your interest and anyone who helps to push the knowledge forward.

What I find sad and interesting at the same time, is the lack of initiative from the lameoids that claim they love antiques but fail to have the balls to step up to the plate and be recognized (and targeted) as COLLECTORS

Support the hobbie you love! How tough is that?
 
Last edited:
I'm glad to witness your initiative and I welcome you to a very small club.
Cheers Bud, whether you are in or no, I still welcome you!!!
I sincerily enjoy your interest and anyone who helps to push the knowledge forward.

What I find sad and interesting at the same time, is the lack of initiative from the lameoids that claim they love antiques but fail to have the balls to step up to the plate and be recognized (and targeted) as COLLECTORS

Support the hobbie you love! How tough is that?

Ditto. Everyone that owns a gun, or would like to, should get Collector status. Someone younger with ambition could start the collectors association, couldn't hurt. I'll join, and wear the shirt.
 
Ditto. Everyone that owns a gun, or would like to, should get Collector status. Someone younger with ambition could start the collectors association, couldn't hurt. I'll join, and wear the shirt.

Fvck they got shirts!??? I'm in! LOL

Thanks for coming Out.
It really is is the next level and a no-brainer IMHO.
CHEERS Bud!
 
Anyone have thoughts on the importance of supporting collecting by becoming a collector?
The larger the group, the harder it will be for the antis to shut them down or refuse others the same status. The more branches of the shooting sports that thrive and are easily accesible, I think, the better it is for the sport in general.

That is a good point.
 
I'm glad to witness your initiative and I welcome you to a very small club.
Cheers Bud, whether you are in or no, I still welcome you!!!
I sincerily enjoy your interest and anyone who helps to push the knowledge forward.

What I find sad and interesting at the same time, is the lack of initiative from the lameoids that claim they love antiques but fail to have the balls to step up to the plate and be recognized (and targeted) as COLLECTORS

Support the hobbie you love! How tough is that?

Pete04,

Yes, I am all in. I will definitely reply when I get confirmation. Collector status is the way to go! I could care less if they want to come and inspect my place every day. Nothing to hide. I was in the military for 12 years and security industry prior to that. Bring it on!
 
The only potential downside to the inspection thing is that the collector's status application requires that you sign off on agreeing to inspections.

Well from someone that was one for quite a few years and maybe it was just because I lived in a small town I would never never recommend it to any one.
Yes I was inspected twice over a 10 year period which I honestly could not care less about. My issue was everyone in town all of a sudden knowing you had a couple 100 guns including criminals. You quickly become a target.
After a couple attempted break ins I would not go anywhere and might as well put a big sign on my lawn.Get your free handguns here. Also problems with the insurance company etc.
Big city may be 100% different but not here in my small town. I have other stories to share also from other fellow local collectors which also have since gave it up.
Cops don't want anyone in town with a couple hundred guns under one roof especially what we had and in my opinion will do what they can to get rid of them.
In today's world the less that know I have guns the better
Sorry but I sold off 90% of the collection ,am no longer a collector just an average hunter / shooter and sleep well now in the nights and leave the house and go on vacation again. Just one man's 2 cents.
 
Last edited:
Well from someone that was one for quite a few years and maybe it was just because I lived in a small town I would never never recommend it to any one.
Yes I was inspected twice over a 10 year period which I honestly could not care less about. My issue was everyone in town all of a sudden knowing you had a couple 100 guns including criminals. You quickly become a target.
After a couple attempted break ins I would not go anywhere and might as well put a big sign on my lawn.Get your free handguns here. Also problems with the insurance company etc.
In today's world the less that know I have guns the better
Sorry but I sold off 90% of the collection ,am no longer a collector and sleep well now in the nights and go on vacation again. Just one man's 2 cents.

All arguments ought to end on this note:(. The guys at the range weren't steering me wrong after all. Collectors Status= a bad idea. If you own restricted guns shoot 'em, become and or maintain a membership at a club and that is your reason for ownership.
 
All arguments ought to end on this note:(. The guys at the range weren't steering me wrong after all. Collectors Status= a bad idea. If you own restricted guns shoot 'em, become and or maintain a membership at a club and that is your reason for ownership.

Plinker,

IMO it's fine to be a collector and a shooter. Nothing wrong with that. There comes a day when you either live too far away or just don't feel like paying the membership or too dam old or busy to make it to the range anymore. Then having the collector status is good rather than giving up your guns because you are not a member of a club.
And there are many different collectors..some only have a few guns and others have many.
I would be very surprised if the govt ever pulled collector status away from citizens. They could grandfather I suppose so if that was the case even more reason to get it sooner than later.
 
Like I said different locations in canada it may be fine. Here it was not.
Ask one of your police friends who the collectors are in their areas and I bet they can name them off the top of their heads . The old registry made sure of that.
The only good that came out of it for me was I got to find out how great dogs are and have some to this day. Old Teddy was the best better than any home defense gun. Take care
teddy.jpg
 
Ask one of your police friends who the collectors are in their areas and I bet they can name them off the top of their heads.

Just because one feels persecuted, doesn't mean one actually is. Ask most police who has collector status and they probably won't even know what collector status means. Ask an NWEST officer or CFO and that might be a different reply.
 
Just because one feels persecuted, doesn't mean one actually is. Ask most police who has collector status and they probably won't even know what collector status means. Ask an NWEST officer or CFO and that might be a different reply.

Hard to compare Alberta to anti gun nova scotia but anyway it is simple to find out ask one that you know and I think you will be shocked.It is way more than a feeling with me and others here my friend. I have shot with two 25 plus year service officers since I was in high school both are considered good friends and one day during the early registry years one says man I didnot know you were a collector and had so many guns. Seems I showed up on a report he had run . Funny part was 4 doors down from him was probally 100 long guns but no collector and he was not even on the radar.
Think about it if you were a cop would you not want to know where all the guns are in your area especially hanguns and prohibs. I know I would.
All I am trying to say to the boys here is make 100% sure of what you are getting into before you do it since it takes many years to lose the label once they place it on you.Take care:)
 
hard to compare Alberta to nova scotia anyway it is simple to find out ask one that you know and I think you will be shocked.It is way more than a feeling with me and others here my friend. I have shot with two 25 plus year service officers since I was in high school both are considered good friends and one day during the early registry years one says man I didnot know you were a collector and had so many guns. Seems I showed up on a report he had run . Funny part was 4 doors down from him was probally 100 long guns but no collector and he was not even on the radar.
Think about it if you were a cop would you not want to know where all the guns are in your area especially hanguns and prohibs. I know I would.Take care:)

A friend of yours, who was a cop, and into guns, ran you around 20 years ago. That is different than a posted "hit list" of collectors and gun enthusiasts burned into their memory from the office wall next to the fresh stolen vehicles for the day to look out for. That isn't being on the radar, than is him curious about you because he knows you. All sorts of wrong in that on its own, but it is much different than a internal published list.

Ask most cops and I think you'd be surprised, most don't know hardly anything at all about the finer details and bits of the Firearms Act, let alone that there is even a "Collectors Status" available.
 
A friend of yours, who was a cop, and into guns, ran you around 20 years ago. That is different than a posted "hit list" of collectors and gun enthusiasts on the office wall next to the fresh stolen vehicles for the day to look out for. That isn't being on the radar, than is him curious about you because he knows you. All sorts of wrong in that on its own, but it is much different than a internal published list.

Ask most cops and I think you'd be surprised, most don't know hardly anything at all about the finer details and bits of the Firearms Act, let alone that there is even a "Collectors Status" available.

It was not 20 years ago and I will say one final thing. If you think reports were not run by individual officers and saved on disc of the individuals that had the large gun collections in their areas at the close of the registry you are not living in the real world at least here right or wrong. Also you probally deal with rcmp from others areas of canada originally vs us with local town cops we grew up with so that alone makes a difference
Here is one for you all the long gun data is gone now correct however they tell me if you have a restricted that data base is still active and shows all guns you have and had at registry closure including long guns. Collector status didnot work for me or others here and was a real hassel. take care:)
 
Back
Top Bottom