Collection Status

It was not 20 years ago and I will say one final thing. If you think reports were not run by individual officers and saved on disc of the individuals that had the large gun collections in their areas at the close of the registry you are not living in the real world.
Here is one for you all the long gun data is gone now correct however if you have a restricted that data base is still active and shows all guns you have and had at registry closure. Collector status didnot work for me or others here. take care:)

They don't care that much. Trust me, I don't have to ask. Collector status means nothing to front line enforcement officers on patrol. Or even at a district/detachment office level. Not even in a General Investigations unit. Either you are licenced to own and have an ATT to transport or you don't. Collector status only matters to the CFO and an officer that is declared as an inspector, or the person on the phone that ok's the transfer when you buy. There is a reason units like NWEST exist, because most cops know jack-squat about the Firearms Act and its finer details. The vast majority don't even know anything about ATTs. The ones that do own guns themselves.

So much tin foil it isn't funny. :runaway:
 
They don't care that much. Trust me, I don't have to ask. Collector status means nothing to enforcement. Either you are licenced to own and have an ATT to transport or you don't. Collector status only matters to the CFO and an officer that is declared as an inspector, or the person on the phone that ok's the transfer when you buy.

So much tin foil it isn't funny. :runaway:

So you have collector status now???:confused:
 
So you have collector status now???:confused:

No, just personal experience on the level of understanding police have in regards to licencing, ATTs. Have helped several friends with a badge by walking them through how to conduct their first restricted transfers/purchases, their first ATT requests, explaining how the magazine laws work, etc etc etc. You have no idea how little is known and how little people with a badge care about lawful citizens owning guns. Its the bad guys they want.

You said "early years of the registry". That was near 20 years ago. A lot changes.
 
No, just personal experience on the level of understanding police have in regards to licencing, ATTs. Have helped several friends with a badge by walking them through how to conduct their first transfer, their first ATT request, explaining how the magazine laws work, etc etc etc. You have no idea how little is known and how little people with a badge care about lawful citizens owning guns. Its the bad guys they want.

OH Boy. . We have no further questions judge for this witness.;)
 
Well, since I brought this wonderful thread to life I will make a small statement. If I was a cop (and a paranoid one) I would be way more worried about the guy down the street that was not on any registry and owned god knows how many or what type of guns then I would be a fella that was considered an actual collector and there was a record of what he owned. At least if I was making a call to a domestic disturbance I would have a better idea what was in the residence.

Having said that...I hate the Canadian gun laws!
 
Ok I see your statement and raise it with. If I was a crook, drug dealer etc looking for handguns and was going to break in somewhere tonight where would I go to a gunshop with video, alarms, bars on windows etc, a known collectors house or some guy down the street that is seen at the skeet club the odd time and has some guns.
I hate the laws also. take care

Been a few collectors and gunsmiths hit in NS in the past few years but even found one for my Alberta friend.


Licensed Alberta Gun Collector Loses 12 Handguns in 'Targeted Robbery'23 February 2011
Calgary Herald (Alberta)
A dozen guns are believed stolen from a collector after a home invasion in Ogden on Tuesday morning. Police say at 11 a.m. two men rang a doorbell in the 8000 block of 20A Street S.E. and pulled a gun on the home's occupant. They demanded the man's firearms. After being shown where the guns were kept, the man was tied up. Police say the suspects left in a charcoal grey newer model Chevrolet pickup with chrome rims that was driven by a third suspect. The victim, who... (GunPolicy.org)
 
Last edited:
Well, since I brought this wonderful thread to life I will make a small statement. If I was a cop (and a paranoid one) I would be way more worried about the guy down the street that was not on any registry and owned god knows how many or what type of guns then I would be a fella that was considered an actual collector and there was a record of what he owned. At least if I was making a call to a domestic disturbance I would have a better idea what was in the residence.

Having said that...I hate the Canadian gun laws!

Cops who are called to a domestic disturbance assume dangerous individuals, with dangerous weapons are involved in dangerous, abusive, intoxicated activities before they arrive. What are you trying to say, when a cop gets called to a DD and searches the registry only to find nothing, he takes off his vest and belt, knocks on the door and asks them to turn down the radio? If the registry shows no guns, then there must be no guns right? I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but I don't believe the "bad guys" register. Any beat cop in a big city assumes and is therefore prepared for the worst regardless of what a stupid, useless registry tells him.
Again, I don't believe Collectors Status is a good idea. Just because you haven't been to the range in a long time or let your membership laps doesn't mean you have to change status, your reason for ownership is the same...target. That's what the guns are for, just haven't done it in a while is all!!;)
It is easier to maintain memberships though and that would be my recommendation to all.
 
Ok..here is a scenario...possibly mine.

I live over 100km from the nearest range (gun club). Let's say I have LTATT to go to that range. I have 'no' collector status. What if one day due to financial issues that club decides to fold due to financial pressures. What then? The next nearest club is well over 300km away. Not very likely I will be visiting that one. So now I would have to apply for collector status as the CFO would see no reason for me to own any restricted guns. Why not just have the "collector status" always there so no issues.

As I said before I really see no reason why a person should not have collector status. At least that way I will be able to keep my investment (and for most people it is a big one).
 
Cops who are called to a domestic disturbance assume dangerous individuals, with dangerous weapons are involved in dangerous, abusive, intoxicated activities before they arrive. What are you trying to say, when a cop gets called to a DD and searches the registry only to find nothing, he takes off his vest and belt, knocks on the door and asks them to turn down the radio? If the registry shows no guns, then there must be no guns right? I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but I don't believe the "bad guys" register. Any beat cop in a big city assumes and is therefore prepared for the worst regardless of what a stupid, useless registry tells him.
Again, I don't believe Collectors Status is a good idea. Just because you haven't been to the range in a long time or let your membership laps doesn't mean you have to change status, your reason for ownership is the same...target. That's what the guns are for, just haven't done it in a while is all!!;)
It is easier to maintain memberships though and that would be my recommendation to all.
Interesting you bring that up.My buds
are seasoned vets I guess well over 30 years now and one thing I have heard over and over from them is before the registry every call answered it was assumed the guy had access to firearms and we responded accordingly however since the dam registry and the computer age too many rookies are relying on the system and data base and it is just a matter of time before one responding to a domestic call gets blown away. Both were real glad to see the registry go and honestly didnot worry 1/2 as much about being shot with an unregistered firearm from a crook nope it was the never a problem family man dude with the registered guns that snaps for what ever reason they feared most.take care:)
 
Ok..here is a scenario...possibly mine.

I live over 100km from the nearest range (gun club). Let's say I have LTATT to go to that range. I have 'no' collector status. What if one day due to financial issues that club decides to fold due to financial pressures. What then? The next nearest club is well over 300km away. Not very likely I will be visiting that one. So now I would have to apply for collector status as the CFO would see no reason for me to own any restricted guns. Why not just have the "collector status" always there so no issues.

As I said before I really see no reason why a person should not have collector status. At least that way I will be able to keep my investment (and for most people it is a big one).

+1 I agree with your reasoning.
Sadly one member has had a bad experience with collector status. That's a shame but it is no reason to throw a whole class of gun owners under the bus.

Collecting and Collector Status is one of the (too few) reasons allowed by the powers that be for owning firearms and if we don't exersize that priveledge then my fear is we will lose it and the antis will be one more step closer to their goal of disarmement of the public.

If everyone applied and recieved this status there would be less likelyhood of individuals being targeted by crooks or the authorities while at the same time we would be strenthening our ranks as ligitimate firearms owners.

I believe I have every right to collect guns as a hobbie with no need to join a gun club/range period.
 
+1 I agree with your reasoning.
Sadly one member has had a bad experience with collector status. That's a shame but it is no reason to throw a whole class of gun owners under the bus.

Collecting and Collector Status is one of the (too few) reasons allowed by the powers that be for owning firearms and if we don't exersize that priveledge then my fear is we will lose it and the antis will be one more step closer to their goal of disarmement of the public.

If everyone applied and recieved this status there would be less likelyhood of individuals being targeted by crooks or the authorities while at the same time we would be strenthening our ranks as ligitimate firearms owners.

I believe I have every right to collect guns as a hobbie with no need to join a gun club/range period.

When I was raised and lived in the USA I had a right to own guns here we have no right that I know of.
I was not trying to sway anyone in either direction just wanted to expose the other side of it and get you guys to slow down and ask perhaps some longtime collectors at your clubs how it works for them.

I somewhat agree with your comments and like I said it seems your location in canada makes a big difference with respect to if it will be a positive experience or not. Here it was not for me and many others.
Regardless once you join that group all individuals many more will know why including criminals so there is an increased risk of a break in etc.
How will they know let me join your club for one month and bet I can find out who is the serious collectors.. For me just to keep one from paying club dues and shooting the odd time is not a valid reason for collector status even if you have to travel 300 kms I'm sure one can do that once a year to keep their guns. You have 6 handguns say but I have 125 shotguns really who is the true gun collector. The entire "collector " status defination to me needs to be revised.But to each their own. Good luck with what ever you decide and I hope it is positive for you. Kind Regards:)
 
Last edited:
Point taken 3Macs1.

Hopefully it will be a good experience. I am not too worried about break ins here as we live in a very small town and every knows everyone and I have several O.P.P. officers living beside me and across the street. I would be almost everyone here has at least one rifle for hunting.
Anyway, threw my 2cents out there with regards to collector status. I will keep everyone up to date on the outcome of my application.

Mike
 
I just got my collector status. I have had no restricted guns for a while, then made aplication to have a restricted transferred to me.
When the CFO for BC, AKA Alberta, got the application they sent me two forms. One was to send a copy of my club membership to them and the other was a form to be a collector. They sent a page from the regulations, stating something to the effect that the pistol being applied for had to fit the status of use applied for.
I guess they were politely telling me that a Mauser c96 "Broomhandle," was not exactly a gun to go into shooting competitions with!
The part about inspections didn't sound too bad. The appointment had to be set up in advance and they could just look at where your guns was stored. They can do the same thing now, if they so desire, plus I couldn't see them wanting to inspect my one old collector gun!
The form for collector status made it quite plain that one had to have a reason for being a collector.
One reason was getting guns through inheritance, where there was no interest in shooting the guns.
The reason I chose, of course, was getting a genuine collector type gun.
As such, I had to fill out a half page on the history of gun, as to why it was historic and what I knew about it!
Maybe I'll just post some pictures of the Broomhandle in this section, to show my entire collection of restricted guns.
 
I just got my collector status. I have had no restricted guns for a while, then made aplication to have a restricted transferred to me.
When the CFO for BC, AKA Alberta, got the application they sent me two forms. One was to send a copy of my club membership to them and the other was a form to be a collector. They sent a page from the regulations, stating something to the effect that the pistol being applied for had to fit the status of use applied for.
I guess they were politely telling me that a Mauser c96 "Broomhandle," was not exactly a gun to go into shooting competitions with!
The part about inspections didn't sound too bad. The appointment had to be set up in advance and they could just look at where your guns was stored. They can do the same thing now, if they so desire, plus I couldn't see them wanting to inspect my one old collector gun!
The form for collector status made it quite plain that one had to have a reason for being a collector.
One reason was getting guns through inheritance, where there was no interest in shooting the guns.
The reason I chose, of course, was getting a genuine collector type gun.
As such, I had to fill out a half page on the history of gun, as to why it was historic and what I knew about it!
Maybe I'll just post some pictures of the Broomhandle in this section, to show my entire collection of restricted guns.

Hi,

So what did you actually receive as far as collector status? Some card? Or just them saying you have it? Yes, I remember filling out that form last week. I put down 3 handguns that I want to collect. I attached 3 pages of history etc for each one. I am going to be very surprised if I don't have to jump a few hurdles for this.
 
All I got was a phone call, telling me my collector status had been approved.
A week later on a Friday, I phoned to see if everything was through. It was, so they gave me the info by email, including a permit to bring my gun home, which was a hundred plus miles away. Thus, I got it home yesterday and here are some pictures of it.
It's a five digit serial number, starting with 34 and all parts are the same number, including the holster/stock.
Broomhandle001_zps8ed44145.jpg

Broomhandle007_zpsc2c35ded.jpg

Broomhandle008_zps1ae74801.jpg

Broomhandle012_zps21696754.jpg
 
All I got was a phone call, telling me my collector status had been approved]QUOTE
A week later on a Friday, I phoned to see if everything was through. It was, so they gave me the info by email, including a permit to bring my gun home, which was a hundred plus miles away. Thus, I got it home yesterday and here are some pictures of it.
It's a five digit serial number, starting with 34 and all parts are the same number, including the holster/stock.

Thats awesome. Only thing with mine is I have not purchased my handguns yet. (Did not want to do that unless I have approval) so they may not even go for it until I have made a commitment to purchase. Nice Broomhandle!
 
i've had my collector status for a few years now after finding out about it here on CGN. i called the ontario cfo office and they inturn sent me some paperwork to fill out. it's basically like writing an essay on the type of firearms you want to collect. doesn't nessacerally mean you have to collect that perticular type of firearm. i wrote about the history of colt and now own a few norc's. they sent me a letter that states that i'm a collector as of a certain date, i'd have to find the paper to tell you exactly what it says and it's at my parents house in a box that we haven't unpacked since moving 4 years ago. i have yet to have a problem with a transfer, someone showing up to ask me to see my "collection" or even a phone call about it. i don't belong to a range and have no intention on joining one for the time beeing. i own restricted firearms because i want to, no other reason.....:rolleyes:
 
i've had my collector status for a few years now after finding out about it here on CGN. i called the ontario cfo office and they inturn sent me some paperwork to fill out. it's basically like writing an essay on the type of firearms you want to collect. doesn't nessacerally mean you have to collect that perticular type of firearm. i wrote about the history of colt and now own a few norc's. they sent me a letter that states that i'm a collector as of a certain date, i'd have to find the paper to tell you exactly what it says and it's at my parents house in a box that we haven't unpacked since moving 4 years ago. i have yet to have a problem with a transfer, someone showing up to ask me to see my "collection" or even a phone call about it. i don't belong to a range and have no intention on joining one for the time beeing. i own restricted firearms because i want to, no other reason.....:rolleyes:

Fergie...you are my hero! That's exactly what I like to hear. I sure hope it goes the same for me! I wrote up a huge history on the older Webley/Enfield revolvers I was interested in. And yes, may be I will not end up with one of them but who knows. I guess it's kinda stupid that you have to write up a big report on a handgun you may never own.
As previously mentioned, unless you own(collect) a large amount of firearms I would not expect any sort of inspection in your lifetime.
 
If anyone is interested..........

Gun collectors
30. The criteria referred to in subparagraph
28(b)(ii) are that the individual
(a) has knowledge of the historical, technological
or scientific characteristics that relate
or distinguish the restricted firearms or handguns
that he or she possesses;
(b) has consented to the periodic inspection,
conducted in a reasonable manner, of the
premises in which the restricted firearms or
handguns are to be kept; and
(c) has complied with such other requirements
as are prescribed respecting knowledge,
secure storage and the keeping of
records in respect of restricted firearms or
handguns.

28b(ii) just says CFO shall register a restricted if it meets requirements of target, employment, or part of a collection.
 
Back
Top Bottom