Collection Status

H4831, that is a beauty of a Broomhandle. Some of them are legal antiques and others are not. The antique ones require no registration, permits, etc. I assume yours is a non-antique due to you getting collector status for it?
 
I may be wrong but I do think the amount of guns may make a difference with respect to inspections say a guy with 10 vs a guy with 200 . Like I said I had two inspections over maybe 10 years.Also had a gun hating guy next door so he could have been the cause God Knows.
Collector status was not something I really ever wanted but my Dad was a fair parttime gunsmith from the 50's to 80's and all types of guns were everwhere in the house growing up. When he got killed in a mining accident I really didnot have a choice if I wanted to keep his collection. There was a ton of rare restricted and prohibs at the time with a total count adding in the long guns of well over 200 , plus what ever my brothers had themselves at the same location. I can see looking back why I would have felt I was a target for break ins etc.Also thinking about it him being a known smith never helped as far as town people knowing we had quite a stash of guns. Well that is all behind me and today if they want my little 28ga collection fill your boots.
 
H4831, that is a beauty of a Broomhandle. Some of them are legal antiques and others are not. The antique ones require no registration, permits, etc. I assume yours is a non-antique due to you getting collector status for it?

Yes, it was registered to the former owner.
I wonder how some could get antique status?
It is the original 7.63 x 25 calibre, if calibre had anything to do with it.
 
If a person has collector status can they purchase handguns with barrels 4 inches or less? I do not have 12.6 prohib status but have a fondness for short barrelled Webley pistols and would like to buy a few.
 
I just got my collector status. I have had no restricted guns for a while, then made aplication to have a restricted transferred to me.
When the CFO for BC, AKA Alberta, got the application they sent me two forms. One was to send a copy of my club membership to them and the other was a form to be a collector. They sent a page from the regulations, stating something to the effect that the pistol being applied for had to fit the status of use applied for.
I guess they were politely telling me that a Mauser c96 "Broomhandle," was not exactly a gun to go into shooting competitions with!
The part about inspections didn't sound too bad. The appointment had to be set up in advance and they could just look at where your guns was stored. They can do the same thing now, if they so desire, plus I couldn't see them wanting to inspect my one old collector gun!
The form for collector status made it quite plain that one had to have a reason for being a collector.
One reason was getting guns through inheritance, where there was no interest in shooting the guns.
The reason I chose, of course, was getting a genuine collector type gun.
As such, I had to fill out a half page on the history of gun, as to why it was historic and what I knew about it!

Hey H4831,
How long did it take from the time you sent the paperwork until the time you were a bona fide collector?
 
If a person has collector status can they purchase handguns with barrels 4 inches or less? I do not have 12.6 prohib status but have a fondness for short barrelled Webley pistols and would like to buy a few.

I don't believe so. Only have what you are allowed with your PAL/RPAL
If you like short bbl guns there are a number of short barrel antiques you could own.
 
If a person has collector status can they purchase handguns with barrels 4 inches or less? I do not have 12.6 prohib status but have a fondness for short barrelled Webley pistols and would like to buy a few.

X3, you can't collect prohibited firearms unless you are licenced to own/acquire them regardless of their historic importance/uniqueness...:( i know, but true none the less.
 
Hey H4831,
How long did it take from the time you sent the paperwork until the time you were a bona fide collector?

I sent in the paper work by regular mail on a Friday and the next Friday they phoned and said I was approved.
 
Agree if you didnot get grandfathered 12.6 prior to the cut off date maybe Feb 14th 1995 but that is off the top of my head and could be worng you can never get it.

It's a crime, what happened to you and I'm very sorry to hear of your unhappy experience.
I hope you understand that my intent in promoting Collector Status for everyone in the shooting sports and particularly those attracted to Antiques is to bolster the ranks so that in the future the bullies that be will think twice about messing with ligitimate Collectors. 1 gun or 1,000 makes no diff. You should have the right to your personal property and the freedom to pursue your chosen hobbie. Folks that just want to collect and not necesarily join a club/range (and risk loosing their hobbie should the range be closed or the fees become so high that only a chosen few may participate, tinfoil I know LOL) have just as ligit of a claim to own firearmes as the police, the military or any Olympic athlete and other firearms owners should recognize and support this.
(gallows humour) Sort of the hang together or we will surely hang separately. Everyone knows there is no reason to own any Milsurp, a pistol or a black rifle and semi auto scoped hunting rifles are a crime against nature. (sarcasm off)
 
Wow, that was fast but I think mine will take a bit longer Why? because I did not purchase a gun so not waiting for transfer and they don't have my phone number..lol

i didn't have any transfers in process, wasn't really sure when i applied what i really wanted. had my "collector status" piece of paper within a week or two, can't remember exactly because it was a few years ago but a lot faster than i thought and bought my first restricted the same week it came in the mail. still pretty sad that i can take out my .375 H&H, .338 min mag or my .300 win mag not to mention any of my other rifles and shoot in the fields behind my house but i can't take my 9mm, 40 S&W or .22 out because that just isn't safe.......:rolleyes: but that's a whole different thing.
 
It's a crime, what happened to you and I'm very sorry to hear of your unhappy experience.
I hope you understand that my intent in promoting Collector Status for everyone in the shooting sports and particularly those attracted to Antiques is to bolster the ranks so that in the future the bullies that be will think twice about messing with ligitimate Collectors. 1 gun or 1,000 makes no diff. You should have the right to your personal property and the freedom to pursue your chosen hobbie. Folks that just want to collect and not necesarily join a club/range (and risk loosing their hobbie should the range be closed or the fees become so high that only a chosen few may participate, tinfoil I know LOL) have just as ligit of a claim to own firearmes as the police, the military or any Olympic athlete and other firearms owners should recognize and support this.
(gallows humour) Sort of the hang together or we will surely hang separately. Everyone knows there is no reason to own any Milsurp, a pistol or a black rifle and semi auto scoped hunting rifles are a crime against nature. (sarcasm off)

Well said and don't misunderstand, I do agree with you're enthusiasm. Problem is our laws need to change but I fear I won't live long enough to see that change...and I'm middle age.
In Canada firearms ownership isn't a right of citizenship, its a privilege. That's why we need a licence. It proves competency much like a drivers licence, and like a drivers licence the privilege can, and has in many cases been revoked. Our cousins south of the border has this enshrined right attached to their citizenship, again something I doubt we will ever be able to enjoy here in the Great White North. This despite many of our ancestors having to declare on their census how many male children of age could be eligible to serve in His Majesty's Service should the need arise. When the need did arise many militia/loyalist units were, for all intent and purpose outfitted with arms from above their own hearths, but this service has largely been forgotten.
I'm off to run a patch or two through my muzzle loader...rant off...thanks for listening. :D
 
Yes, it was registered to the former owner.
I wonder how some could get antique status?
It is the original 7.63 x 25 calibre, if calibre had anything to do with it.

Some Broomhandles are antique. It can be confusing to determine exactly which ones were made prior to 1898, though, as I read on another thread.
 
i didn't have any transfers in process, wasn't really sure when i applied what i really wanted. had my "collector status" piece of paper within a week or two, can't remember exactly because it was a few years ago but a lot faster than i thought and bought my first restricted the same week it came in the mail. still pretty sad that i can take out my .375 H&H, .338 min mag or my .300 win mag not to mention any of my other rifles and shoot in the fields behind my house but i can't take my 9mm, 40 S&W or .22 out because that just isn't safe.......:rolleyes: but that's a whole different thing.

Yes, it's a ridiculous law! I was sooo amazed to hear about antique status of guns.....never even knew that existed. Well, I will certainly mention on this forum when and if I see a collector status letter.

cheers
 
Yes, it's a ridiculous law! I was sooo amazed to hear about antique status of guns.....never even knew that existed. Well, I will certainly mention on this forum when and if I see a collector status letter.

One of the few good things about C68 was that it defined antiques. While I feel that the criteria are too narrow, they are still a lot better than the previous version which I believe said in part, "if the ammunition is not commercialy available" That classification lead to a lot of variation in its interpretation

cheers mooncoon
 
It's a crime, what happened to you and I'm very sorry to hear of your unhappy experience.
I hope you understand that my intent in promoting Collector Status for everyone in the shooting sports and particularly those attracted to Antiques is to bolster the ranks so that in the future the bullies that be will think twice about messing with ligitimate Collectors. 1 gun or 1,000 makes no diff. You should have the right to your personal property and the freedom to pursue your chosen hobbie. Folks that just want to collect and not necesarily join a club/range (and risk loosing their hobbie should the range be closed or the fees become so high that only a chosen few may participate, tinfoil I know LOL) have just as ligit of a claim to own firearmes as the police, the military or any Olympic athlete and other firearms owners should recognize and support this.
(gallows humour) Sort of the hang together or we will surely hang separately. Everyone knows there is no reason to own any Milsurp, a pistol or a black rifle and semi auto scoped hunting rifles are a crime against nature. (sarcasm off)

Fully understand and hope it proves positive for all. Been a member here about 2 years but these were my very first posts in this section and have to say you guys seem to be a pretty cool group. Almost got me wanting to get back into collecting the old stuff again. :cheers:
 
A fair bit of paranoia evident; as someone said a few pages back, "a lot of tin foil here."

Seriously, I'm with those that think having collector status is a good thing. The general public appears to react a lot better to gun ownership if one is a "collector." People collect stamps, or coins, or matchbooks, or salt and pepper shakers, or cars, or old guns - no big deal to many.

It's not like LEOs don't have access to the restricted and prohib gun database if you are just a range member and not a collector. Either way, they will know what you have when they check the database.

Having collector status, in addition to a range membership, may also be a good thing at some point in the future, especially if the limits on shooting handguns become even more restrictive. Collectors might be the last ones targeted by the anti-gun lobby. That said, I do hope that the handgun laws become less restrictive and more reasonable.
 
Back
Top Bottom