Looking to buy my first antique handgun...any advice?

Great advice! But I have to disagree with comparing it to a car,I bought my first car when I was 14 (69 charger,440,4 speed),and restored it over 3 years till I got my licence,then when I got my licence I knew my car inside out!,I love it and still have it,..and I am learning a lot thanks to everyone hear,I do have 1 advantage,where I'm a welder I have access to equipment like a ultrasonic tester,and a x-ray machine used for testing metals looking for cracks and pores the naked eye can't sees,so having a antique tested Is no problem at all..I still have a good bit of learning to do on pressure,making ammo,ect,ect but I'll get there thanks to everyone here!

You're analogy to the charger is incorrect. You bought that car and learned about it for 3 three years before you got your license. That's not the same as buying a car and driving before you were qualified. I hope you can grasp the difference.

X-raying your antique won't hurt but it doesn't mean you won't get hurt if you use the incorrect loading. Personally I fully support your right to physically damage yourself any way that you like and I won't lose any sleep over it,, EXCEPT that firearms accidents have a negative impact to the firearms community and i wouldn't like that to happen. There is a lot of opinion offered as fact on internet forums and especially with regards to antique firearms, and at this point you don't have the knowledge to know the difference. Invest a few hours of your time in getting that basic knowledge and you will be rewarded. Good luck.
 
You're analogy to the charger is incorrect. You bought that car and learned about it for 3 three years before you got your license. That's not the same as buying a car and driving before you were qualified. I hope you can grasp the difference.

X-raying your antique won't hurt but it doesn't mean you won't get hurt if you use the incorrect loading. Personally I fully support your right to physically damage yourself any way that you like and I won't lose any sleep over it,, EXCEPT that firearms accidents have a negative impact to the firearms community and i wouldn't like that to happen. There is a lot of opinion offered as fact on internet forums and especially with regards to antique firearms, and at this point you don't have the knowledge to know the difference. Invest a few hours of your time in getting that basic knowledge and you will be rewarded. Good luck.

Lol I will agree to disagree with you on all of your last post....I'm not going to buy a gun,run out the same day buy some unknown bullets that will fit or make them and try to fire it off,that is just stupid...Just like when i bought my charger,i never drove it the same day i bought it,i spent 3 years learning and fixing before i drove it...same idea i have for a gun...IF I do buy a gun soon,I will research it,bring it to a gun shop,bring it to the range and get everyone's info BEFORE I shoot it,if I ever shoot it,as I stated in past posts,i buying it mostly as a collectible,but may take it to the range to interact with some local gun nuts...how can I learn if I don't have nothing to go by,I'm not going to learn how to load every single antique gun there is before I buy one,that's just mental...I'm not brain dead! :D....but thanks for your post,much appreciated!!
 
I just wanted to write this for all who is concerned that I will "hurt myself" and have a negative impact on the antique gun community...YES I'm young (24 years old)....YES I'm new to guns..BUT I'm not stupid and have really good common sence...I'm a huge antique buff..I love all antiques from cars too furniture too guns...both my vehicles are antique..my house was built in the 1800's..all my furniture is pre 1950's..ect...I'm not a "gangbanger" looking to be "tuff"..if I wanted to look "tuff" I'd get myself a new glock,tuck it in my waste,and walk around downtown waiting to get arrested lol...But that's not me...I just recently decided to start collecting antique guns..and that's why I joined this site,and besides if I wanted to just get a gun to just "have one" I wouldn't be spending big money on one...I LOVE ANTIQUES of all kinds..And when you buy the right antique it will only go up in value(most times) instead of buying something new and a month later it's only worth half of what ya payed....I don't mean to sound rude by ANY means...I just wanted to clear that up just so everyone knows I'm not here to just buy a gun,I'm here to start a collection and a new hobbie and make some new friends in the process...and please note this post was not directed to any single person,just wanted to tell you my story and hopefully all you "newbie" haters will cut me some slack :p:D
 
Last edited:
you need to reload for these guns almost all antiques cant handle factory loaded ammo

if you dont know a thing about firearms you should not reload take some time with a non restricted rifle or shotgun for a bit
 
You might enjoy browsing on this site collectorsfirearms.com They have a lot of interesting antique pistols.
 
Lol I will agree to disagree with you on all of your last post....I'm not going to buy a gun,run out the same day buy some unknown bullets that will fit or make them and try to fire it off,that is just stupid...Just like when i bought my charger,i never drove it the same day i bought it,i spent 3 years learning and fixing before i drove it...same idea i have for a gun...IF I do buy a gun soon,I will research it,bring it to a gun shop,bring it to the range and get everyone's info BEFORE I shoot it,if I ever shoot it,as I stated in past posts,i buying it mostly as a collectible,but may take it to the range to interact with some local gun nuts...how can I learn if I don't have nothing to go by,I'm not going to learn how to load every single antique gun there is before I buy one,that's just mental...I'm not brain dead! :D....but thanks for your post,much appreciated!!



LOL...
Gosh, it appears you didn't understand a single thing I said so there's no point in talking rationally if nobody is listening. I wish you good luck.
 
One thing I like to point out about antiue guns is the availability of spare parts, or in most cases a lack there of. The Colt SAA is my favorite antique as 1st gen parts are still made today being such a popular gun. I would prefer to grab a new hand out of my spare parts bin then have to make one from scratch when the time comes, just sayin'.
 
One thing I like to point out about antiue guns is the availability of spare parts, or in most cases a lack there of. The Colt SAA is my favorite antique as 1st gen parts are still made today being such a popular gun. I would prefer to grab a new hand out of my spare parts bin then have to make one from scratch when the time comes, just sayin'.

Very good point,thanks for the reply,I have a few friends that are pretty crafty with a lathe ,CNC machine and milling machine so I can get almost anything made for free,but then again that takes away from the value...point well taken,thanks again :)
 
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but there is one first generation Colt SAA that you can get without any modifications at all, and that is for the 41 Colt cartridge. They require a little more knowledge to reload for, if I understand correctly. I've never reloaded for the 41 Colt so I don't know for sure. First Gen Colt SAA were also produced for the 44 Russian caliber, but they are very rare and probably very expensive. The 41 Colt is much cheaper to find.
 
Colt single and double action revolvers were also make in British .450, .455, and .476 calibers. If pre '98, all are antique.
 
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but there is one first generation Colt SAA that you can get without any modifications at all, and that is for the 41 Colt cartridge. They require a little more knowledge to reload for, if I understand correctly. I've never reloaded for the 41 Colt so I don't know for sure. First Gen Colt SAA were also produced for the 44 Russian caliber, but they are very rare and probably very expensive. The 41 Colt is much cheaper to find.

I have been doing some research on the SAA colts..beautiful guns...but I will defenitly be doing some homework on the 41 colt you mentioned!!! And the Russian :p..thanks a lot for the Advice! :)
 
The most amazing thing that I have read in this thread is that Newfie_gun_nut got his 1969 Charger 440 - 4 speed at age fourteen (14) restored it in three (3) years, (finished high school during the same time, I am assuming), got his Red Seal Welder ticket, a Red Seal (HD no less) Mechanic ticket, left this morning at 06:33 to "hit the gun store, stop at the range and then touch base" when he gets home (yet still be able to reply to posts here on CGN). All this and he's only twenty-four (24) years old now. That is the most amazing story I have read or heard and you should be applauded!!! Newfie_gun_nut, are you holding out on us and not telling us about your time machine that gives you the abbility slow down or speed up time as required? If I lived in NF I would support you to run for Premier. You sir are amazing, and I am sure will succeed in your quest to find the best darn shootin' iron in NF.
 
One of the most unique and interesting suggestions I've had so far is the antique C96 Mauser broom handle...so far it's been one of my favorites...not for shooting but for collecting...any comment on this gun???
 
One of the most unique and interesting suggestions I've had so far is the antique C96 Mauser broom handle...so far it's been one of my favorites...not for shooting but for collecting...any comment on this gun???

They're absolutely beautiful antiques. They can be hard to pinpoint and are worth mega $$$$. Some on here suggest $7K, I should point out that those prices are recently for non-matching shooter grade C-96 (which still hold and go up in value). True matching collectors pieces are commanding top dollar wherever you look these days, prices have gone up. Parts are hard to source and equally expensive, but still available and cheaper if you go with the Chinese made variety (I myself would not).

All that said if you can source one it's worth every penny.

Here's two ;), both antique.

_MG_4889_zptj45365fdr2.jpg


_MG_4899_fdty52345gst76h.jpg


If you truly have an interest in C-96 I've grown quite the database and can help identify them for you. Feel free to ask any questions.
 
Last edited:
I can only give you one advice, don't buy an expensive antique as first handgun, you will regret it, and most likely lose money. Almost all Colts SAA offered in Canada are refinished or altered because the traditional Colt caliber 45LC is not antique in Canada. The altered guns will not increase in value. If you want a Colt SAA, buy a new one for $1,700, if you want a S&W SA Russian, buy an Uberti for $1,200, great guns, super nice. You will never take an expensive antique in the Bush anyways.

I take my old colt( built around 1891) out the bush all the time, yeah it picks up a little used patina but whatever, its my gun and I like to use it. :D I have others for just lookin at.
I have yet find a new Colt or repro that handles or shoots as nice as this old one. The only other gun that competes with the Colt it is my Remington 1875, it's real sweet, it's all original and I just don't shoot it for fear of breaking parts.

Here is my contribution to show and tell.

colt1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom