Looking to buy my first antique handgun...any advice?

ALL very valid points,and thanks for the advice,I've been watching the EE closely and STARTING to learn abit...Have a LONGGG ways to go yet..I see a lot that have been refinished or altered..besides here on CGN I would not know where to look for a good quality antique in Canada,and looking at some of the values I may have to save up some more money before buying one...as stated by ardent good quality guns go for 5000-20000+ and are still hardpressed to find a real good one then...I'm starting to learn this can be a VERY expensive hobby :p...but like anything,you get what you pay for..I have a few adds posted locally and hoping to come across a good "attic treasure" but I doubt it will happen,ya never know though :)....once again thanks to all for the advice
 
One type of antique pistol that really seems to be appreciating in value is the S&W Schofield. Most of them had their barrels cut down, but if you can get an original that has not been messed with, and in decent condition, you've got something that will appreciate in value, primarily due to its use by the US Cavalry in the Indian wars in the mid 1870's. Price for a decent one that hasn't been messed with will start at around $5,000.
 
One type of antique pistol that really seems to be appreciating in value is the S&W Schofield. Most of them had their barrels cut down, but if you can get an original that has not been messed with, and in decent condition, you've got something that will appreciate in value, primarily due to its use by the US Cavalry in the Indian wars in the mid 1870's. Price for a decent one that hasn't been messed with will start at around $5,000.

Thanks for the advice and the very helpful PM..You have been more then helpful !! :)
 
Win 38-55

Were not a great number of the Schofields professionally shortened after their release by the US Government, and sold to Wells Fargo? I heard that those traced to Wells Fargo have an enhanced collectors value. How about those shortened and sold to the public? I don't think they are considered butchered or anything. I think it was a common practice. I'd appreciate your knowledge on this matter.
 
Grizzlypeg: There were a lot of Schofields that were purchased by Wells Fargo and professionally shortened. I've been told by some expert, high-end collectors of S&W pistols in the US that there are a lot of cut down Schofields out there that have fake Wells Fargo stamps on them, so one must be careful. Original, unmessed with Wells Fargo Schofields do have collectors value, but not like the original, uncut ones do that were used by the US Cavalry and remain unchanged and uncut to this day.
 
Mine has the US Gov't markings (as I guess pretty much 99% had), but was cut down by someone likely after it was released by the government for civillian sales. The S & W letter confirms it was like most, sold to the US Calvary, but after that they can't say which of many firms that purchased the surplus guns had it next.
 
yeah, I dont think there's many schofields left that aren't/weren't cut down. Being that they are so rare to begin with, and have such a great history behind them, Id wager that most of them would still appreciate in value as long as they werent tampered with. From my readings all but about 90 of them were sold to the US cavalry though, so it'd be VERY rare to find one without a US stamping on the heel.
 
Yes the Shortened ones are still very collectable but the orignals like this one i have below thats US marked un cut barrel are more expensive to buy harder to find .
I have two ones almost like new. this one is in great shape to im thinking about if i should sell it or hang onto it for 10 years as they just keep going up in price.
There one of my favorite guns to so that makes it hard, this one has the proper markings on the grips and one grip is dated to with guns ser# under the right grip.


P1010037_95_zps94894149.jpg
 
No need for to be angry

LOL...
Gosh, it appears you didn't understand a single thing I said so there's no point in talking rationally if nobody is listening. I wish you good luck.

Jethunter, your irony showing your unhappiness with the guy not receiving your advise how you would like. No, you're wrong. He does listen, and he does understand. He just doesn't like your tone. You're talking to him like he's kind of mentally retarded small boy. See, number of post doesn't give you automatically right to see everybody else like dummy. Not everybody is commenting on everything and every time. Some people are commenting only if they have to say something of essence. Some people are "know it all". If you have advise, forward it. If you just want to be nasty, forget it. And everybody will love you. :):):)
 
Back
Top Bottom