Webley #### and Reloading data

I wonder if refinishing a mkI or mkII (that needed some tlc from a smith anyway) would hurt the value of one in the Canadian market? Would parking one be a crime?

Unless the gun is pitted to hell and the finish is otherwise irreconcilable I would not bother, the MKs had utilitarian no nonsense trench warfare finishes that honestly did not look all that pretty when they were new. I think all the beauty marks they accumulated tell a story and contribute to the value of a true utilitarian firearm. Personally if I am going to refinish a gun I try to restore it to its original glory( so I would not park). But in the end its your gun do as you see fit.
 
Unless the gun is pitted to hell and the finish is otherwise irreconcilable I would not bother, the MKs had utilitarian no nonsense trench warfare finishes that honestly did not look all that pretty when they were new. I think all the beauty marks they accumulated tell a story and contribute to the value of a true utilitarian firearm. Personally if I am going to refinish a gun I try to restore it to its original glory( so I would not park). But in the end its your gun do as you see fit.

Agreed. I have a 1916 MkVI

Webley%20%26%20book.JPG


which, although it's in very good shape, is certainly utilitarian and probably has a story to tell. If I were ever to pick up a civilian-issue Webley, though, I'd be tempted to have it refinished if it was looking a bit sorry.

:) Stuart
 
..... As to being for "last resort short range contact presumably because your rifle was not available", I believe revolvers were only issued to officers, who wouldn't carry a rifle in any case. .....

.... and ....

Incidentally as a point of interest, handguns were not only issued to commissioned officers and NCOs, but also naval troops, airmen and soldiers who might have awkward/limited access to rifles such as machine gun crews, military police or tank crews. :D

One point of correction - handguns were (and are) commonly carried by commissioned officers ..... but they were not issued to them (in either the British Army or Canadian Militia) until some time after WWI. Officers supplied all of their own uniforms and kit - including weapons - at personal expense.
 
One point of correction - handguns were (and are) commonly carried by commissioned officers ..... but they were not issued to them (in either the British Army or Canadian Militia) until some time after WWI. Officers supplied all of their own uniforms and kit - including weapons - at personal expense.

Thanks for keeping us on the straight and narrow yet again, GrantR.
I must dig out a pic I have somewhere of my maternal grandfather, fully attired in his self-bought kit and ready "to see off the Bosche."

:)
 
Speaking of Webleys and officers' private purchase kit, the 1916-dated Mark VI in my collection was the personal sidearm (and so engraved) of Lt. Samuel William Seago ......

seagoC7_modified_med_zpsd58d3e9f.jpg


Ironically, when I got it several years ago at a gun show, I was so happy to find it (at an excellent price) and so busy checking out bore condition, functioning and that it was all-matching, I didn't even notice the name engraved on the backstrap! On the way home, I was fondling the gun and the guy I was with glanced over from the driver's seat and asked: "What's marked there on the backstrap?"
 
Last edited:
Those numbers from Alliant compare very closely with Quickload data.

Quickload predicts that 4.2 gr of Unique with the 265 gr HB is a max load in th MKII brass. Max pressure for the .455 webley is approximately 12-13K (sorry, I'm not at home or I would reference the proper number). Quickload is using a 15% safety margin to take into account differences in case capacity and other variables in cartridge and chamber geometries.
 
Anyone loading with titegroup? I've found some people recomending it but no load data. I've got a pound so would like to try it.
 
Necro but thank you Apu for this thread and posting your data you collected from all your testing.

Your very welcome, I am glad the information is still useful. I can't believe its very nearly decade since I started this thread. Its a shame many of the pictures have disappeared when my old internet host went defunct.

Well lets just throw in a random pic or my WG just for fun:)

xA8NcZR.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom