Antique guns in the news

^ They didn' give an inch, they made a law and were too stupid to realize that there bad law did not cover and ban everything they'd hoped it would. I own a 44 russian reichrevolver that is completely original. AND I use it in the bush as per the law. I also know a few guys who own ACP'ed webleys and they also use them in the bush as the law allows. Were not gonna sit around with our guns and not use them because we're scared that the antis may realize and try to pass another law banning it. Thats whats already happened and happening more now with every class of gun. Use em or loose em fellas.
 
Unfortunately Pete04 has a point. Scores of original Colt SAAs especially .41's have been pulled apart and reassembled as .38 Specials, .44 Specials, and .45 ACPs. It makes me quite angry. Admittedly, I was one of the clueless when I entered antiques, though thank goodness I never altered one. Have only owned originals and continue to and only in the last couple years have I come to realise how important this is, especially with information I learned of 18 months ago. We're not only pulling apart history we're piece by piece pulling apart one of the few sensible exemptions we enjoy in this hobby.

Never alter your antique to a non-antique, and even non-original chambering, and don't buy an altered gun either. The scary part is there is no way the RCMP will hire a board of antique experts to determine if a gun is original, and many manufacturers kept poor records (aside from Colt, and the obvious like models only offered in one chambering in the antique period), so the legislation will likely be blanketing. A few ruining it for many, they gave an inch we took a mile and we're almost certainly going to suffer for it. Painfully ignorant of us. I can only hope they stop at non-Pre 1898 chamberings.


well said!
 
Unfortunately Pete04 has a point. Scores of original Colt SAAs especially .41's have been pulled apart and reassembled as .38 Specials, .44 Specials, and .45 ACPs. It makes me quite angry. Admittedly, I was one of the clueless when I entered antiques, though thank goodness I never altered one. Have only owned originals and continue to and only in the last couple years have I come to realise how important this is, especially with information I learned of 18 months ago. We're not only pulling apart history we're piece by piece pulling apart one of the few sensible exemptions we enjoy in this hobby.

Never alter your antique to a non-antique, and even non-original chambering, and don't buy an altered gun either. The scary part is there is no way the RCMP will hire a board of antique experts to determine if a gun is original, and many manufacturers kept poor records (aside from Colt, and the obvious like models only offered in one chambering in the antique period), so the legislation will likely be blanketing. A few ruining it for many, they gave an inch we took a mile and we're almost certainly going to suffer for it. Painfully ignorant of us. I can only hope they stop at non-Pre 1898 chamberings.


No need for us to become snivelling wrecks.....:wave:


Several other countries define an antique firearm on the basis of the frame :yingyang: , and only then do some go to calibre (the UK is an example of a calibre-centric group, but they are nuts).


IMHO, we ought to be offended that the RCMP is making such arbitary calibre-based restrictions on us....:mad:...and we ought to look at a cessation of being frightened, and begin to be more proactive and demanding of common sense.....like a rolling " over 100 years ago" to be the definition of being antiques !....cou:
 
So, when can I turn in a >105mm barrel antique and get 12.6?

Only positive I can think of.

nope if they changed it any thing that would meet the prohibited definition cant be brought into the prohibited registry so they would have to be converted with a longer barrel or deactivated or even worse destroyed
 
All this proves, is there are thousands of unregistered handguns in canada that are not used in crimes. I think we should work to have the caliber restriction removed from all pre- 1898 firearms, similiar to the US. Antique should just mean old - not old and certain calibers. Why should one pre 1898 Colt in .44 (44spl) be a prescribed antique, while another pre 1898, Colt in .44 (.44/40) be restricted? Makes less sense than a lot of the silly laws.
 
Which countries would that be cyclone? Many countries don't allow classification of antiques at all. But hey, maybe you know more than most.


I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here :yingyang: , and actually refer people to Wikipedia.....:redface:


Edit: For full disclosure and in my defence :wave: , I have actually back-sourced several entries on that particular Wikipedia page.


NOTE: No offence was intended toward Ardent - none at all !
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they just want to ban everything regardless, same old crap.
Anyways I'v been getting out of antique guns for awhile now, selling them off making a little profit here and there. Don't really care what they think, just sick of dealing with fragile guns that could break at any second and devalue ect.

Have had my fair share of getting burned and mechanical mishaps, I'm sick of it.
 
I think it's time to get local ralleys going too. Where I can see where you guys are coming from, I bought my antique for wilderness defense and you can start the spout about shotgun vs. pistol, but I'll go with what I know. as mentioned earlier, these :bigHug::bigHug::bigHug::bigHug::bigHug::bigHug::bigHug:s won't be happy until all guns are banned. Why? Well I'll tell you, because they honestly believe, when the commies do finally take over and they do think it'll come, they think they're going to be immune to the bullet in the base of the skull at the edge of the ditch...Because they are the useful idiots.
 
Gents, I think we can all agree that this article drew the line clearly that nothing is safe from their attempts at gun grabbing. No matter if you collect converted, original, or relic they're all at risk unless they've been "properly" devalued by having them made dewat :rolleyes:. I don't care if it's a converted antique, an original, a relic or a dewat to continue enjoying the hobby we as firearms and antique owners must stand together. Don't start dividing at the first sign of things to come, it may get worse yet as this portion of the hobby may draw some gun grabbing fire.

Make no mistake they've learned from the lessons of the past and this time they're after everything;

Loopholes allow (some) 10-round magazines in (some) semi-automatic rifles

Canada’s gun control system has failed to keep up with a changing arms industry

Global news has brought the Tavor into light.

.50-calibre rifles are non-restricted here

Now I'm sure that some of us might be more emotionally or financially invested in antiques than any modern non-restricted, restricted, or prohibited firearm but if anything the article in the OP combined with the links I've posted goes to show that they've learned their lessons and this time aren't stopping for anything.

Stand together gents, it's the only hope we have to continue enjoying what we love to do, and have legally done so without causing any harm or committing any crimes.

Just my opinion.
 
Gents, I think we can all agree that this article drew the line clearly that nothing is safe from their attempts at gun grabbing. No matter if you collect converted, original, or relic they're all at risk unless they've been "properly" devalued by having them made dewat :rolleyes:. I don't care if it's a converted antique, an original, a relic or a dewat to continue enjoying the hobby we as firearms and antique owners must stand together. Don't start dividing at the first sign of things to come, it may get worse yet as this portion of the hobby may draw some gun grabbing fire.

Make no mistake they've learned from the lessons of the past and this time they're after everything;

Loopholes allow (some) 10-round magazines in (some) semi-automatic rifles

Canada’s gun control system has failed to keep up with a changing arms industry

Global news has brought the Tavor into light.

.50-calibre rifles are non-restricted here

Now I'm sure that some of us might be more emotionally or financially invested in antiques than any modern non-restricted, restricted, or prohibited firearm but if anything the article in the OP combined with the links I've posted goes to show that they've learned their lessons and this time aren't stopping for anything.

Stand together gents, it's the only hope we have to continue enjoying what we love to do, and have legally done so without causing any harm or committing any crimes.

Just my opinion.


Agreed in full....:cheers:
 
I just think you may have a better argument to defend having/using an "unregulated" Antique firearm (as windy is making a point of pointing out as part of the anti witch hunt) if the gun is in the "original" Antique calibre/cartridge.
I also think having/using Antiques the way we have up until now is rapidly coming to a close if we cannot defend it.
"Modern" ammo in antiques will not help in the coming fight. IMHO
 
I just think you may have a better argument to defend having/using an "unregulated" Antique firearm (as windy is making a point of pointing out as part of the anti witch hunt) if the gun is in the "original" Antique calibre/cartridge.
I also think having/using Antiques the way we have up until now is rapidly coming to a close if we cannot defend it.
"Modern" ammo in antiques will not help in the coming fight. IMHO

There is no arguing, there is no reasoning, there is compromise with these people. Some believe in what they do and will not listen to any logical debate you pose, and others are profiting from the views against firearms and can't change their public stance even if they happen to own a firearm themselves.

Even if there was no such thing as a converted antique it can be argued that they can be "readily converted" like the argument posed with modern rifles. When logic says that to convert most antiques takes a machine shop with lots of prior knowledge and there is no such thing as readily converting.

It's fine to be a purist of the hobby, I support your choice in doing so. I do have to point out that being divisive on any debate as a community or blaming one group or the other will get us nowhere. In any coming debate that may be had over antiques all collectors and shooters of antiques (and all types and class of firearms) must stand together.

Just remember some that enjoy this hobby only do so for the availability to shoot responsibly off of an approved range and enjoy a little bit of freedom. If the law changes for that crowd in this debate you can bet they will be less likely to support "pure unaltered" antique laws if they happen to be next on the list. Stand together even if you don't support that type of antique and you'll have a friend in the debate with the "converted" collector. We all need as many friends as we can get ;).
 
Last edited:
Only in the rediculous world of firearms would something invented 105 years ago be considered "modern". Face it guys, rechambering antiques to 45ACP was widespread during WW1 & WW2, Colt and Christy's rechambered lots of antique guns in the 50's & 60's to 44 special when single actions became popular again. Cartridge conversions were done by both Colt and Remington in the 1860's & 70's?? Trying to imply all antiques should be 100% original is unworkable.

The caliber list was designed to make all shootable antiques restricted, period. Anyone who believes that certain calibers were left for people to enjoy, is a fool. Who says a cartridge from 1907 is "not antique"? Making this determination is based on obsolecence not age and the premise is antiques should be restricted if they can be operational. It is the same position as those who made the list, think about it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom