My new Snider project finished photos page 4

cool i will have to make one of those tanks to clean the outside of guns and other parts gun and not gun related for bores so far ive just pl;uged one end filed it up tape around the muzzle end and then connect it to the battery
 
K folks, got a couple of pics.

Bore before:
633DD706-E1B2-4806-AEAA-BD07EC47F9FC-3288-00000A7A082B2EB3.jpg


After:
Notice the shine in the first 2 feet or so. Still rough at the last 4-6" but I'll shoot it before I do any lapping/polishing.
7236FB43-A6E5-49F5-AC8D-92921933DD0F-735-0000036CAFB81B88.jpg


Here's the stock, wet down with some water to show the repairs better.

This break was running right across the left side of the gun.
D21CD4D5-990E-4916-B827-C7E5653E640C-735-0000036EC8012920.jpg


Here the right side above the lock was repaired previous but was coming apart so I epoxied and pinned it back together. Also the area next to that where the rear pillar is was broken. I expoxied that piece back in and it's seamless and very strong now.
DBDAAE32-AEB3-4696-A30F-A60D9EAB690D-735-0000036CDFB38567.jpg


Here's the bottom with 2 cracks that run on either side of the trigger group. The hole on the bottom right is where a headless brass screw was inserted in a previous repair. I drilled the center of the screw and used a small left hand threaded tap to remove it.
EF9F21C1-CE99-4F43-99E9-DB0C7B87E7BC-735-0000036CD80CB0E1.jpg


I'm pretty happy with the outcome thus far. Once I removed the screw the whole stock fell apart in 2 pieces. So this is progress as far as I'm concerned!

I will post more pics as soon as I get some more progress to report.
 
I'm pretty happy with the outcome thus far. Once I removed the screw the whole stock fell apart in 2 pieces. So this is progress as far as I'm concerned!

this is how everything happens touch it and it falls appart this happened on my latest martini although it was a small chip and was held down by the old grease not until i cleaned the stock did it fall off
 
As a heads up Tinman 204- If you are looking for a replacement barrel to shoot in vg condition, go to Joe Salters Canadian site and item # 22244 is a Snider Mk11** barrel and receiver. It may save the origional and you have a shooter IMHO.
LocknLoad.
PS- I don't know if what I'm saying is allowed or not- if not please delete.
 
Love it Steve, full wood no less.
Absolutely beautiful!
Janice

Thankyou Janice, and don't worry YOU WILL get to shoot it this summer. Probably will not even fire it til the virden shoot. If that's how it works out, you can be the first one to fire it if you want!!

I look after those who have been good to me, can't think of a better way to say thanks to you and George for all of the help then giving you the honor of putting the first round through it.
 
What did you use for epoxy just the 2 part stuff that come in to tubes hooked together ?
 
After a couple months of tinkering I got the old girl finished and ready to fire.

The last step was done Thursday night, I made a firing pin so the old girl could be rendered operable again.

Here's some pics of the finished product. Thankyou to all that helped me out with info and resto techniques.

798D8031-E8AB-420A-B388-3DBA8B1C4F17-1252-000002E90A11D7FB.jpg


7DA133E5-15C0-4FC7-AB2C-8196208176EB-1252-000002E8ED451DD4.jpg


The stock was in rough shape with a break right through under the receiver and basically I had to break the stock in 2 so I could clean an epoxy the area with greater certainty that it would hold. I started by cleaning the stock, then I put it into a plastic bag with a cup full of water and left it in the sun for several days. The stock rehydrated quite nicely and then I applied 10 coats of linseed oil.

659319B6-0971-4DC0-A8D4-32DE97E148D8-1252-000002E8FE9B96CD-1.jpg


Here's a picture of the break, it's the line running over top of the front lock screw on the left of the picture. I spent many nights scratching my head thinking about the best way to fix the stock. I ended up expoxying it together and then inserting pins from the bottom. It's rock solid now, when I finished I twisted the stock as hard as I could and I couldn't break it so I'm guessing its good!

73849C68-2B26-452F-A796-FE49245482B9-1252-000002E915578D5A.jpg


D21CD4D5-990E-4916-B827-C7E5653E640C-735-0000036EC8012920.jpg


The bore was a sewer pipe when I got it. I put it in an electrolysis tank and let it work it's magic.

8489F595-2BF7-4539-9D6B-B9808EC5F7B2-735-0000033DE746FE95.jpg


Here's a pic of when I got it and then after the first 4 hour treatment.

4E6D1F2E-9558-4593-BF65-8160AA28107B-735-0000033DFEE2D1D6.jpg


670AACEF-57E0-4C6B-8784-A3FAE329E4D4-735-0000033E0E97B581.jpg


And the final product, it's not perfect but there's lots of shine now!!

7236FB43-A6E5-49F5-AC8D-92921933DD0F-735-0000036CAFB81B88.jpg


I enjoyed this project so much that I think I may have to do another, perhaps a martini or Zulu that is in need of some love!
 
Nice work, very well done on the stock repair.


I had noted your electrolysis efforts from your earlier post and recently tried the same on an antique Marlin "Baby" carbine I picked up, the results were impressive. So much more effective than scrubbing.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll agree that electrolysis is the easiest way to clean a rusty gun, especially if you hate scrubbing. I still haven fired the old girl yet but I'll have to change that soon!
 
Nice work, Steve. REALLY nice work.

You may now put "SoS" after your name: "Saviour of Sniders"!

You have earned it..... and you have the proof!

Just don't do a BALLARD next; that might make you an "SoB"!!! LOL!
 
Nice work, Steve. REALLY nice work.

You may now put "SoS" after your name: "Saviour of Sniders"!

You have earned it..... and you have the proof!

Just don't do a BALLARD next; that might make you an "SoB"!!! LOL!

I think I need to get cards made that read : Tinman204 savior of turd rifles

I must say that I love fixing guns that are referred to as "wall hangers". I figure I have nothing to loose, I'll either fix it or I won't. I think the wrist repair of my brother's $50 carcano was way more involved. I learned a lot on this resto and with each one I've done I've learned better ways to do repairs so they look seamless when I'm finished.

Who knows what I'll find next that needs "a savior"?

Steve
 
Back
Top Bottom