North Star
Regular
- Location
- British Columbia
I looking for a new, maybe used muzzleloader to start off with. Want to shoot only PRB's.
Went to Wholesale Sports to see 3 new Lyman's: 2 GPR's and 1 Trade rifle. The fit and finish was very disappointing (countersunk top tang, wedge pins don't line up, vent liners at the far edge of pan, gaps between wood & metal). Pointed it out to the clerk but they will still sell them regardless. I would've sent them right back. Is this to be expected of Lyman ?
The few used muzzleloaders I've seen in person looked good on the outside but the bores had rust/pitting. I'm hesitant about buying any used muzzleloader on EE, can't inspect in person.
The muzzle may look great but towards the breech might be rust/pitting. Since I can't be there to inspect, I always ask for pictures of the lock, barrel removed from stock, nipple area, etc...
Dropping a little bore light down to the breech and running a patch over jag down to the bottom is the only way. Some sellers will send me a picture in poor lighting of the muzzle & exterior,
saying "it's in good condition"
New rifles I'm thinking of are Lyman Trade Rifle .54 cal 1/48", Traditions Kentucky .50 cal 1/66"
Used rifles: TC Hawken/Renegade 1/48", maybe CVA Mountain Rifle 1/72"
looking for opinions on the above rifles.
Went to Wholesale Sports to see 3 new Lyman's: 2 GPR's and 1 Trade rifle. The fit and finish was very disappointing (countersunk top tang, wedge pins don't line up, vent liners at the far edge of pan, gaps between wood & metal). Pointed it out to the clerk but they will still sell them regardless. I would've sent them right back. Is this to be expected of Lyman ?
The few used muzzleloaders I've seen in person looked good on the outside but the bores had rust/pitting. I'm hesitant about buying any used muzzleloader on EE, can't inspect in person.
The muzzle may look great but towards the breech might be rust/pitting. Since I can't be there to inspect, I always ask for pictures of the lock, barrel removed from stock, nipple area, etc...
Dropping a little bore light down to the breech and running a patch over jag down to the bottom is the only way. Some sellers will send me a picture in poor lighting of the muzzle & exterior,
saying "it's in good condition"

New rifles I'm thinking of are Lyman Trade Rifle .54 cal 1/48", Traditions Kentucky .50 cal 1/66"
Used rifles: TC Hawken/Renegade 1/48", maybe CVA Mountain Rifle 1/72"
looking for opinions on the above rifles.
Last edited:


















































