Yeah I was pretty sure I did my homework on that one... I'm not one to take chances. Nobody is going to see it unless they take a good hike in the bush on my private property anyway.
"...no idea whether a reblue would lessen its value greatly or not..." It'd drop the value by at least half.
"...plinking on my 100 acre woodlot..." That'd get you arrested and you'd lose all of your firearms. The same rules apply to shootable antiques as non-antiques. Other than not needing a licence.
Ever roll with folks that own Model 'T's or 'A's?
Funny thing is they don't roll with worn out engines, tires or fenders haywired on.
They get them restored to how they looked & worked in the day. Not brand new looking necessarily, but nice to drive.
If you plan on shooting it, do as you wish with it.
Myself; I'd do some research and get it redone to period blued appearance.
As for being labeled a Pariah...anyone who does so isn't worth listening to IMO.
And stay away from BP subs if you can; hard to predict the outcome with period pieces. Go with BP if you can
NB_GSXR;9220394 [QUOTE said:I think I'll heed the general consensus and leave it alone. Now that I cleaned and lubed it the patina is growing on me. .
I don't know if it would have had enough hammer power to even fire a primer in that configuration, perhaps why it doesn't appear to have been shot a whole lot LOL
"...plinking on my 100 acre woodlot..." That'd get you arrested and you'd lose all of your firearms. The same rules apply to shootable antiques as non-antiques. Other than not needing a licence.
Would you please stop posting incorrect info?
I wouldn't take her apart, take the side plate off gently, clean her up as best you can. I just use 3 in 1, rags, bore brush, tooth brush and Q-tips, and then once the gun is cleaned up, no grit, bp residues ect. anywhere that I can get at. Then it gets a coat of fluid film inside and out for preservation.
If the gun is working well right now, don't risk losing or breaking any parts or springs.
He doesn't know how to do any different. It's scary actually!
There's gotta be a rule against that.... Newbies I can accept, but 18000 posts with 15000 wrong answers it a complete PITA.



























