NEW ANTIQUE FRT CHANGES and Addendum to altered cartridges handguns

As the FRTs (and the whole system for that matter) are so screwed up, I think the only long term solution is to push for across the board pre-1899 rule for antiques (like the US). Push it to the politicians as BP vs smokeless transition and alignment with accepted US policy.

I will speak with my MP when I see him next.

Remind the MP how much money this move would save too, the US government has been collecting data on the 1899 antique cutoff since 1968 and the techs can't use any of it because Canada goes by 1898. That one year has cost cdn taxpayers millions in tech costs to document 1898 and the data is incomplete and the tab is still running
 
They are using the wording Designed or adapted to shoot any of the no go cartridges . Especially the designed part now they are trying to say that means what it was "originally designed "for but no where in the law does it say this . If you change a caliber from 44-40 to 44 Russian it is no longer designed to shoot 44-40 and there for should be antique as its now designed to shoot 44 russian . They are playing with the wording . But no where does it say" originally designed "for .
 
Last edited:
They are using the wording Designed or adapted to shoot any of the no go cartridges . Especially the designed part now they are trying to say that means what it was "originally designed "for but no where in the law does it say this . If you change a caliber from 44-40 to 44 Russian it is no longer designed to shoot 44-40 and there for should be antique as its now designed to shoot 44 russian . They are playing with the wording . But no where does it say" originally designed "for .

Thats true ^ thats how there geting away with turning down the pre 1898 SAA colts in Canada that are registered when guys are makeing them into antiques by cartridge change to No list cartridges.
Its B.S they should still have to deregister any pre 1898 SAA Colt that is turned from 45 colt to 45 acp or 44 40 to 44 russian.
 
Last edited:
Can a 44 Spcl be retro'd to 44 Russian only? Think I read about using a 357 cylinder?

If you currently have one in country (antique lettered or not) don't do anything with it yet. If you retro it to 44 russ and it's originally a .45colt then the SFSS do not consider it antique. This doesn't mean it's not by law antique, as in fact it is by law antique and has been since 1998.

If anything I'd suggest a factory letter above retroing it at this moment, you could be pleasantly surprised. Even if the factory letter in this case shows no original caliber that works in your favour as they consider that antique by the new policy. Wonderful isn't it, that lack of proof constitutes as valid proof by this new policy?

Joint the letter writing campaign, and bump this thread to get some attention to the cause.
 
Last edited:
Up date: Spoke to the Verifiers network this morning .Was told this is more of a policy change and not a change to the law .Was told they still may issue an antique letter but its on an individual basis .
 
20 more emails just sent and equal amount of letters printed ready for mail
I sure hope everyone is doing this…..especially the mailing of letters…….
 
Thats true ^ thats how there geting away with turning down the pre 1898 SAA colts in Canada that are registered when guys are makeing them into antiques by cartridge change to No list cartridges.
Its B.S they should still have to deregister any pre 1898 SAA Colt that is turned from 45 colt to 45 acp or 44 40 to 44 russian.

Is it that easy to tell original Cartridge vs Calibre. The Colt factory letter I have seen only says calibre ie. 44 Calibre, which could be 44 Russian - they made Colt 1873 in 44 Russian so how could the stop a 44 Special from coming into country if colt only confirms it was in a calibre of 44?
 
Is it that easy to tell original Cartridge vs Calibre. The Colt factory letter I have seen only says calibre ie. 44 Calibre, which could be 44 Russian - they made Colt 1873 in 44 Russian so how could the stop a 44 Special from coming into country if colt only confirms it was in a calibre of 44?

I think in your case they would have to letter it are you sure it dont say 44 40 or 44 win if it only says 44 and ALOT do then your right it could be 44 russian its very unlikely but your right CFC cant prove its not.
I think you would get the letter. Tho im only guessing as i cant see your letter.
Better still use that factory letter but import it as a 44 its not a lie as a 44 sp chamber shoots 44 russian as well.
i shoot 44 russian in my 44 sp chambered saa colts all the time Just make certin the cylinder is not a 44 40.
If you wanted a rcmp letter tho i think they would have to give you one.
Its worth a try anyway.
Even if its imported as 44 sp it could have been a 44 russian and the chamber reamed to 44 sp which is aok going by there own new policy as 44 russian is a pre 1898 cartridge.
 
Last edited:
sullivanlaw6477.jpg
 
I have been continuing to send letters each day, I am writing them by hand -in the hopes that this might convince them I am serious.
I hope everyone is doing so as well.(The sending letters part- not necessarily the by hand part)
janice
 
My meeting with my MP Lake Mike is on March 21st. With the help of other CGN members I will bring a package outlining our concerns and the history of abuses of law abiding firearms owners through the use of bill C68 and what we need to see changed.

Steve
 
I was thinking that this may be the best time to push for the same antique definition as the US, standardizing things on both sides of the border and avoiding wasteful bureaucratic messes like the latest interpretive move by the RCMP.
 
I was thinking that this may be the best time to push for the same antique definition as the US, standardizing things on both sides of the border and avoiding wasteful bureaucratic messes like the latest interpretive move by the RCMP.

Yes. If changes are going to be made in order to fix the Swiss and CZ858 mess antiques owners need to speak up or be left out in the cold. Worse yet if you don't speak up now and the firearms act gets amended or redrafted the regulations for antiques could become worse.

Snippet taken from the letter writing campaign;

"With this redraft of the Firearms Act I respectfully request that you change the law governing antique firearms. I request that you change the law to include all firearms manufactured prior to 1899, of any caliber, of any action, and to include features such as internal or detachable magazines into antique status."

Feel free to use that in your letters.
 
This is a coordinated action by the RCMP to separate a CPC loyal voting block in time for the election. They are using their regulatory power to steal an election from the Canadian people. This way they get the Liberals in and watch it happen.

Now I'm no Liberal supporter by any means, but I don't agree with this statement. The RCMP is an entity unto itself, historically conservative just like the local police forces and the military, but as far as they're concerned the fewer guns out there the easier it is to do their jobs - full stop. It's about reducing the overall number of guns, and antique-status firearms are low-hanging fruit.
 
Back
Top Bottom