Tannerite

Where's the english translation to the Quebec regs? In BC we are required to have complete french translations of everything, just in case one of the 12 francophones in the province wanders in. Is Quebec the only Non-bilingual province in Canada?

Do what I did, install Google Translate to your browser; one click and BAM! You've soured the language plot!

lol. My club just spent a lot of money to rebuild the 25 & 50 yard berms as they were worn down by the weather and didn't pass the height requirements on the last CFO inspection. I could just imagine the grief that a couple boneheads with a case of tannerite might cause.

I don't come to this forum often so i don't know if it has already been addressed but as far as i know these targets are illegal in Quebec because Quebec has its own explosives act.

http://www.suretequebec.gouv.qc.ca/services-en-ligne/explosifs/explosifs.jsp

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=3&file=/E_22/E22R1.htm

That act refers to the Explosives and Dangerous Goods Act lists of controlled explosive compounds; of which Tannerite has been removed from. I do not see "tannerite" in that list; however I am unaware of a translation and google has been unable to help me there. If you know the compound specified in the doc you linked that prohibits the use of Tannerite, please share.

That said, I've some doubts about dropping money on something I can easily see the CFO's getting knickers in a knot over already.

Hi John,
Any chance of the rimfire stuff? I think it's called Tannerite Goliath ? I see it every time I'm in the US at gander mountain but am unsure if I can just bring it in or not. Would rather buy from a Canadian company.

i have seen an english version of the law but it was only one section and it didn't have any useful information just the part of the law about licenses and stuff. I was unable to find the rest of it but i am sure it exist in some legal database.

Ontario's CFO has just issued a memorandum:

The Chief Firearms Office does not approve the use of explosive targets. This also includes tannerite

Sorry about that.

Yawn, why would that interest me? I could care less about what the ont cfo's opinion is..

That act refers to the Explosives and Dangerous Goods Act lists of controlled explosive compounds; of which Tannerite has been removed from. I do not see "tannerite" in that list; however I am unaware of a translation and google has been unable to help me there. If you know the compound specified in the doc you linked that prohibits the use of Tannerite, please share.

Tannernite is a brand name and not a chemical composition. The wiki page for tannernite states that "The oxidizer is a mixture of 85% 200-mesh ammonium nitrate and 0–15% ammonium perchlorate, while the catalyst is a mixture of 90% 600-mesh dark flake aluminium powder, 5% 325-mesh titanium sponge and 5% 200-mesh zirconium hydroxide." and annex 1 (list of explosives) of the Quebec explosives act lists "Ammonium, mélanges explosifs à base de perchlorate d'ammonium" and later on "Chlorate d'ammonium"

The next sentence in the Wikipedia article states that "Simpler mixtures of ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder often named as ammonal are also known to work." and the act also list "Ammonals ou minols"
Thus I came to the conclusion that both brand name Tannernite as well as AN-AL ;) mixtures are illegal in Quebec. I asked North Pro Sports about this when they posted on /r/canadaguns about a binary target presale. They said they would check into that but it has been 10 days with no reply. I am not a lawyer and my knowledge of French is functional but definitely not enough to feel at ease with French legalese so there is a good chance I could be wrong about this. As it stands I would not take the risk of owing, storing, transporting, or using these targets in Quebec. I hope I am wrong about this tannernite, seems like a lot of fun.

Ontario's CFO has just issued a memorandum:

The Chief Firearms Office does not approve the use of explosive targets. This also includes tannerite

Sorry about that.

Does not approve doesn't say can't...

I don't get it... What is the point of this stuff? U shoot it and it explodes?

Hopefully the media doesn't catch wind of this stuff... Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

The media , like the whole special effects production people are well aware of the amazing visual effects this stuff has.

lol. My club just spent a lot of money to rebuild the 25 & 50 yard berms as they were worn down by the weather and didn't pass the height requirements on the last CFO inspection. I could just imagine the grief that a couple boneheads with a case of tannerite might cause.

Probably less than the damage that could be caused by one idiot with a shovel.

Explosions that happen in air or on the surface don't do much to the surface itself because the explosion can escape outwards.

For folks wanting to use it at Victoria Fish & Game on the Island.....ferget it. The anal range nazi's won't let
'er fly....especially during the summer Fire Season. They also ban the use of steel core milsurp ammo because
of hot cores setting fires in the grass behind the target butts.:(

Back
Top Bottom