Norc CQ-A (M4) 5.56mm My 1st AR type rifle

Huntsman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Well I took advantage of their $529 sale and what arrived in my mail yesterday, Friday May 15th was a better than expected Chinese copy of the Colt M4 carbine.
I spent a good hour or so wiping off the preserving oil that coated the surface. Norinco has their way or idea of converting a 30rnd mag to Canada gun law 5 round.
The bolt carrier rides a little rough as compared to US built AR's but I'm sure that will smoothen out with use and/or some elbow grease.
So anyways, I am sure other CQ-A owners can share the same or other opinions from experiences. I hope to get out and put a few mags thru it. I picked up some AE 55gr ammo and Magpul mags and just recently some LR15 mags.
Overall, I'm impressed. After reading the many horror stories others have shared I hope I am not one of them. Yes there are some rough spots, black paint run-off and the odd tool mark. I must say though, after handling a CQ311 years ago this one feels better made with a little more quality control.
Here's some pics;

Last edited:
Congrats on the new toy! I love mine. Few pointers, the mags that come with it are pretty much useless, so it is a good thing you picked up some others. The sling that comes with them is a mystery, although there are some that have figured it out (if I recall correctly it is based on an HK style sling), however I picked up a single point for mine. And lastly, initially mine had problems ejecting spend casings, as in it would get caught up in the receiver/bolt on every single round, so all I did to fix this was install the $20 BCM Extractor Upgrade Kit. Now it runs like a top. Great little firearms for the money. Other than that enjoy and blast away!

Congrats, it was my first ar aswel. Still own mine manny thousand rounds of equally cheap Norc and AE ammo later not one issue with the gun

omg that mag :0

the rest looks fine.. esp for the money. If you plan to shoot the pi$$ out of your AR and you realize the service life of the barrel (and other parts?) is 6000 rounds you have to do some thinking about the actual need for a $400+ barrel let alone a $1500+ gun. I think these things are great value for what they are.. shooters. Same as the m14 copies.

Not that you don't have a fantastic rifle if You buy a DD or whatever.. but I like to shoot my guns and I would end up 'babying' something like that :) The Norc AR is the same price or less than a thousand rounds of quality ammo for it

happy shooting

Our next Service Rifle League shoot at CHAS will be the 14th of June. You will need 40 rounds and at least 2 5 round mags.

See you there.

Scott

Canadian Historical Arms Society
Service Rifle and Pistol League

14 June Service Rifle/Service Pistol
12 July Service Rifle/Service Pistol
09 August NRA Larger Bore 200m
13 September Sniper Rifle/Service Pistol
11 October NRA Large Bore 200m
08 November Sniper Rifle

Matches begin at 12 noon, match fee $5.00 for C.H.A.S. Gun Club Members
Non members pay an additional $ 20.00 day pass
For more information please email srpl4gm@gmail.com
Phone 780-885 9845

Service Rifle and NRA Large Bore rifle = any military rifle (or civilian version) from any country from any time period.
(Optics up to a max of 4 power magnification allowed)
Service pistol = any military pistol revolver (or civilian copy) from any time period from any country
Sniper Rifle = any rifle any sight within caliber restrictions of the range

Course of fire for Service Rifle match
300m
5 rounds sitting, 3 minutes
5 rounds sitting snap, 1 round for each 5 second exposure
5 rounds Prone, 3 minutes
5 rounds Prone snap, 1 round for each 5 second exposure
200m
10 rounds prone rapid in 30 seconds, (2 magazines)
5 rounds prone snap, 1 round for each 3 seconds exposure
5 rounds sitting snap, 1 round for each 3 second exposure

Congrads! Now you just need a LAR mag( 10rbds) or a .50 Beowulf mag (15rnds) and maybe a scope if your eyes are bad like mine and you're set. I had a a sticky bolt once and a while when it was new but other than that she's a gem. I now have a .22 and 7.62x39 uppers I run on it as well. I too have been shooting Norinco ammo with no issues.

I got the "crappy mag" issue covered ;) I picked up a few spares for The Shootist in St Albert and did a deal from a fellow CGN yesterday on the LAR mags and 620 rounds of ammo yesterday.

Hey Scott,
Too wet for Smoky Lake this weekend? See ya next time around lol
Cheers & keep on truck'n,

Jamie

Nice......maybe you want to hide your name and home address on the box.;)

Ahh thanks. That would give the new Alberta NDP and edge and try to steal it before a criminal does ;)

*Removed*

To add- I edited my pics on Photobucket to block the Ser# but to me it looks like they still show. Should that make a difference? I see lots of pics with guys covering up the Ser#. Just figured I'd follow suit.
Its registered to me anyways...

Sling: ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=o45zfcFsBhE
ht tp://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-reference-library/149945-hk-3-point-sling.html#post1117514
14302_1.jpg
14302_2.jpg

14302_4.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of these about 18 months ago, and frankly they are a fun rifle to say the least.
Not a single hiccup with any of the mags - from Norc to LAR, though it'd be nice if someone would clarify the .50 Beowulf 15 round comment.
I presume it's the same circumstance as the 10 rd LAR mags usage in an AR.

I traded a 25 year old Colt AR15-2 for a new non-restricted rifle a month after the Sandy Hook shooting figuring there would be a major knee jerk reaction by the government (like the 4 inch barrel change from restricted to prohibited) and I'd lose whatever value the Colt would have had in it.
Anyway, after a year of waiting for the legal shoe to drop, I re-thought the idea of owning an AR and went looking for something reasonably priced to fill that void.
Thus I bought the Norc CQA and frankly, it shoots as well as the old Colt did.
Not a single failure, not a single problem and that is more then I can say for the older Colt I had.

Bottom line, I figured it's far better be one of an ever growing list of restricted AR-15 (and clones) owners on the registry then the alternative.
Will I put 6000 rounds through it...nope...but I will continue to have fun shooting it at the range as time and opportunity permits.

though it'd be nice if someone would clarify the .50 Beowulf 15 round comment.
I presume it's the same circumstance as the 10 rd LAR mags usage in an AR.

you got it.

excellent choice OP, cheap and cheerful is how I feel about my nork.
I used to snob cheap guns, now it has a solid place in my safe, it's a nice feeling that I can actually use my AR hard without worrying about dents or scratches at all.
I'd like touch on the BCG roughness quickly, yes the Chinese BCG is a little rough, and no it does not smooth out over time due to aluminum receiver cannot smooth out the tough steel surface,
not for 2k rds on mine atleast, it will not affect the gun's function of course, but it was a little annoying to me so I bought a stripped USA made BCG off EE from Armtac's sale for $75, the Norc bolt fits in nicely, smooth as butter now with a bit of motor oil added.
I kept the original as spare but doubt I will ever need it.

Last edited:
Hey, don't know much about the Beowulf. 15 rounds mag that'll shoot 223/556? Please educate me.

Cheers

Press Check Ventures .50 Beowulf Black Magazine, PCV-50 (GEN2) is a mag original intended for 5 rounds of .50 cal. ammo. Instead you stuff it full of .223 (15rounds) the last round is tight. I bought mine from Bulls Eye, one of the vendors here.

UPDATE
(Was just reading a thread here where someone claims the Beowulf is prohib for .223 according to RCMP.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom