Long term metal protection experiment follow up

I have guns in my safe that are seldom used. I'm looking for a spray on product that will offer corrosion protection but won't be greasy and require clearing if I want to use or handle a gun. Any recommendations?

At this point I'd recommend Ballistol, but let's see how the tests go.

Would also strongly recommend silicon treated gun socks for all your guns! Silicon will absorb the moisture and sock will prevent bumps, bruises and scratches when moving them in/out of your gun safe and allow you to get more in there without damage concerns.

Hi
If you're still open to trial products, and since I went away from WD40 years ago to Jig-A-Loo, any chance of trying Jig-A-Loo? Crown rust proofing also sells their product by the can, but it is somewhat messy.

Very interesting trial, thank you for doing it. I'll get my brother in the machinery fabrication and steel business to read it and see what they use.

I'd like to see Daubrite 10 in the test.
Brownells sells it to prevent rust in a sealed container. As it's vapor emited it must be more effective to reach hidden corners and every surface.

On the list using 4mil stretch film and Unocal (formerly Union76, it was late) RedTac grease because a) I have some and b) the stuff is a super sticky high adhesive NLGI (wheel bearing rated) with awesome characteristics that is also very common and easy to get.

Thanks for doing this! (Turning into a full time job now lol)

Hi
If you're still open to trial products, and since I went away from WD40 years ago to Jig-A-Loo, any chance of trying Jig-A-Loo? Crown rust proofing also sells their product by the can, but it is somewhat messy.

Very interesting trial, thank you for doing it. I'll get my brother in the machinery fabrication and steel business to read it and see what they use.

Arrange to get me a 1/2 oz or so and yes, I will include it.

Can you try one without any coating, but include 1 or more desiccants packet? It would be interesting to see if humidity comes from the outside after you've sealed the piece or if it's been trapped in it during the sealing process.

An alternative is an oxygen absorber packet. Works the same way as a desiccant, but it absorbs oxygen instead of humidity. Since rust is a reaction between oxygen and iron, taking away all or most oxygen might keep the whole thing from rusting without any coating. Your kleen-flo coating probably blocks oxygen while the other oil-based coating probably block only humidity from touching the iron (except wd40, that thing blocks nothing at all).

If you have some iron pieces left, maybe try using both in one package.

Both are available on amazon.ca.

desiccant: https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Packs-Silica-Desiccants-Packets-Grams/dp/B003DKQB02
oxy-sorb: https://www.amazon.ca/Oxy-Sorb-Oxygen-Absorbers-Food-Storage/dp/B0028AG8RO

Both are 100% safe, used in the food industry.

Can you try one without any coating, but include 1 or more desiccants packet? It would be interesting to see if humidity comes from the outside after you've sealed the piece or if it's been trapped in it during the sealing process.

An alternative is an oxygen absorber packet. Works the same way as a desiccant, but it absorbs oxygen instead of humidity. Since rust is a reaction between oxygen and iron, taking away all or most oxygen might keep the whole thing from rusting without any coating. Your kleen-flo coating probably blocks oxygen while the other oil-based coating probably block only humidity from touching the iron (except wd40, that thing blocks nothing at all).
If you have some iron pieces left, maybe try using both in one package.

Both are available on amazon.ca.

desiccant: https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Packs-Silica-Desiccants-Packets-Grams/dp/B003DKQB02
oxy-sorb: https://www.amazon.ca/Oxy-Sorb-Oxygen-Absorbers-Food-Storage/dp/B0028AG8RO

Both are 100% safe, used in the food industry.

Have heard of all of them but in the interests of consistency, I'm not going use Mylar, oxygen absorbers or desiccants for this trial.

Any suggestions on these products on a blued gun? Truthfully none of us with be long term storing a piece of bare metal.

Is the inside of your barrel blued?

I bet Fluid film would win most tests, something I didn't realize:
"Today, FLUID FILM has probed the depths of the sea and space, being effectively utilized by nuclear submarines to its exclusive use on the space shuttle."

Will you be trying anything like grease?

I see you did the vaseline, but if you're going for long term storage, will you try a heavy axle grease?

I have used AMSoil salt resistant blue heavy axle grease, but have never buried it to check efficiency or efficacy.

2 kinds of grease so far, Power Punch and Unocal RedTac, both are NLGI rated for wheel bearings and extremely sticky high adhesive greases.

Back
Top Bottom