Rhineland Enfield and Mauser Conversions to .45 ACP

Based on the instructions, it shouldn't be any harder than rebarreling a savage. The hardest part is probably getting the old barrel off the action without breaking something.

Easy peezy when ye use a lathe fitted with a parting blade to cut a shallow 3/16" deep trough around the barrel just ahead of the receiver to relieve the tension between the two parts. (0.015 -0.025" works good.) I then clamp the receiver in the vice (Padded with brass plates) and then undo the barrel using an antique
hydrant wrench. Pipe wrench works fine as well.

It's great to see these adapter kits out in numbers again thanks to the good folks at Wolverine. :) Lots of fun to be had with the .45 ACP in a hefty little carbine.
Tis' like shootin' a big pellet rifle, but one that dumps deer neatly enough inside 80 yds with hardcast boolits. A riot to use on grey squirrels, gophers & racoons
to boot.

Dang, now I'm gettin' the urge to do up an LE in .50 AE as a single shot to add to the fun. :runaway:

Last edited:
I don't think that company is around anymore. But this barrel is attached differently, We need to make a custom longer barrel nut.

I remember how SIA did there it was quite simple it’s too bad there not still in bussiness any longer I do remember though that there m4 style forends top rail lined up perfectly with there custom made scope rail it was a nice setup

I remember how SIA did there it was quite simple it’s too bad there not still in bussiness any longer I do remember though that there m4 style forends top rail lined up perfectly with there custom made scope rail it was a nice setup

The setup the smith was trying for me. Was to use AR15 barrel nut, But due to how the adapter for the barrel on this setup is done. The nut is too short, so a custom nut would be needed to be made, but without having a handguard to use, wouldn't know the OD thread pitch.

For these kits, would be matter of making a new barrel nut.

Easy peezy when ye use a lathe fitted with a parting blade to cut a shallow 3/16" deep trough around the barrel just ahead of the receiver to relieve the tension between the two parts. (0.015 -0.025" works good.) I then clamp the receiver in the vice (Padded with brass plates) and then undo the barrel using an antique
hydrant wrench. Pipe wrench works fine as well.

It's great to see these adapter kits out in numbers again thanks to the good folks at Wolverine. :) Lots of fun to be had with the .45 ACP in a hefty little carbine.
Tis' like shootin' a big pellet rifle, but one that dumps deer neatly enough inside 80 yds with hardcast boolits. A riot to use on grey squirrels, gophers & racoons
to boot.

Dang, now I'm gettin' the urge to do up an LE in .50 AE as a single shot to add to the fun. :runaway:

Is it possible to do without a lathe?
Do you have to make a relief cut ahead of the receiver?

You don't need a lathe, just a barrel vice and an action wrench. Soak it in some screw loose, and put a heat gun on it for a bit and it should come apart.

No. 4 barrels can be tight. Broke a scrapper loose with 600 ft-lbs or torque.
If the barrel is junk, a relief groove can be cut with a hacksaw. Groove the barrel, protect the receiver.
With a really good, properly fitted barrel vise and action wrench, a relief groove might not be necessary.
In theory, a No. 4 barrel pulled up hand tight 14 degrees off top dead center, and were then torqued to index with 120 ft-lbs. That is more than most. Most barrels have been in place for 75 or more years.
SMLE barrels are generally much easier to remove.

The setup the smith was trying for me. Was to use AR15 barrel nut, But due to how the adapter for the barrel on this setup is done. The nut is too short, so a custom nut would be needed to be made, but without having a handguard to use, wouldn't know the OD thread pitch.

For these kits, would be matter of making a new barrel nut.

SIA simply had a savage style barrel nut but the outside diameter was the same as the threads for an m4 upper receiver bang done seeing as there not in bussiness you would have to have a machine shop make a nut but really quite simple just need to know the specs and being one off part costly for most iam fortunate I have a very competent gunsmith/machinist about 8 minutes from my house that loves working with me on my out there projects

I have removed two enfield barrels using my lathe. Now I use a barrel vise and action wrench that I made and it works great. Even managed to get a barrel off that had a hidden screw that went through the receiver and into the chamber. It stripped the threads but I can chase the receiver threads and use it for something.
20200603_205809.jpg
20200528_200731.jpg

Attachments

• 20200603_205809.jpg
    20200603_205809.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 20200528_200731.jpg
    20200528_200731.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,029
You don't need a lathe, just a barrel vice and an action wrench. Soak it in some screw loose, and put a heat gun on it for a bit and it should come apart.

Just some friendly advice I have a fair amount of experiance playing with the enfields and if the barrel is on there good you have about a 1 in 10 chance of getting the barrel off with out twisting the receiver all to hell unless you have the proper armoures tools to get them off

I have a very nice barrelled savage us property marked no 4 receiver with a rusted out bore that going to my buddies and getting put in the lath I think it would be a cool build on a us made enfield seeing as the .45 acp round has its origins as a military pistol round and full American designed round but that’s just me

Thanks, but your first link doesn't work. Nor does it work in the first post, and the Mauser listing doesn't show a length either. Reading was done, but I could have looked elsewhere. Probably would have found it eventually without the condescension. Next time.

Because they are sold out of the Enfield kits, and that was just their site search for the keyword Rhineland. So it would show the Lee and the Mauser kits. Trust me, I had many people contact me the min it was listed on their site, link worked. Wolverines doesn't list the barrel length but a simple search from the actual company, or reviews of their kit does.

measured mine and its 16 1/2 inches and profiled like the one in the video.
put the kit together and it don't look so very bad .Used a #1 LE and just mocked it up
not too impressed with the mag release but that can be tinkered with
A51523A5-AEF8-4144-94C6-977D955B2A7D_1_201_a.jpgFEC090A2-5A17-4206-ABF4-8F5015000706_1_201_a.jpg

Attachments

• A51523A5-AEF8-4144-94C6-977D955B2A7D_1_201_a.jpg
    A51523A5-AEF8-4144-94C6-977D955B2A7D_1_201_a.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 997
  • FEC090A2-5A17-4206-ABF4-8F5015000706_1_201_a.jpg
    FEC090A2-5A17-4206-ABF4-8F5015000706_1_201_a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:
Thanks, but your first link doesn't work. Nor does it work in the first post, and the Mauser listing doesn't show a length either. Reading was done, but I could have looked elsewhere. Probably would have found it eventually without the condescension. Next time.

We are out of stock right now but plenty on order. If you wish to get more details on the product please feel free to reach out to us outside of this media platform directly at sales@wolverinesupplies.com and we are more than happy to discuss it with you!

We are a couple weeks out of receiving more.

measured mine and its 16 1/2 inches and profiled like the one in the video.
put the kit together and it don't look so very bad .Used a #1 LE and just mocked it up
not too impressed with the mag release but that can be tinkered with
View attachment 395479View attachment 395480

Very nice. When I called Wolverines inquiring about the mag adapter. They told me that they had to modify the stock a little bit, for the mag release to work.

So regular 7 or 8 shot 1911 mags? The mag they were using before had a rib and notch cut on the back part?

Back
Top Bottom