12g Rackmaster vs Power Point

gak

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is an unscientific test, conducted in a hurry so the wife doesn't notice I borrowed her kitchen scale.:ninja:

I usually shoot the excellent 12 gauge 2 3/4 Winchester Power Point (X12PPVP) 1oz Foster slugs at 1700 fps, but Winchester came out with their Rackmaster (S12SR1) line and I thought I'd try them out. They're 1 1/8oz slugs at a slightly slower 1625 fps.

I asked the fellow at my local store if the slugs are actually heavier, or if the extra weight is just due to the stabilizer that makes the Rackmaster's good for smooth _and_ rifled barrels, and he assured me it's a heavier slug.

At the range in my smoothbore they shot just as well as my old faithful Power Points, but at twice the cost I thought I'd see if the slug is actually heavier as the chap claimed. The Rackmaster is in black, the Power Point red:

rackmaster-vs-powerpoint1.jpg

The black plastic is the "innovative WinGlide rear projectile stabilizer".

Ok, time to weigh them. Are those footsteps ? Gotta hurry !
rackmaster-vs-powerpoint2.jpg

rackmaster-vs-powerpoint3.jpg


Booo ! They're the same weight, you're just losing velocity over the Power Points but gaining some potential accuracy from the stabilizer.

Because this is a 2 cent test, after I slipped the scale back in the kitchen and stopped hyperventilating I gave Winchester Ammunition a call.

A nice fellow named Paul agreed that it's the same one ounce slug in both shells, but they add the plastic stabilizer to the weight of the Rackmaster and call it 1 1/8oz. He said they're attached, but in my case the stabilizer fell out just from gravity. I thanked him, and he agreed if the accuracy is similar for my smoothbore I might as well save the money and still keep buying the cheaper and slightly faster Power Points for black bear.
 
now why couldn't you tell me this before I bought all those Rackmaster slugs?:rolleyes: I paid $3 more per box for stabilizers. Live and learn.
 
Since the fellow at Winchester said the Rackmaster stabilizer is "attached" to the slug, I had an idea.

Since the stabilizer pokes into the base of the slug, maybe upon firing or impact the slug crimps around the stabilizer. Therefore, it would behave like a 1 1/8oz slug downrange rather than just a slower version of their cheaper Power Point slug.

I wanted to test that theory, so I set up three water bottles in a row and blasted away to see what happened:
2lbottles.jpg


Rackmaster impact:
rackmasterimpact1.jpg


Third bottle damage:
rackmasterbottle.jpg


It blew through the first two bottles, but only managed to tear the third bottle on one side and bounce off! I found two fragments weighing 3/4oz beside the table. What was shocking was in front of the table was a pristine "attached stabilizer", the same one shown in the picture.

Apparently as soon as impact occurs or maybe even before, the stabilizer is already bailing on the slug. Therefore, you're getting a 1oz slug at 1625 fps, not 1 1/8 oz.

Next up, the Power Point:
powerpointimpact1.jpg


Third bottle damage:
powerpointbottle.jpg


It blew through all three, and 15 yards downrange I found a 1/2oz fragment. The faster 1700fps speed of this slug gives it just enough velocity to punch through that third bottle.

I still had three bottles left, so I tried the Challenger slugs I pick up at Epps once in awhile:
challengerimpact1.jpg


Third bottle damage:
challengerbottle.jpg


Wow, not only did it blow through all three, it also ripped open that third bottle!

Apparently the pointed design of the Challenger slug and the firmly attached stabilizer help it maintain enough velocity to punch through all three bottles with authority. I couldn't find the fired slug, so in the picture I included an unfired one to show how the stabilizer is firmly bonded to the slug somehow. They did a great job with this design.

I can see why the chap at Box O' Truth has so much fun testing !
 
Excellent write up! Wow, I have been sold on the power point slugs, but recently bought a couple of boxes of the rackmaster ones. I won't be bothering any long with those for all the extra money. If only Challengers were available in my neck of the woods!
 
I didn't realize that Challenger slugs use the same Gualandi slug as the Rottweil's Exact line...
Looking at the specs it seems that 2 3/4 Challengers are hotter loaded than the 3" magnum Rottweils :0)
Now does anybody know where can I get Challengers in Vancouver?
 
Back
Top Bottom