16 gauge pinfire 'horse gun' not something you see everyday

fat tony

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
I guess this is a lefaucheaux (pinfire) system.

PistolonLefa_6.jpg


By the looks of it, it is something that you fire from horseback.
 
I don't think that I have ever seen anything close to that. What is really puzzling is that while it looks like a cartridge gun, I don't think it opens up. Looks like a muzzle loading blunderbuss using a pinfire hammer to possibly fire a percussion cap

cheers mooncoon
 
I don't think that I have ever seen anything close to that. What is really puzzling is that while it looks like a cartridge gun, I don't think it opens up. Looks like a muzzle loading blunderbuss using a pinfire hammer to possibly fire a percussion cap

cheers mooncoon

maybe a tape primer

but i think that thing under the barrel is the opening lever you can kind of see its a different color then the action
 
but i think that thing under the barrel is the opening lever you can kind of see its a different color then the action

I will disagree with you there; I can see the curve of the casting blending from the "lever" right into the front of the frame. Also I see no indication of a pivot pin which should be there if the gun was a break action. I also see no indication of a vertical pivot if the gun was a side swinger.

I don't really see any indication of a nipple either but if the gun actually shoots it must have a short one

cheers mooncoon
 
Any proof marks evident?
Recently I examined a smoothbore Flintlock pistol with a Flared bbl. It didn't feel like an antique in the hand; too light to be old as the poorer quality steel made the older guns much heavier.
But the bbl has a remarkably similiar shape.
Alas the proofmarks didn't appear in my book of markings.
 
I guess I stand corrected. Tight seam and a bit of glare made me think otherwise. Still cannot understand why they would make the belled muzzle. That was a feature for ease of loading a muzzle loader, when you were bouncing around in a stage coach or on a horse

cheers mooncoon
 
I guess I stand corrected. Tight seam and a bit of glare made me think otherwise. Still cannot understand why they would make the belled muzzle. That was a feature for ease of loading a muzzle loader, when you were bouncing around in a stage coach or on a horse

cheers mooncoon

The answer is probably that Gauchos are drama - queens. Remember the Gobinda character from "Octopussy"? One of his guns was a double 12 gauge with a (?) Trumpet muzzle fastened on somehow - not sure how that was supposed to work or whether it was supposed to look dramatic or funny?

Gobinda_Bond.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom