.17HMR : Soon to be obsolete??

Slowbalt

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   2
Hey all,
I guess this is just one more gunshop unfounded rumor, but while looking around for a new toy, the owner of one gunshop told me the .17 was to soon be obsolete, with no one chambering rifles and ammo sources drying off. I believed he was full of it ( as he strangely had no .17 but many .22 mag which he tryed to sell to me ) but before to spend 600$, I just wanted to make sure.
 
i think i've heard that one about almost every caliber - just a ploy to sell you a new gun- the only time it was ever valid was the 5mm remington rim
 
the HMR has a HUGE following and many feeders...in fact, if you go to SIR online, they even have a separate section for them.

Store owner is either full of sh!t to an untrustworthy extent, or he's mistaking the HMR for the HM2...which is losing momentum and is gaining a reputation of unreliability...
 
Yah ,that and the 30.06.....

I`ve got a 17 HMR and I got to tell you, that thing is a blast to shoot ,I absalutely love it.I think the guy at the store has something up his sleeve or nothing between is ears.

BB
 
Yep, you made me look! :eek:

... or he's mistaking the HMR for the HM2...which is losing momentum and is gaining a reputation of unreliability...
I can see the HM2 losing "momentum" in sales but I think there is a market for it with lower cost ammo and its easy for manufactures to convert 22LR guns to it.

I haven't checked recently but is there a thread somewhere supporting the "unreliability" of the HM2?

I want a .17HMR. Are there any good semi rifles chambered for it?
Wrong forum. Check the rimfire section. I'm headed there, follow me! :p


Fudd
 
I want a .17HMR. Are there any good semi rifles chambered for it?

NO
17 HMR causes too many problems in a blowback semiauto that's why Ruger dropped it & Remington has discontinued it . I personaly saw a freinds 597 blow up at the range . This was the second time it happened to him .But the last time it cracked the stock , he sent it to a Rem dealer & was told Remington no longer is repairing of selling 597'S in 17 HMR but they did send him a brand new 597 in 22 Mag
 
Personally I can't see it , I call BS .
Since I got my CZ452 American I've gotten rid of all my 22's and have no intention of replacing them . This caliber rocks , it hits hard , flies flat as a pancake , has zip for recoil , etc....
This ones a keeper .
 
Browning is coming out with 2 new .17HMR's in the next month or two in their T-Bolt series. A 'Sporter' with a regular wood stock and barrel and a 'Varmit' with a target type stock similar to the Remington Police, in wood and a heavy barrel. Absolutely beautiful little rifles. I have my name down for one. So do you think Browning doesn't know what their doin'??? Someone's full of sh*t, me thinks.
 
Last edited:
Never did see the use for a .17HM2 other than a bit cheaper ammo than the HMR. .22 rimfire can easily match it. .17HMR on the other hand is hear to stay - a lot of fans. Hard to find that accuracy at the cost of shooting it, and it is a riot to use
 
Mach2 ammo and guns are on the decline. Customers never embraced this round like the 17 HMR. We heard Eley has bought the manufacturing equipment from CCI and will be the exclusive manufacturer of this caliber in the future. 17 HMR is definitely here to stay as it has a huge following and multiple manufactures are making guns and ammunition. Phil
 
Back
Top Bottom