1858 Remington Cap & Ball

Good shootin, but his history is a bit off....


The remington was actually sold cheaper then the Colt, and Ive yet read even one account of this in the heat of battle cylinder swapping.

Sure its easy at the loading bench, but in battle its just fantasy, carying multiple revolvers was really the practise as having a whole bunch of loaded and capped cylinders hanging off you during a battle is just far too dangerous.

Colt open tops were by far more popular well into the cartridge era for a good reason.

They worked well and had the trust of the fighters,ranchers,farmers,lawmen and outlaws of the time.


:nest:d:h:
 
I own a Pietta 1858 and a Uberti. There is no way you could change cylinders after 12 shots. The pin and frame is so dirty that I have had to knock the pin out with a mallet. Maybe after the first cylinder but definitely not after the second. They made those pistols heavy for a reason.
 
I own a Pietta 1858 and a Uberti. There is no way you could change cylinders after 12 shots. The pin and frame is so dirty that I have had to knock the pin out with a mallet. Maybe after the first cylinder but definitely not after the second. They made those pistols heavy for a reason.
Just put enough grease on the pin and into cylinder pin hole. I had same issue before. Now shoot >3 cylinders without sticking.
 
I own a Pietta 1858 and a Uberti. There is no way you could change cylinders after 12 shots. The pin and frame is so dirty that I have had to knock the pin out with a mallet. Maybe after the first cylinder but definitely not after the second. They made those pistols heavy for a reason.

The sticking or not sticking seems to be some subtle aspect of the design of the cylinder pin. I had a Italian navy colt that was no problem if the pin was well greased before shooting. Also had an Italian Walker Colt that jammed after two cylinders were shot.

Rather than bashing away with a mallet, stick the gun muzzle down in a bucket of warm water for 5 minutes. Water level up to about the trigger. Softens the fouling and everything slips apart easily. Obviously you have to dewater above the trigger guard but no more so than with regular cleaning

cheers mooncoon
 
The sticking or not sticking seems to be some subtle aspect of the design of the cylinder pin. I had a Italian navy colt that was no problem if the pin was well greased before shooting. Also had an Italian Walker Colt that jammed after two cylinders were shot.

Rather than bashing away with a mallet, stick the gun muzzle down in a bucket of warm water for 5 minutes. Water level up to about the trigger. Softens the fouling and everything slips apart easily. Obviously you have to dewater above the trigger guard but no more so than with regular cleaning

cheers mooncoon

The Colt design is a bit different so the cylinder gap does not line up the same way with the pin.
The Remingtons are notorious for this issue. My Pietta is terrible after one cylinder and nearly impossible after 2. Even taking it apart every cylinder to regrease only helps a bit.

One of the reasons that I like my Old Army even though its not so period correct is that they offset the barrel gap and the pin gap to keep fouling out of the pin.
 
Back
Top Bottom