1893 Marlin Project

OctaRon1

Regular
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I pick up this Marlin 1893 DOM 1904 it was hard to tell from the pics but it looked like it needed some work.
Turns out the rifle had been varnished the whole thing even the trigger was stuck.


I used paint stripper and it wiped off with paper towel no scraping at all, the stock I dd with 0000 steel wool after the varnish was off.



IMHO it turned out great, I am wondering if the finish could be original and maybe protected under the varnish for 50 or 60 years.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks Ron
 
I love varnished guns.

Usually the original finish underneath is well preserved, like on your rifle.

Great job!

Here is a picture of my Peruvian Mauser which came to me under a very thick , and protective layer of varnish:

f1212706-2cb9-4e38-b0cb-922872e7e53a.jpg


:)
 
The only blue finished 1893 Marlins of that era were the B grade models designed for Black Powder. They were only in the .38-55 and .32-40 caliber. Would need to know the serial number and the barrel markings to determine this for sure.
 
The only blue finished 1893 Marlins of that era were the B grade models designed for Black Powder. They were only in the .38-55 and .32-40 caliber. Would need to know the serial number and the barrel markings to determine this for sure.

Thanks for the info Road King, it is a 38-55 the serial number is 307642 and the barrel is marked "For Black Powder" the only markings I recall under the front stock are the JM and an R . Question can I reload with powder other than Black Powder, like H4895 light loads ?
Ron
 
That confirms that it is a B Grade 1893 Marlin. The metal in the barrels is a little softer than their standard barrels at this time. Using smokeless loads is ok but recommend lead bullets as jacketed bullets will wear the barrel out faster.
 
Back
Top Bottom